Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by additionvector View Post
That is what I'm doing. I just haven't saved up enough yet. But before long, I will.
The bottom line is, can you afford to move out?

Have you looked at housing options and found an affordable one? Can you afford to pay for utilities? Food? Can you pay your student loan debt? Can you save any money?

If not, you can't move out, regardless of what you want to do or what your parents want you to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 01:41 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Really? How am I immature? I have a job and I'm saving up. And where do you live where people can afford a house in their 20's? Zillow: Average First-Time Homebuyer 33 Years of Age And what's wrong with wanting to share with a roommate? Most 23-year-olds live on their own, so what's wrong with wanting to be in the majority?
Nothing. But sharing a 1-br. with a roommate is a tight squeeze, that's the point people were trying to make, I think. How would that work; one sleeps in the living room on a sofabed, while the other takes the bedroom? Or do you have a gf, so you'd both share the bedroom?

More info needed, OP. Is your monthly income enough to cover all living expenses? You said you'd be taking some college classes; would your income cover that, in addition to living expenses?

Of course your parents can't stop you. But you wouldn't want to end up coming crawling back to them after 6 months, because you couldn't make a go of it. That's why people are bombarding you with questions.

What was the shouting match with your dad about, exactly? Was it simply about concern about the cost of living, or are there other issues? Religious parents, or parents from another culture? Or just a weird control trip? Or maybe they didn't think it was a good idea for you to share a place with a stranger/roommate? Or maybe they're concerned that you could only afford a place in an unsafe part of town?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
[Unmentioned issues flag on]
I suppose there is a strong REASON why one would not wish to be under the roof of the parental units, and it has something to do with [censored].

Go forth, and live your own life.
And enjoy / learn from / endure all those painful learning experiences that come with it, absent any 'protection' from parental units.

If you can't learn from their mistakes, you'll learn from your own. Or not.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Well we did manage to raise two millenials who are independent and can take care of themselves. Not everyone can say that, so I'm okay with your criticism.

That's wonderful.

But nothing is guaranteed. One of them could lose their job, get ill(and I hope neither happens), etc.

A good parent doesn't just say "well once you turned 18, you're on your own regardless of whatever happens to you".

And someday you made need their help as you age.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,906 times
Default A little background--

Quote:
I'm 23 and I just graduated from college. I make a pretty cr*ppy salary right now, but I've been saving up, so I can move out and live in my own apartment. The thing is, my parents don't think I can take care of myself. I had a huge shouting match with my father the last time I talked about living on my own, so I've kept quiet about the fact that I'm saving up. The thing is, I'll have to tell my parents at some point. I know my father will get really angry with me when I tell him. I don't understand. Most parents want their adult children to live on their own and support themselves, and will do everything they can to get them out. I'm being shamed for trying to do something that the vast majority of people consider a good thing.
Did you go away to college? I suspect not based on this situation. Also, are you an only child? I think that your parents are pretty controlling and do not want to lose you. Their fear is that once you are out on your own you will start to make your own decisions and you won't need them anymore. What they fail to realize is that by trying to keep you there rather than helping you to be an independent person their efforts are likely to backfire.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 PM

894 posts, read 586,815 times
I can tell you from experience that it's VERY embarrassing to have to move back in with your parents years after moving out.

Therefore, take time first to build up Emergency Funds to minimize the chance that you would have to return to living in their home and so you can also lessen the chance of ever 1 day having to ask them to loan you rent money.

Have a decent amount of savings stored up just in case you lose your job, get your hours cut, get sick, rent gets raised, or your roommate bails on you & moves out.

Last edited by TruckWife518; 03-20-2017 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 06:37 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
How so?
Because adults would know that parents cannot STOP an adult child from moving out.

Stay at home, save lots of money, stop arguing with your parents over something that you're not even ready to do yet. Learn more about life so you have the most successful situation when it finally happens.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:10 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
OP, I am curious. How exactly do you think your parents would be able to prevent a grown man from moving out of their house?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:53 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
I can tell you from experience that it's VERY embarrassing to have to move back in with your parents years after moving out.
Not to mention awkward if you've been living by yourself all that time. I had to move home at 40 2 years ago when the building I was living in burned and rendered my apartment uninhabitable due to smoke, water and heat damage (thankfully my apartment didn't burn!). 14 years by myself, and now I had to make sure I was "properly dressed" when I was downstairs (no running around in just night shirts with nothing underneath!). And having to share kitchen space and bathroom space with 2 other people, having to close the bathroom door, and I am an introvert who doesn't "do" mornings or conversation if I'm not up to it ... I'm surprised how we made it work with 2 adults and 3 kids when I was growing up!

Thankfully, I've been back on my own for 7 months, and loving it!!! But I am thankful that my parents let me move home, and stay as long as I did (my building was supposed to be rebuilt, but that fell through). Saved my having to scramble and find another apartment so soon.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 AM

12 posts, read 11,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Because adults would know that parents cannot STOP an adult child from moving out.

Stay at home, save lots of money, stop arguing with your parents over something that you're not even ready to do yet.
The vast majority of 23 years olds are ready to live on their own. I'm no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships