Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 04:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvbostons7489 View Post
I enjoy spending time with people sometimes. Like for example i like my exercise class and the older retired adults and spending time with my mom alot and then when i volunteered i decided i miss some alone time.
My therapist encouraged me to volunteer and go to the gym with my mom but lately i feel like i want to slip away for a while and get back to concentrate on reading more and crocheting. I don't even feel like going back to my crocheting club.
I'm practically one now. And have no desire to go back to the "other side". I'm all the company I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:17 PM

8,174 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Oh hell yes! My dearest dream is to re-live the Twilight Zone episode 'Time Enough At Last' except, unlike Henry Bemis, I wouldn't break my glasses.

[dailymotion]x4lc1sl[/dailymotion]
That is hilarious.
I was actually thinking the same thing.
I love that episode (except for the broken glasses.)

Old 03-17-2017, 09:43 PM

876 posts, read 813,348 times
When I read this article about the North Pond hermit, I felt a both envy and empathy for Christopher Knight. I understood immediately his desire to just disappear from society completely. He pulled off the ultimate "no call, no show" at his last job.

I don't condone his pilfering of people's summer cabins, which is dangerous and I think bad karma. But, he didn't hurt anyone or damage property. It's incredible that he was never caught after over 1,000 break ins over 27 years.

There are some people who just don't really fit into the mainstream. There is no place for them to go in today's world. People like Mr. Knight comprise a a good portion of the homeless population. They are society's misfits who can't take the day to day monotony of the straight life, and don't make normal connections with people.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...hermit/517770/

Old 03-18-2017, 01:38 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
I enjoy spending time with people sometimes. Like for example i like my exercise class and the older retired adults and spending time with my mom alot and then when i volunteered i decided i miss some alone time.
My therapist encouraged me to volunteer and go to the gym with my mom but lately i feel like i want to slip away for a while and get back to concentrate on reading more and crocheting. I don't even feel like going back to my crocheting club.
I already am a bit of a recluse. People suck.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:53 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Quote:
Just looking at empty streets and neighbors avoiding each other like plague, immense socio economic segregation and no natural social vibe whatsoever, I think reclusivness is a mainstream way of life these days. Whatever social interaction is out there (like "volunteering", it is mechanical, superficial and phony, it is a poor substitute for natural human environment crushed down by modern life).

Old 03-18-2017, 02:15 AM

939 posts, read 788,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Oh hell yes! My dearest dream is to re-live the Twilight Zone episode 'Time Enough At Last' except, unlike Henry Bemis, I wouldn't break my glasses.

[dailymotion]x4lc1sl[/dailymotion]
Yea I thought about it once or twice, but snapped out of it when I got to thinking about a paperback edition of TZ that was published as the show was still airing.

Possibly on the back cover of the the books description was something to the effect of... Did you ever wake up one morning and start pounding on your typewriter, only to find your typewriter (was) pounding on you?

I figured since some episodes do have that sort of irony, and by keeping it in line with the shows mindset, my glasses would be breaking me?

Old 03-18-2017, 10:25 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
What would be the hours for a recluse?

Old 03-18-2017, 10:29 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
I think people should spend their time how they want to.

A lot of people criticized me for spending so much time with my mother when I was an adult. But she has passed away and now I don't regret that time I spent with her.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:33 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times
Absolutely! My grandpa was a well known recluse - a hermit. I think his life sounded fascinating. Only thing - being alone too much is hard on the mind, I think. You need to interact with others in order to be emotionally and cognitively healthy. But still - I could enjoy being a hermit.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:10 PM

624 posts, read 370,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I think people should spend their time how they want to.

A lot of people criticized me for spending so much time with my mother when I was an adult. But she has passed away and now I don't regret that time I spent with her.
My sister in-law use to tease me a long time ago about being away from my mom and then i asked if she misses her mom and she "no". My sister in-law couldn't stand her own mother. She doesn't like my mom because my brother and my mom are close and it really annoys and now they live next door. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships