Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM

894 posts, read 587,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by additionvector View Post
Why were you still in college at 23? College students are supposed to be between 17 and 22(unless you continue onto grad school).
Because life happens. I graduated college at 25 and I'm not ashamed of it.

Almost the entire time, I worked a full-time job so I took much fewer courses per semester than my peers.

No shame or disgrace in the other poster graduating at 23. Heck, the point is that he or she stuck it out and DID graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 11:17 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
The vast majority of 23 years olds are ready to live on their own. I'm no exception.
Sure, but when I got my first apartment I still needed my parents to cosign the lease for me, which they were willing to do since they knew I was responsible enough. If your parents don't have your back it can make getting on your feet that much more difficult.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-21-2017 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
The vast majority of 23 years olds are ready to live on their own. I'm no exception.
Yes, they are.

And it doesn't seem to matter whether they can afford it or not.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:55 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why on earth would you want to do this unless it was a romantic relationship?

Sharing a bedroom with a roommate, you're better off with your own room at home.
This is the strange thing I see in these threads:

There are times a young adult is living with parents, both the young adult and the parents are cool with the arrangement, yet people online tell him it's better to move out and live in a one-bedroom apartment with a roommate.

I don't see any way in the world that makes sense.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM

894 posts, read 587,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, they are.

And it doesn't seem to matter whether they can afford it or not.
I agree that young people being READY to move at that age is not necessarily the same as them being able to afford it.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:59 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Go ahead and move out, then. Your parents can't stop you.

But I'm starting to understand why they think you might not be ready.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:00 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Why were you still in college at 23? College students are supposed to be between 17 and 22(unless you continue onto grad school).
There is no "supposed to be" about college. Something as simple as a change of major or a change of college can easily result in an additional year.

The Ivy Leagues these days are granting admittance to high-end HS grads and then advising a year off between high school and college--they are deliberately advising a 19-23 college career.

For most people these days, the smarter avenue is some kind of technical certification program (one or two years) after high school--something that will pay the bills--and then grazing toward a bachelor's degree on a pay-as-they-go basis.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is the strange thing I see in these threads:

There are times a young adult is living with parents, both the young adult and the parents are cool with the arrangement, yet people online tell him it's better to move out and live in a one-bedroom apartment with a roommate.

I don't see any way in the world that makes sense.
I know right?

Let's see having your own private room where you can shut the door vs. paying rent when you have to share a bedroom or sleep on the couch(either way you have zero privacy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
I agree that young people being READY to move at that age is not necessarily the same as them being able to afford it.
And of course we all know who will be making up the difference when they can't afford it.

"Hello mom........."

Old 03-21-2017, 01:22 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:

AANNNHHH!!! Wrong answer. There is no hard & fast rule for college student ages. Thanks for playing.

My son will be 23 in October and will still be pursuing his Math/Computer Science double major.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. Someone who is mature and knowledgeable enough to move out wouldn't have to ask if her/his parents could stop him/her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
Because life happens. I graduated college at 25 and I'm not ashamed of it.

Almost the entire time, I worked a full-time job so I took much fewer courses per semester than my peers.

No shame or disgrace in the other poster graduating at 23. Heck, the point is that he or she stuck it out and DID graduate.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
AANNNHHH!!! Wrong answer. There is no hard & fast rule for college student ages. Thanks for playing.

My son will be 23 in October and will still be pursuing his Math/Computer Science double major.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships