Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 03:57 PM

160 posts, read 163,216 times

Advertisements

A lot people asking me where I from and I tell them.
I'm not offended why would I be offended if someone want to know.
A lot people never meet people from different states or countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 06:29 PM

343 posts, read 316,833 times
When a person ask someone "Where are you from?", that is a broad generalization. I feel that, instead, the question that should be asked is: "What is your heritage/family ancestry?"

Old 04-16-2017, 06:53 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
In some countries, people have no problem asking these questions. We are even told that asking such questions are part of their culture. Our culture is apparently a culture of Appologists and many are afraid of thier shadows.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Apparently ancestry is big business given all the ads from the likes of Ancestry .com, etc.

Just don't ask anyone their results, I guess .....

Old 04-16-2017, 07:20 PM

160 posts, read 163,216 times
[quote=ss20ts;47858248]Not a snowflake. Asking someone you don't know personal questions is rude! Part of my heritage is very obvious from my surname. And I can tell you there have been dozens of times people have made extremely offensive comments to me because of it....people who don't even know me. It's just down right rude![/QUOTE

Just wish them " Have a beautiful day" with biggest smile.
It works I say this the people calling me names such as bi..., etc.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:18 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Depends on the person honestly.

I'm "obviously" black (about the same complexion as LeBron James). The only time my ethnic heritage was questioned was during college. White Americans knew right away that I was black American but south Asians, east Asians and many 1st/2nd generation African students would ask were I was from. Then they'd ask where my parents were from. My first name is a simple old-Latin name and my last name is Gaelic in origin. People would guess Ghana, Nigeria, Liberia, Sierra Leone etc. I'd be like "no, I'm a 10th+ generation American." Perhaps it was a compliment, albeit a back-handed one. Made plenty of friends though. I was a sort of cultural ambassador, showing them that people are people and we aren't as different from each other as we'd like to believe.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:43 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
nope, dont see how rude or annoying that is..
unless, of course, you are a snowflake, who gets offended and annoyed anytime anyone speaks to you...
When you've been asked 5-7 times a week for 15 years, let me know if you still don't think it's annoying.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:53 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
Here's how it usually goes:

Where is your accent from?

Oh I thought it was from xxx country, you don't sound like you are from there.

How did you end up here?

Is your husband also from there?

Do your kids have your accent?

How do you like living here vs there?

Do you go back often?

Is your family all still there?

Are you going to stay in America?

Meanwhile I've just had the exact same conversation yesterday and maybe already today, and I'm having it all over again. And there's no polite way to avoid it. I've tried.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:28 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post

But if you really want to know, start with, "I hope this isn't rude of me, but I was just curious to know where you're from?"
Sometimes when I am traveling and someone asks where are you from, I answer from Philly. I know that's not what they wanted to hear! How about this? You are a Mexican-born American citizen living in Arizona and are traveling in Europe. What's your answer to where are you from?

Old 04-16-2017, 09:42 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
My hubby is kind of exotic looking, so he gets asked about his background quite often. Doesn't bother him in the least. In fact he kind of likes looking different from the crowd.
The reason some people might hesitate to answer the question is politics. People freely and proudly admit they are "Italian", or "Irish" because there is no stigma. The same cannot be said if you are, say a Palestinian, or from any number of Islamic countries. I was riding Uber the other day and the conversation with the driver eventually got to this point. He was really hesitant to say he was an Afghan. This brings up another question. Will you ever become not-an-Afghan no matter how many years you've lived in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships