Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:13 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times

Advertisements

I think I'm a good reader of people and can tell if someone doesn't like or approve of me.
And that's fine. I'm not looking to win any popularity contests. You don't like me, it's your problem, not mine - I know my worth and what I bring to the table.
Anyway, in my 50+ years, I've had maybe two people tell me to my face, "I don't like you." But I've had a score of others who I can tell also didn't like me; their facial expressions, body language, tone of voice, etc. were dead giveaways.

Would you rather have someone actually tell you they didn't like you, or would you prefer them not tell you but convey it in their demeanor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 01:14 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
...Would you rather have someone actually tell you they didn't like you, or would you prefer them not tell you but convey it in their demeanor?
I couldn't care less. Life isn't a popularity contest. Do you like me now?

Old 04-16-2017, 01:22 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Hm. IDK. I don't think anyone's ever said that to me. Mad at me, sure. But not 'I don't like you'. That's hard to imagine. We all have been able to tell by demeanor/responses to us.

I know the GM at the eye clinic doesn't like me. I tested her the other day to confirm. I said oh, hi ______! What do you think about these glasses? Are they dreadful or are they cute?

She shook her head like 'don't talk to me' and said 'sure, they look great'. lol!

I know why she doesn't like me and I don't care. The feeling is mutual.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:34 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I think I'm a good reader of people and can tell if someone doesn't like or approve of me.
And that's fine. I'm not looking to win any popularity contests. You don't like me, it's your problem, not mine - I know my worth and what I bring to the table.
Anyway, in my 50+ years, I've had maybe two people tell me to my face, "I don't like you." But I've had a score of others who I can tell also didn't like me; their facial expressions, body language, tone of voice, etc. were dead giveaways.

Would you rather have someone actually tell you they didn't like you, or would you prefer them not tell you but convey it in their demeanor?
I would rather have people like me, but if they don't, I don't have to be told... I can feel it and would have a fairly good guess as to why. (an event from years ago that they disapproved of but weren't involved in)

That's their problem, not mine. I am very well liked by the people around me who are important to me and that's all that matters.

My Motto: Those that mind, don't matter. Those that matter, don't mind. It's a good rule to stick to when looking at one's self.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:41 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I would rather have people like me, but if they don't, I don't have to be told... I can feel it and would have a fairly good guess as to why. (an event from years ago that they disapproved of but weren't involved in)

That's their problem, not mine. I am very well liked by the people around me who are important to me and that's all that matters.

My Motto: Those that mind, don't matter. Those that matter, don't mind. It's a good rule to stick to when looking at one's self.
I actually have a lotus/dragonfly tattoo with that phrase, on my ankle. But anyway...

I don't know. I guess I would rather have someone have the guts to tell me to my face instead of any number of passive-aggressive gestures.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Either way, if the person doesn't like you, what difference does it make?

If you can sense it, do you really need them to tell you? For what purpose?

Old 04-16-2017, 08:25 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
I doubt I would even notice if someone didn't like me. Plenty of people do, so what do I care about the others? I'm not a narcissist or a celebrity whose income depends on being liked.

Can't recall anyone ever being so rude as to say it or loud though.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Either way, if the person doesn't like you, what difference does it make?

If you can sense it, do you really need them to tell you? For what purpose?
Makes no difference IMO.
And if you can sense it, I figure the best thing is to just act as if they don't exist!

Old 04-16-2017, 08:35 AM

226 posts, read 298,027 times
I would prefer they not say it to my face. If they did I would think they were looking for a fight and I wouldn't want to give them the satisfaction. I would ignore them. It would hurt though. Thankfully that hasn't happened yet.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherron View Post
I would prefer they not say it to my face. If they did I would think they were looking for a fight and I wouldn't want to give them the satisfaction. I would ignore them. It would hurt though. Thankfully that hasn't happened yet.
As I mentioned, I've had 2 people tell me upfront. Back in the day my response would be, "Let's step outside and settle this." Now it's, "I'm sorry you feel that way." and disassociate myself from the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships