Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 07:39 PM

161 posts, read 405,457 times

Advertisements

All semester, I've been on a team (6ppl) in which we have to do a new project every week ---off campus. As we all live away from campus, we've been meeting at the homes of two members who live closer to campus all semester, but still 20 minutes away from campus (over 45 minute commute for the rest of us). This arrangement has been fine, considering we all have cars and have been very cooperative overall.

In April, we all have to do an individual Final Project in which we still have support one another as a team. I've asked the team to join me at my place one night because I have the all the materials to create my project there. Everybody told me that would be just fine, even though it would mean a 30-40 minute commute each. But now, three have come forward saying "that I can't drive that far". Leaving the other three hanging as they expect us to pick them up and then bring them home. These teammates are all 21 yrs and older, so it's bothering me that they are not willing to compromise by driving a little further for just one night, when the rest of us have been doing it all along. I want to be straight-forward, but trying to understand everybody's level of driving comfort is different.

BTW... the commute would be in a safe area, on easily navigated urban/suburban highways.

How would you tactfully negotiate for everyone to try to drive themselves???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 08:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I wouldn't. I would just let them get there however they can, especially given that it's at YOUR house and it's the LAST project.

You can't force them to do anything, unfortunately.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I HATED enforced team/group crap in college. It's your turn to say you can't drive that far. There's no way to make everyone happy. You need to be one of the brats who says enough it enough.

My guess is that they have also depended on you to an unfair degree for a lot of the project. So, you're probably in a stronger position than you think. They probably need you and they know it. So, just say, nope. Can't drive that far again. But, you're all welcome to finish things up at my place. Otherwise, I'll just let the professor know what my contribution has been and hope we all pass.

Then, watch them all find a way to your place.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:53 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I HATED enforced team/group crap in college. It's your turn to say you can't drive that far. There's no way to make everyone happy. You need to be one of the brats who says enough it enough.

My guess is that they have also depended on you to an unfair degree for a lot of the project. So, you're probably in a stronger position than you think. They probably need you and they know it. So, just say, nope. Can't drive that far again. But, you're all welcome to finish things up at my place. Otherwise, I'll just let the professor know what my contribution has been and hope we all pass.

^^^ this

Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I second this motion. You've been driving for five months now?

"My way or the highway." Or if they choose, no highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships