Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:42 PM

3,241 posts, read 2,324,403 times

Advertisements

For me that would be a living hell. I get all my energy from being with people. I also enjoy some alone time, but a recluse? NEVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 01:28 AM

651 posts, read 414,549 times
To become a recluse is useful if someone writes a book or finds a decision of a difficult task. The world is full of different resources and we can get them only during contacts with other people.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:36 AM

797 posts, read 749,768 times
YES please.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:58 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,144,617 times
We are very close to this now so it really would not bother either of us.
As long as Mr. CSD can watch television and I can crochet and we can see our family we would be fine.
If we could not see our family then it would not work at all.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:48 AM

15,210 posts, read 10,261,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
For me that would be a living hell. I get all my energy from being with people. I also enjoy some alone time, but a recluse? NEVER.

This is the main difference between extroverts & introverts. Introverts feel like being with people drains them where extroverts thrive on being with people. As long as I have animals around me I would be fine with being a recluse.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,419,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
This is the main difference between extroverts & introverts. Introverts feel like being with people drains them where extroverts thrive on being with people. As long as I have animals around me I would be fine with being a recluse.
I can be quite gregarious but the reality is that I'm primarily an introvert and rather shy. During one point in my career I gave dozens of public presentations as well as television, radio and print media interviews. It was easy. I simply went into character and the rest took care of itself. I never felt that being with people drained me although I have never liked crowds. Those I find somewhat suffocating and they always put me on guard. I can enjoy being with people but prefer to do so in small, easy doses.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:31 AM

29,718 posts, read 34,284,809 times
Sometimes I feel like I could--I don't have any plans for this weekend and I'm looking forward to staying home and being solitary for a day or two. But, even with things like GrubHub and Amazon, I do prefer doing my own grocery shopping and being out around people, even if I'm not really interacting with them.

I'm probably not very neighborly, either. If anything ever happened to me, they'd be on the news saying, "she kept to herself."

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-17-2017 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,676,210 times
No. While I am comfortable spending time alone, being a recluse would be too much. I'd get lonely.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 AM

15,246 posts, read 12,911,147 times
Something I meant to say in my earlier post when I mentioned my elderly neighbor:

When you withdraw from the world, often the world does not take kindly to it. Malicious people gossip and try to cause trouble.

It's tempting to imagine moving to a rural area where one could live on twenty acres of fenced and gated land and no one could bother you. But even then you cannot help intersecting with the world because your property always borders someone else's. In any event there are usually county laws that apply. So if someone wants to get at you, they can often find a way.

There is a meanness in some people that seems to say, "This person must be forced to conform." Tom Waits said it best in his song, "What's He Building"...

What's he building in there?
What the **** is he building in there?

He has subscriptions to those
Magazines... He never
Waves when he goes by
He's hiding something from
The rest of us... He's all
To himself... I think I know
Why... He took down the
Tire swing from the Peppertree
He has no children of his
Own you see... He has no dog
And he has no friends
And his lawn is dying... and
What about all those packages
he sends? What's he building in there?
With that hook light
On the stairs. What's he building
In there... I'll tell you one thing
He's not building a playhouse
For the children... What's he building
In there?

Now what's that sound from under the door?
He's pounding nails into a
Hardwood floor... And I
Swear to god I heard someone
Moaning low... and I keep
Seeing the blue light of a
T.V. Show...
He has a router
And a table saw... and you
Won't believe what Mr. Sticha saw
There's poison underneath the sink
Of course... But there's also
Enough formaldehyde to choke
A horse... What's he building
In there? What the **** is he
Building in there? I heard he
Has an ex-wife in some place
Called Mayors Income, Tennessee
And he used to have a
Consulting business in Indonesia...
But what is he building in there?
What the **** is he building in there?

He has no friends
But he gets a lot of mail
I'll bet he spent a little
time in jail...
I heard he was up on the
Roof last night
Signaling with a flashlight
And what's that tune he's
always whistling...

We have a right to know...

Old 03-17-2017, 11:22 AM

11,038 posts, read 6,604,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Oh hell yes! My dearest dream is to re-live the Twilight Zone episode 'Time Enough At Last' except, unlike Henry Bemis, I wouldn't break my glasses.

[dailymotion]x4lc1sl[/dailymotion]

My favorite Twilight Zone episode! Just broke my heart when he stepped on his glasses. I hope he could feel his way to a drugstore to get his hands on another pair....

Good point about being energized or drained by people. I have felt both ways, and hate to admit its easier just not to bother after having run into so many "drains".

Here, I don't have to get dressed or leave the house....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships