Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 06:09 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

I haven't noticed that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 06:23 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I haven't noticed that at all.
I haven't either, it's reserved for family and very close friends. Yes to the hugs!!

Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 AM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
A hug, an embrace is a bond.

If someone is offering you that, for goodness sake's take it. Its a good thing!!

Now "love ya", that's entirely different. My neighbor says that to me.
She's funny and lighthearted. We care about each other but we aren't in love.

"love ya" is a half-hearted, spoken with a little sugar.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Love: a feeling or emotion that is stronger than like

I have friends for which I have a stronger emotion or feeling than like. My heart would hurt if anything happened to them. That to me IS love. Love should not be reserved for family members only.

How can it be?

From childhood I remember being told to love our fellow man. A closed heart is a lonely heart.

Sure, there are times when it is said flippantly, but who are we to say that the person saying it doesn't actually feel it in their heart? Is it not a feeling? One that is personal to the giver of the emotion? You as the receiver of the emotion may not feel the same way. It still doesn't nullify the givers feeling.

If you (General you not anyone specific) don't like friends saying I love you or don't feel like they should love you, do you only 'like' them. Would your heart not hurt if they should die? Love is a heartfelt (really) emotion.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We always say that in my family (but not my extended family - never, and we do not hug or show affection. A bunch of stoic swedes and danes). One day really tired, I talked with my wife, then my daughter, then my secretary. Ended with "Ok Thanks, love ya bye." I had to call back and apologize and explain it was just habit.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I haven't either, it's reserved for family and very close friends. Yes to the hugs!!
Only in more recent years did my family (meaning siblings) begin to hug a bit here and there when we part at holidays. It really wasn't a thing in my family when we were younger.

I never thought anything of it until I was in my 20s and a group of friends were out. As everyone parted, my one friend hugged her other other friends and then she approached me, stopped, and said, "Oh you don't hug."

I do hug with that friend now, but hugging other adults was a foreign concept to me until well into adulthood.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:24 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
No one says, "Love ya!" to me. We just say "Bye, see ya later" or some such.

The hugging thing annoys the heck out of me. I don't come from a physically demonstrative family and it just feels weird to get grabbed and squeezed up to someone's body I don't really know or like that much.

One especially weird instance was when I met my nephew's girlfriend. We were introduced, then she said, "It's nice to meet you" and went in for a hug.

I almost stepped back but figured that would seem rude so hugged back briefly. It was very awkward.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post

Sure, there are times when it is said flippantly, but who are we to say that the person saying it doesn't actually feel it in their heart? Is it not a feeling? One that is personal to the giver of the emotion? You as the receiver of the emotion may not feel the same way. It still doesn't nullify the givers feeling.
The way it's done does not come off as sincere, it's an affectation, it's trendy, it's meant to show the world you are a warm and giving person, whether you truly are or not. In that respect it's is a trend of showing off that I don't care for.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
You know if friend said goodbye with a "love ya" I'd be fine with that.

English does not have a good range of words for love. "Like ya" doesn't have the right ring to it does it?

In our present culture we are free to love certain music, days off, favorite restaurants, and whomever we want. I do not think using the phrase in question trivializes the word love. I think when someone says, "love ya," We should be thankful.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:54 AM

204 posts, read 181,589 times
Love ya, as in love your neighbor. More of an action and less of a feeling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships