Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 07:19 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Excellent points
I would talk to the neighbors after getting feedback from your insurance company, though. Especially if there's a pool in the yard, the insurance company might nix the whole ball-retrieving thing, unless the pool is fenced off from the rest of the yard. Even so, they may well tell you you'd be liable if a kid sprained or broke his ankle retrieving the ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 07:21 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
We have lived in our house for three years. The neighbors have three kids that play basketball every day in their backyard. The put the basket to face our backyard and it is cemented in.

Needless to say the ball comes in our backyard at least four times a week if not more. The kids come and get it climb over the landscaping, cause our dog to freak out etc.

I am really not bothered by it they are kids whatever. My husband has had it. Today he told the kid he needs to get better and stop getting the ball in our yard.

So WWYD? Just let it slide? Or say something to the neighbors?

To me the racket the dog is making would drive me crazy.

But as to what to do about kids clamoring over the fence frequently ... it's up to their parents to intervene.
They might not even know about it otherwise they would have stopped it already.
Ask them over for coffee and discuss together how to ameliorate the problem.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
From the OP:

"My husband has had it. Today he told the kid he needs to get better and stop getting the ball in our yard."
Also from the op:

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Our pool is up to code, we are not violating any laws. When we first moved in the kids would ring the bell and ask to get the ball. It happened so often my husband told them to go ahead in the backyard and get it themselves.

I think since he is home all the time it is just bothering him more than previously. For me it is part of living the way we do. If we don't want that we need to move to a larger property. My husband grew up on a larger property so thinks it is ridiculous the kids miss the basket so much. I think frankly he's a bit off his rocker with that thought.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
From the OP:

"My husband has had it. Today he told the kid he needs to get better and stop getting the ball in our yard."
Keep reading. The OP adds more to the story with each post. Further into the thread she did say that the husband allowed the kids to retrieve the ball from the yard.

Quote:
When we first moved in the kids would ring the bell and ask to get the ball. It happened so often my husband told them to go ahead in the backyard and get it themselves.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Keep reading. The OP adds more to the story with each post. Further into the thread she did say that the husband allowed the kids to retrieve the ball from the yard.
You're the one lacking reading comprehension. Yeah, when they FIRST moved in it was ok. Now, it's not because they make a constant habit of it and are abusing the privilege.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:42 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
Apologies to the OP. It's now obvious that the job situation is a sore subject. I didn't mean to personally offend your husband. My comment was meant in the vein of now that he's sitting around the house he's acting like residents who spend too much time worrying about trivial stuff. I was saying once he gets back to working and feeling productive,the nitpicking should cease.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
I feel for you, and no, it is not petty to not want kids climbing your fence and setting your dog off coming into your yard. The fence is there for a reason and people need to respect property lines.

I have a similar situation. I am currently painting the entire house so my bed is in the living room right now. The house next door was recently sold and the family that has moved in there seems nice enough - but they hadn't been there but a few days before their little dogs showed up in my yard. Yap dog puppies, cute as a button, but they shouldn't be in my yard. I found them out there and, not knowing whose dogs they were yet, took them in and watched for someone to come looking for them.

Lo and behold, its the next door neighbors. OK, things like that can happen. No problem.

However at this point I wish I had just packed them up and taken them to the no-kill shelter because these people are NOT taking care of these puppies. They are in my yard constantly - and there IS a fence. I have gone out to "rescue" them - they come into my yard looking for water, as I have a bird bath at ground level for - think of that - actual birds. I picked them up to take them back and both had ice balls stuck all over the fur of their bellies. The neighbors are keeping them in a tiny pen in their garage in below freezing weather. Apparently they are ALSO keeping parakeets in their garage in below freezing weather. Those are not going to be long-lived parakeets.

Regardless. So now the little girl is constantly IN MY FRONT YARD playing with those dogs. Because the neighbors can't or won't control their pets and their daughter, I am constantly looking up to see her peering in my front window. I wake up from a nap only to find her looking RIGHT at me through the window. The only solution I can see is to finish fencing in my front yard, including a gate across the driveway, and LOCKING it to keep her out, and her little dogs, too.

The thing is their back yard is entirely fenced. Why is she not playing with her dogs in their back yard, but instead in MY front yard? For that matter, their front yard is entirely fenced, including a gate across the driveway. So why not close that gate when she's out there playing with her puppies?

The answer is pretty obvious - because they don't care. My privacy is not being respected and as a result I have to come up with the money and energy (which is in short supply as I am disabled) to put up a fence to remedy the situation.

Your neighbors need to put up a net and stop trespassing. It's that simple. I'm sorry, but "nice" people do not constantly invade your privacy, ignore reasonable requests to NOT climb the fence after any toys or balls, or constantly ring your bell because they have once again thrown a ball over your fence. They need to solve the problem on their side of the fence.

And here's a little food for thought - what if one of these people comes over the fence and falls and lands on your dog, who then bites the transgressor because they just HURT him/her? Now you are liable for a dog bite and your beloved pet will be put down for being "aggressive". Even without the dog scenario, as another poster pointed out, there are liability issues should one of these kids or their parents gets hurt coming over the fence - no matter how illegal that is and no matter how in the wrong they are.

Nip it in the bud. Nice people don't do things like this. Period.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
You're the one lacking reading comprehension. Yeah, when they FIRST moved in it was ok. Now, it's not because they make a constant habit of it and are abusing the privilege.
No need to be rude. I understand the situation. In the post you quoted I also said that if the OP and her husband want to do things differently, they're going to have to talk to the neighbors. Otherwise they're just going to keep doing what they were told to do when a ball goes into the OP's yard.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Your neighbors need to put up a net and stop trespassing. It's that simple. I'm sorry, but "nice" people do not constantly invade your privacy, ignore reasonable requests to NOT climb the fence after any toys or balls, or constantly ring your bell because they have once again thrown a ball over your fence. They need to solve the problem on their side of the fence.
The OP said they're not climbing a fence to go into her yard. They're also not trespassing since the OPs husband gave the kids permission to retrieve the ball from their property. Since they haven't told the children otherwise, they're not ignoring reasonable requests. They're actually doing what was requested of them.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:06 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Put a lock on the gate and get a pit bull.

That ought to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships