Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 05:44 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times

Advertisements

I'm mixed on this one. I certainly don't ever want to live anyone, except for perhaps my daughter. I do really love my own space and my own time. I don't care for most people, but at the same time I do like being around people from time to time and I do love my casual relationships with women. Hard to say. I'm torn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 12:04 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I can handle a reclusive life better than most but I don't want to be a total recluse. I've got 2 people living with me right now so even when they are off doing their own thing there is usually some bit of daily contact. I work a customer service type job so I have to be "on" and I'm very good at it, but I need more downtime than most and have turned down social situations for no reason except that I don't want to make conversation. I'm probably, right now, 60/40 reclusive/social but most of the social consists of work and family.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:33 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
I don't believe "introvert" is synonymous with "recluse."

Old 03-29-2017, 07:33 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Sometimes I have an overactive imagination. Frequently when I fly cross-country and look out the window I see all this vast, uninhabited space and I imagine living in a small house or cabin in the middle of it--becoming a recluse.

The open fields of the Midwest don't really appeal to me as it doesn't seem isolated enough. That's probably because I'm a lifelong Midwesterner. Mountains also don't have a lot of appeal for some reason.

After a drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas last year I imagine some little place out in the desert or high desert to truly be alone for awhile. I think the desert appeals to me because it's very different than the green forests and corn fields I grew up near.

It's all just a mental story though. I could never disappear for a long time. I love my husband, children and family too much. Maybe a few months.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:38 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
I don't get out and socialize much, or even go out much at all. I've been to the art museum, certain restaurants, a few concerts, vacations to "fun" spots since I got out of college a generation ago. Now that I've been to them, I can say "Oh well", and have not burning desire to go back. I'd rather read a book and surf the web than hang around the vast majority of people. I mean, I tried to be interested in them and even feigned enjoying myself when I'm out, but it doesn't work for me.

I hate to say it, but this is because ninety percent of the people in the world absolutely bore me. And I'm OK with that because I can find my own ways to entertain myself better than the vast majority of people - reading about astronomy, history, politics, debating issues online. The fact that I found only a tiny few places online with people I find interesting only reinforces this belief. Beyond C-D, there's an astronomy board, Paltalk and in earlier times Yahoo! Chat.

Don't get the wrong idea. I don't detest or fear going out. It's just that I think it's overrated. Sure, I can feign interest for the sake of smooth social interaction, and when I feel like it I can do it pretty well. It's just that ultimately I'm my own favorite company.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:08 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I don't like people at all, but if recluse means living alone in a little cabin somewhere, no way. Too lonely and I will go insane from listening to my own thoughts.

I like to see other people around me, but I hate crowds and don't like talking to people or forming relationships with them.
Wow...your last statement is kinda scary.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:19 PM

320 posts, read 234,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Wow...your last statement is kinda scary.
LOL. Sure sounds shocking...But, I think he may be reflecting how a lot of introverts feel.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I could do this, I think. But I would be lonely. I present as extroverted, but actually have a strong solitary streak and enjoy not being with people all the time.

But if I had to be completely solitary, I think I'd be lonely much of the time.

And once you've lived as a recluse for awhile, it would be really, really hard to reenter any sort of social life. I don't think I want this for myself, and I devoutly hope my life doesn't come to that.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
I am shocked by how many names I recognize on this thread as people who post on the City-Data a lot. Perhaps many of you get your minimal socialization needs met by being on the Forum. Interesting...

Old 04-05-2017, 03:22 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
I already live that type of life. After my fiancé passed away I just want to live alone and be left alone. I know if I started dating again my private times will be over and I love my freedom. It will just be me and my dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships