Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:19 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,470 times

Advertisements

I have been best friends with two people for almost 25 years now, but recently one of them reunited with two of her old best friends from grade school, so we all now hang out together. I would not be friends with those two people if not for the best friend. They just have questionable integrity issues that I can't fathom such as how they treat other people, especially their spouses and kids. One of them reminds me of Regina George where people are just nice to her because she's pretty, but honestly, I always thought she was ugly to the bone.

The other friend is just always a couple hours late to events and cancel plans at the last second. She finds no fault in this and this is just her normal self. I'm a planner and if I say I'm going to be there, I will be there, so I find people who do that selfish and inconsiderate.

So when we hang out, it is fine, but I always feel kind of fake because I'm faking that I like those two other people when I don't. They are not terribly bad to hang out with, but when it comes to life decisions, we do not share the same ideas and values. I know I'm not the only one because my other best friend doesn't feel comfortable hanging out with the other two as well, especially the Regina George one. Also, Regina George basically just shoved herself back into our group of friends after not being there for 20 years.

There's not much I can do, but go along with it and not hang out with them quite as often. I am pretty sure Regina George and the undependable friend doesn't like me either. Overall, we have a lot of fun times, so I just endure it for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:15 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
I have acquaintances who I don't particularly like but I like all of my friends.

If I was in your shoes I would most likely try to get alone time with the best friend and limit the group outings with the two who you don't like. You could still get together as a group occasionally but just not regularly since you dislike their company.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:09 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
OP, haven't you had other issues with one of your very long-term friends? Maybe the fact that she (or they) is friends with these other two reveals something about her character. I think you should re-evaluate your friendships, and work on finding new friends that are more compatible with your values.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:01 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, haven't you had other issues with one of your very long-term friends? Maybe the fact that she (or they) is friends with these other two reveals something about her character. I think you should re-evaluate your friendships, and work on finding new friends that are more compatible with your values.
Never really had any issues with the other friend except when she bailed out on me a few times. The Regina George friend, however, has always been pretty mean to people, and I never understood why people bowed down to her (even if people thinks she is physically pretty). If I ever complained about a friend on here, it's probably the same Regina George friend.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:00 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
I have been best friends with two people for almost 25 years now, but recently one of them reunited with two of her old best friends from grade school, so we all now hang out together. I would not be friends with those two people if not for the best friend. They just have questionable integrity issues that I can't fathom such as how they treat other people, especially their spouses and kids. One of them reminds me of Regina George where people are just nice to her because she's pretty, but honestly, I always thought she was ugly to the bone.

The other friend is just always a couple hours late to events and cancel plans at the last second. She finds no fault in this and this is just her normal self. I'm a planner and if I say I'm going to be there, I will be there, so I find people who do that selfish and inconsiderate.

So when we hang out, it is fine, but I always feel kind of fake because I'm faking that I like those two other people when I don't. They are not terribly bad to hang out with, but when it comes to life decisions, we do not share the same ideas and values. I know I'm not the only one because my other best friend doesn't feel comfortable hanging out with the other two as well, especially the Regina George one. Also, Regina George basically just shoved herself back into our group of friends after not being there for 20 years.

There's not much I can do, but go along with it and not hang out with them quite as often. I am pretty sure Regina George and the undependable friend doesn't like me either. Overall, we have a lot of fun times, so I just endure it for now.
Remember, whoever you hang out with, you will be perceived as being like them, if they are not liked by many people. Birds of a feather. I know you don't care for her actions, however, you might soon get tired of it and leave the group. That is what I did....there was a woman in the group who was, well, she and I had nothing in common, so I chose to leave the whole group, it was difficult at first, but not so much once I got used to it.

The other friend you speak of is an opportunist, and will go where the wind blows her....not a good friend. The older you grow the less patience you will have for these kind of people and cut them out of your life....I did....it's a slow process but after a while, you just have enough. When it's not fun any longer, you've got to make a change.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:20 PM

473 posts, read 307,483 times
No, I don't like to pretend and lie and keep a show up.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
No, I don't like to pretend and lie and keep a show up.
You're a rare flower, most folks are too concerned with what the person might say.

'I don't really like so-and-so, but I'll pretend to because they might not like me, and I'll die if I don't get literally everyone's approval.'

Old 04-05-2017, 04:59 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
I used to be good friends with this one woman, but I downgraded her to an acquaintance and rarely talk to her anymore because I don't recognize the person that she has become. She used to be fun to talk to and be with. Now she is married and stays home while her husband goes out and works. Fine if it works for them, but she is constantly vaguebooking about how she does everything and gets no appreciation. She does nothing to change it, so maybe she likes it to some degree, I don't know. She became ultra-conservative and anyone who disagrees with her political views is a moron or some other creative insult that I cannot post here. I don't have time for that nonsense and have other people to spend my time with.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:24 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
There's a person in my social group I don't care for. I grin and bear it as the rest of the group is fun. This particular person can be fun but she's very nosy and obnoxious.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:44 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Well it is not so much not liking them as some of the things they do . I have tried to tell a certain person in our group if you keep doing this , we are going to have a problem . If they keep doing this certain thing let them go because they are not really interested in maintaining the friendship .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships