Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:15 PM

16,426 posts, read 12,529,688 times

Advertisements

Here's my issue with non-handicapped people using the automatic door opener ...

LOTS of people in my office building use it. They can't possibly all have some hidden disability. They don't NEED to use it. But they do, and the door stays open for a good 20 seconds or more; usually longer because someone strolls up just before it's going to close and hits the button again (between 7:30 and 8:00, it pretty much stays open non-stop). It's winter people! It's below 20 and windy, and you're letting all that cold air in the building. Stop. Just stop!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:23 PM

1,066 posts, read 768,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

LOTS of people in my office building use it. They can't possibly all have some hidden disability. They don't NEED to use it. But they do, and the door stays open for a good 20 seconds or more; usually longer because someone strolls up just before it's going to close and hits the button again (between 7:30 and 8:00, it pretty much stays open non-stop). It's winter people! It's below 20 and windy, and you're letting all that cold air in the building. Stop. Just stop!
At the last contract job I worked, the facilities management sent out an email asking people to stop using the auto door during cold days for that very reason.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:36 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How is it wrong or disrespectful?

Those doors, with the added mechanics, can be very difficult to open. If one has full arms or even simply cannot manage the weight of the door, what is the issue? It's not as if there is a limited number of times the door will open automatically. So what exactly is the issue?
Well, motors do wear out so there is a finite number of times that the opener will work. But in all seriousness, I completely agree with your repeated question about how a non-handicapped person's use of the opener in any way impedes the use of the opener by a handicapped person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you have to ask there is no real reason to explain since you obviously do not understand from what has already been posted.
Nope, you are the one who has studiously refrained from answering a very basic question which has been posed directly to you several times now.

How exactly does a non-handicapped person's use of the opener negatively impact a handicapped person?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 PM

711 posts, read 689,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It's an honest question. What is the problem with using the button? It's not strictly for handicapped people. It's handicap access, just like a ramp or elevator. My father's nursing home only had one door with a handicap button. I think we all truly want to know, not being snarky!
It almost sounds like this poster feels the doors aren't only an accommodation (albeit a legally required one) but a badge of honor. Like only the handicapped may use things with the Wheelchair emblem on them. It seems to represent an award of some kind.

I rather wonder what the response would be if I pushed the button to open the door for a handicapped person to pass thru. Sometimes I may be closer to the door and I can tap the button saving them an extra step or so. Because I am not handicapped, would that be disallowed too?

Old 03-16-2017, 10:53 PM

1,066 posts, read 768,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
It almost sounds like this poster feels the doors aren't only an accommodation (albeit a legally required one) but a badge of honor. Like only the handicapped may use things with the Wheelchair emblem on them. It seems to represent an award of some kind.

I rather wonder what the response would be if I pushed the button to open the door for a handicapped person to pass thru. Sometimes I may be closer to the door and I can tap the button saving them an extra step or so. Because I am not handicapped, would that be disallowed too?
There are those people that mistakenly believe the auto door button with the wheelchair graphic on it has risen to the same level/status/award/"badge of honor" (that's crazy but you very well could be right) as the dedicated handicapped parking space now. I think (most) everyone following this conversation knows that there are virtually zero consequences to a handicapped person being affected by someone using the same door.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:57 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,172,263 times
I think I understand what the issue is...

I encountered this same thinking when in another thread I commented on a state offering free tuition. I said it was a good thing, a solder - or someone connected to a soldier railed at me because "it wasn't right that non-soldiers get the benefit too."

Like the soldier issues, these people who are complaining about non-handicapped people using the door are upset that they are not the only ones permitted. That even tough it is a small thing to be able to use the button, they are upset because it is "their button." To me, this is both sad and understandable. I think many feel that they have lost something and this button that only they can use is somehow partial compensation. I may be wrong, but ths is the only way I can see that it would make sense that someone would get upset over such a issue.

It does not really matter that pushing the button has no tangible effect on anyone else, it is an ownership issue.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-16-2017 at 11:27 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 10:58 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

This is actually the best argument for limiting the use of the handicapped door opening button.

Energy Saving Tip: Mindful use of Handicap Door Buttons · Sustainability Matters at UMBC · myUMBC

As for using the handicapped accessible stall in a public restroom:

When Imperatives Collide: Handicap Bathrooms : NPR

Old 03-16-2017, 11:05 PM

876 posts, read 814,486 times
People really should not reprimand strangers about anything short of a felony. I wouldn't say anything to a seemingly able-bodied person for parking in a handicapped spot. Pushing the automatic door opener isn't even close to the same thing. It's none of my freaking business. AND you never know these days who has is a trained MMA assassin, someone you outweigh by 50lbs could give you a serious beat down.

It's funny how these people who talk out of the sides of their mouths suddenly get less brave when someone actually calls them on their bs.

There are too many psychos out there. Not that you're one. I'm sure you are completely nice to people who aren't jackholes!

Last edited by A1eutian; 03-16-2017 at 11:22 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 11:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Well, motors do wear out so there is a finite number of times that the opener will work. But in all seriousness, I completely agree with your repeated question about how a non-handicapped person's use of the opener in any way impedes the use of the opener by a handicapped person.

Nope, you are the one who has studiously refrained from answering a very basic question which has been posed directly to you several times now.

How exactly does a non-handicapped person's use of the opener negatively impact a handicapped person?
Have you ever had your wheelchair or hand stuck in a door that automatically opens and closes when someone who is not handicapped has used it? When you do have that happen and you get stitches from it you let me know how much negative impact you *did not* have.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:26 PM

711 posts, read 689,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Have you ever had your wheelchair or hand stuck in a door that automatically opens and closes when someone who is not handicapped has used it? When you do have that happen and you get stitches from it you let me know how much negative impact you *did not* have.
OK CSD, like it or not, this is your opportunity to make this a teachable moment.

It sounds like what you're saying is that if the doors were used prior to a person in a wheelchair going thru the doors would have remained open but shut after a set number of seconds. And that the door doesn't have a laser "eye" to insure that the door isn't being blocked by a person or object. Correct? If so, it seems this is something that should be corrected immediately. Not only could it injure someone in a wheelchair or who isn't able to get thru the door quickly but if a child wandered in thru the open door, the door could close on them. This seems to be more of a safety failing than a courtesy issue.

Am I understanding the issue here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships