Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:56 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,418,237 times

Advertisements

Funny. (in general) how hard it is to figure out how to say no. It isn't as easy at it seems to outside people.

I don't even think it's at all socially acceptable to say just 'no'. We have to say I'm sorry but ...and give the real reason or a fake one ........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 09:31 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,149,198 times
I don't recommend this at all but to this day, find it amusing.. a co-worker who wanted someone to stop asking him for rides home, managed to do the 35 minute trip in 17 minutes. He said she covered her eyes and screamed for most of the trip, could barely walk when she got out of the car, and never asked again!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:17 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,114,250 times
I cant give you a ride home anymore, it is the only me time I have

My SO is uncomfortable, so no more

It is not appropriate

I see you at work all day.

Some people like it easy and avoid taking the train or bus because it is so easy to get dropped off at home.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:20 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,406,925 times
I like telling him you need to decompress or let the dog out to go to the bathroom. Gym.
I had a similar situation during a 60 mile commute ONE WAY to an internship. I met her at Fiesta Mall (I live in Queen Creek). So naturally I would meet her there. She never offered to drive and I think it was because of money issues. After the 4 time a week commute and 480 miles she gave me $20 bucks and that was it. Pleasant but talked too much. I went the distance and did it but begrudgingly. Will NEVER do it again. I have a child so that helps.
Good luck!

Old 03-22-2017, 01:25 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,349,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I cant give you a ride home anymore, it is the only me time I have

My SO is uncomfortable, so no more

It is not appropriate

I see you at work all day.

Some people like it easy and avoid taking the train or bus because it is so easy to get dropped off at home.
OMG, I could never be that direct with someone. It's an especially sticky situation because it's the cousin's husband. I'm in a similar situation with a legally-blind friend who's trying to get rides with me to weekly events in another town. She knows I'm going anyway, but I HATE having people depend on me for rides...takes away my independence of coming/going whenever I feel like it.

I think a "fake story" would be easier. Like, "Hey, I'm not going to be able to drive you home anymore, I've signed up for a course after work...". Something that would not be a one-off like grocery-shopping, which doesn't have to be done every night. Unless you think the cousin or husband would snoop around and bust you, like seeing your car at home. I know lies can end up being more trouble than the truth, but I just don't see how you say "I want to be alone and you get on my nerves" type of thing without causing major friction.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:00 AM

7,936 posts, read 7,285,378 times
Today:
"Can't today, man. Sorry."

Next day:
"Oh wow, can't today, man. Sorry."

Next day:
"Yeah, I really can't today, man. Sorry."

Repeat as necessary. He'll get the idea. If you offend him, so much the better.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:26 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,003,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Did you not read what the OP wrote? You can't use that excuse when it's on your way, as it is in this case.

Apologies. I misread.

In that case, "Sorry, you're going to have to find a different way home, it's just not convenient for me anymore."

Or just "no"

*shrug*

Old 03-22-2017, 10:30 AM

17,590 posts, read 15,296,800 times
I think lying is heinous, so just say you need to alter your plans and coworker/cousin's husband will have to make other commuting arrangements.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,403,180 times
Tell him no and to try Uber.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:32 AM

18,363 posts, read 31,442,540 times
my drive time is my detox time..

my car was in the shop one day, so i was able and willing to take the subway home, one of my co workrs insisted on taking me home by his car.

I really wante to takw the train and be all in my thoughts....but he kept on insisting, saying he was passing my way.
so i agreed.
it was the longest 20 minutes of my life...
ergh, I hate making small talk and wanted to daydream....

mental note: i never tell people when my car is being fixed.

just say no, im not going your way todau...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships