Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:59 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
That was my first thought.

I think that would irritate me, too. When you're climbing fences and trampling landscaping AND upsetting the dog... Of course the dog probably thinks it's a game. Kid in yard - bark like crazy - kid leaves. SUCCESS! On the other hand, that might make your dog aggressive towards them.
They are not climbing fences. The OP said there is no fence. Since they're getting a ball that missed the basket, they're probably only walking a foot or two into the OP's yard. Its not like a basketball is going to land and then roll to the other side of the yard. If they are "trampling" all over the landscaping, then that is definitely something the OP needs to bring up with the parents. But the OP didn't say they were doing any damage, so I doubt that is happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 11:30 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You know this is an ******* comment. My husband was let go from his job and has been looking ever since. He works very hard around the house so please save your comments.
While the poster was somewhat harsh in their comments, there may be some truth in what they said.

You said your husband told the kids to just go in the backyard and get their ball, now it annoys him.

When people lose their job it is like a death, and things that never bothered them before now annoy them, or they have displaced anger and take it out on someone or something else.

Him working hard around the house isn't bringing in money. This has to stressful for him as well as for you.

This really isn't about a ball going into the yard.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:30 PM

894 posts, read 587,015 times
Quote:
We have lived in our house for three years. The neighbors have three kids that play basketball every day in their backyard. The put the basket to face our backyard and it is cemented in.

Needless to say the ball comes in our backyard at least four times a week if not more. The kids come and get it climb over the landscaping, cause our dog to freak out etc.

I am really not bothered by it they are kids whatever. My husband has had it. Today he told the kid he needs to get better and stop getting the ball in our yard.

So WWYD? Just let it slide? Or say something to the neighbors?
It may annoy me but I think I'd let it slide unless the kids were stomping on my plants outside or something like that.

I don't think it's worth turning such a minor matter into a feud between neighbors.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM

894 posts, read 587,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

You said your husband told the kids to just go in the backyard and get their ball, now it annoys him.

When people lose their job it is like a death, and things that never bothered them before now annoy them, or they have displaced anger and take it out on someone or something else.

Him working hard around the house isn't bringing in money. This has to stressful for him as well as for you.

You made some strong points here. You may be right.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
While the poster was somewhat harsh in their comments, there may be some truth in what they said.

There is absolute truth in my husband getting angry at more things because he is currently unemployed. However you said it with tact and not name calling. big difference.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:42 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
It doesn't have to turn into a feud. OP, are these neighbors, polite, reasonable people? If so, there s/b no problem simply having a convo. I think the issue is primarily that first he said they could come onto the property & now he's changed his mind. But it sounds like that wasn't communicated to the neighbors. No biggie, it's private property & he has every right to change his mind, he just has to let them know.

We never had a feud over it with our neighbors, just a polite, reasonable convo. In our case, they were climbing a fence. Not that it matters to me, I don't want other people in my yard, period.

In my world, my pets are as important than the neighbor's kids. In fact, moreso, b/c they're mine. Child bearing is a choice, just like pet ownership is a choice.

But I digress, just have your DH talk to them OP. He's not being unreasonable & there's no reason to think there would be a feud, unless you're leaving something out. But since he first said it was ok & now it's not, he does have to let them know that.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
It doesn't have to turn into a feud. OP, are these neighbors, polite, reasonable people? If so, there s/b no problem simply having a convo. I think the issue is primarily that first he said they could come onto the property & now he's changed his mind. But it sounds like that wasn't communicated to the neighbors. No biggie, it's private property & he has every right to change his mind, he just has to let them know.

We never had a feud over it with our neighbors, just a polite, reasonable convo. In our case, they were climbing a fence. Not that it matters to me, I don't want other people in my yard, period.

In my world, my pets are as important than the neighbor's kids. In fact, moreso, b/c they're mine. Child bearing is a choice, just like pet ownership is a choice.

But I digress, just have your DH talk to them OP. He's not being unreasonable & there's no reason to think there would be a feud, unless you're leaving something out. But since he first said it was ok & now it's not, he does have to let them know that.
Excellent points

Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
We have lived in our house for three years. The neighbors have three kids that play basketball every day in their backyard. The put the basket to face our backyard and it is cemented in.

Needless to say the ball comes in our backyard at least four times a week if not more. The kids come and get it climb over the landscaping, cause our dog to freak out etc.

I am really not bothered by it they are kids whatever. My husband has had it. Today he told the kid he needs to get better and stop getting the ball in our yard.

So WWYD? Just let it slide? Or say something to the neighbors?
I'm with your husband and am dealing with basketball neighbor annoyance as well. Those damn hoops are wreaking havoc with residential peace, quiet, and tranquility wherever they stand.

They have never been on my radar before, but now I would not even consider moving to a home with a hoop next door or even close by.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
While it is private property, the OP previously told the neighbors that they could come into their yard to retrieve the ball as needed.
From the OP:

"My husband has had it. Today he told the kid he needs to get better and stop getting the ball in our yard."

Old 03-19-2017, 07:04 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
Put up a taller fence or keep the balls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships