Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Which one are you purporting to be in that scenario???

Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

Now, I have nothing against the building residents personally. I started off treating them with how I wanted them to treat me: with a balance of warm politeness and respectful distance. Basically, exchange greetings, "how's your day?", "how's family?", and mostly leave it at that. Maybe even exchange an idea of two: I'd tell them about a recent phone scam, and they'd share an old country recipe.
Is it just me or does this sound really far fetched? Sorry if this is out of line, but this just seems too scripted and affected.

I dunno, if I'm visiting grandma I'm just motoring to an elevator and maybe waving and saying hello at the most.

But whatever.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
Quote:
Those who are hating on me for wanting to be seen as a real person, as opposed to having some "marriageable man" idea projected onto me, do this: google "Hot Topic employee stalker".

It talks about a nerdy guy who came to a Hot Topic store, and saw a cute employee he liked. All well and good... until he tracked down her [social media] information, and started bombarding her with messages, saying how she was a "geek girl" he's been wanting to meet. At the end, she reacted as you'd expect. I'm seeing a lot more parallels to that than to Pinocchio.

I realize there's a difference between a nerd and an elderly immigrant, but their actions are quite similar, minus the [social media].
Yes, I can see little matchmaking old ladies seem like threats to you. Pretty sure you could hold your own or outrun them.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Which one are you purporting to be in that scenario???
I think that's pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I dunno, if I'm visiting grandma I'm just motoring to an elevator and maybe waving and saying hello at the most.
Same for me. The verbal exchanges were mostly niceties on my part, since I usually see the same people, and wanted to extend some goodwill. (Which other people here said I should do anyway.) Nothing grand, just a byproduct of conversations I got into while waiting to sign the visitors' log.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Oh please. I'm surrounded by millennials every day of the week and the self-involvement is rampant. It is, after all, the generation of millennials that launched "micro-aggressions" and "trigger warnings." Apparently, it is now a class-based "micro-aggression" to ask someone if they've been to Europe. A generation of thought-police out to punish anyone who doesn't conform to their self-centered view of the world.
I agree with Dissenter. I have Millennials in my family and among my friends, and "trigger warnings" and "micro-aggression" are not part of their vocabulary. They're not self-absorbed; they're too busy working and travelling, or launching a non-profit. They're hard workers with a lot to offer the world.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Those who are hating on me for wanting to be seen as a real person, as opposed to having some "marriageable man" idea projected onto me, do this: google "Hot Topic employee stalker".

It talks about a nerdy guy who came to a Hot Topic store, and saw a cute employee he liked. All well and good... until he tracked down her [social media] information, and started bombarding her with messages, saying how she was a "geek girl" he's been wanting to meet. At the end, she reacted as you'd expect. I'm seeing a lot more parallels to that than to Pinocchio.

I realize there's a difference between a nerd and an elderly immigrant, but their actions are quite similar, minus the [social media].
I'll tell ya this.

Some time ago I heard the phrase, "the 180* opposite of dysfunction = dysfunction." And I believe it.

You grew up under less than ideal parenting.

You have a handful of friends that went the traditional route with marriage.

Welcome to "that happens a lot." But...you seemingly dwell on it and have adopted (or are trying to appear as such) a set of attributes in opposition to that and are clinging to them in ways that typically indicate the same level of insecurity as, say, your friends that you believe married early.

There's nothing wrong with choosing the things that feel good to you.

But there's something very inauthentic when you constantly fly banners proclaiming things like "I AM COMMITTED TO HIGH-IBU BEERS!!" or "I MUST SALSA DANCE UNTIL 2AM!!" or "ACKNOWLEDGE MY DARK AND BROODING IMAGE THAT I AM CRAFTING OR ELSE!!!" I think these kids of manifestos drive people away in general; they can see through it.

I did a little bit of that in my mid-20s. Some of my most authentic and happiest times, though, was when I went off script and enjoyed a freaking mass-produced lager and realized that nobody gave a S or even noticed, or when I dated someone SO not my type for the hell of it and realized that nobody gave a S or even noticed, etc.

be real. Not a stereotype, even if it's a stereotype in opposition to another stereotype.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I think that's pretty obvious.
So you're "the stalker," the one who has run with an idea, won't let go and has completely misinterpreted the situation?

Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So you're "the stalker," the one who won't let go and has completely misinterpreted the situation?
Nope, I meant the Hot Topic worker, who just wanted to do her job and not have people make assumptions about her.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Nope, I meant the Hot Topic worker, who just wanted to do her job and not have people make assumptions about her.
Oh oops. Ya that wasn't obvious to me at all.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:14 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Is it just me or does this sound really far fetched? Sorry if this is out of line, but this just seems too scripted and affected.
Plus, the idea that you can dictate what casual strangers can and should think about you is odd. That's not how interactions work. Heck, the old people might be put off that MU thinks they're so unsophisticated that they need to be warned about scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships