Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That is called conformation bias. And if you have never had your opinion changed by speaking to someone with a different set of experiences that you, that is literally "close-minded". So why should someone bother debating their stances on something subjective if you have never once changed your mind through a discussion?
I never said I only read and listened to things that agreed with the opinions I already had. I listened to a wide varity of different people and ready many conflicting articles and came to my own consensus from that.

Going back to my religious years, when I first started questioning religion I started watching religious debates, religious and atheist speakers, such as Kent Hovind, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Jerry Fallwell, and many others, so I heard opinions from every side of the issue and realized that skeptisism and atheism were the logical conclusion from all the evidence. I didn't just go out and cherry pick articles in support of religion to justify my then belief in a god, I heard many, many different sides of it and came to my own conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 06:17 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
No, I'm actually pretty reserved most of the time and keep to myself, I sort of "Only speak when spoken too". But if I'm having a conversation with someone and they say something I don't agree with, I'm sure not going to keep it to myself out of fear of "offending" them. As I said before, if you share your opinion on something you should be ready for someone else in the conversation to disagree with it. You should just be able to state your opinion and everyone else has to keep their mouth shut so as to "not start an argument".

Right. You end the conversation with "I'm not going to debate my beliefs", that ends the conversation. You state your belief, and the conversation ends.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-24-2017, 08:56 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
What do you guys think of a person who, when their beliefs are questioned in any way, resort to saying "Well, I'm not going to argue or debate you about it, it's just what I believe". For example, I was in a discussion with a person who said there are only two genders, male and female. I said "what about hermaphrodites, what gender are they?" and their response was basically "I'm not arguing about my beliefs, there's male and female and that's it, case closed." These people can't stand for their beliefs to be questioned in any way because "That's just what I believe."

I also think it's a weak cop out for someone who doesn't have any valid reasons to support their beliefs/arguments besides their emotions. I've had teachers like this before, they make a decree and say "I'm not going to debate you, it is the way it is." and as far as I'm concerned that makes you a weak person that's unable to stand up to scrutiny or defend their own argument, because they don't really have an argument. It's basically "It is what it is because I said so, and I don't have to defend myself or justify my beliefs, or ever question or even think about them, because all that matters is I have a right to my beliefs/thoughts, whether they be right or wrong". And that's totally the wrong way to go about life, if you go around thinking you already know everything, you'll never learn anything new or give any other view points a thought because, in your mind, you already have it all figured out, and don't need to defend yourself against criticism.

What do you guys think?
Some people do this for a couple of reasons, they chose to not have their mind changed or they have had discussions and it usually goes negative and nasty so they say the hell with it and don't bother. Many many people aren't really open to discuss a particular point. They want to argue. Discussion with an honest and open intent to have a mutual back and forth and a potential changing of views. This discussion is much different than just arguing with no intent of mutual exchange of ideas or mostly just to "win" at all costs.

That's not fun at all. I'm consider myself to be an open minded guy and with a compelling argument I can possibly be swayed in my opinions. For the most part, not entirely and of course it depends on how compelling at argument is made and if it appears valid or not.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:36 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Take **** fighting which is popular here. I will not change my mind that is inhumane, and I am not inclined to argue that. I made the effort to watch one before I made that decision set in stone.

I like to debate and hear other opinions, and many things I do not have set belief, it's my current opinion pending further information. I like talking to people with opposing views, but at a certain point we will have to agree to disagree.

Or more recently, the use of an ecollar to assist in training my large Rhodesian ridgeback/bully mix puppy. It's sound, vibrate and shock. HUGE out cry on thread about how cruel it is. I disagree and will not argue it. I read what was said and just stopped responding.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-24-2017, 10:01 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Take **** fighting which is popular here. I will not change my mind that is inhumane, and I am not inclined to argue that. I made the effort to watch one before I made that decision set in stone.

I like to debate and hear other opinions, and many things I do not have set belief, it's my current opinion pending further information. I like talking to people with opposing views, but at a certain point we will have to agree to disagree.

Or more recently, the use of an ecollar to assist in training my large Rhodesian ridgeback/bully mix puppy. It's sound, vibrate and shock. HUGE out cry on thread about how cruel it is. I disagree and will not argue it. I read what was said and just stopped responding.
There are things that are non-negotiable but I'm not sure if that is what the OP is talking about or not. We're not going to have a rational conversation if were talking about female genital mutilation or whether or not an organization like NAMBLA is right or wrong. Those are just off the table as far as I'm concerned.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
There are people like the OP who always want to go around and debate everyone's beliefs, trying to make the look ridiculous.

A persons own beliefs are personal, and not something to be argued with every Tom, Dick, and Harry. To expect them to debate their beliefs and pushing them to do so, is being obnoxious and shows lack of manners and respect for others. It is not considered acceptable in polite society, and is considered extremely low class to so so.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:09 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
I never said I only read and listened to things that agreed with the opinions I already had. I listened to a wide varity of different people and ready many conflicting articles and came to my own consensus from that.

Going back to my religious years, when I first started questioning religion I started watching religious debates, religious and atheist speakers, such as Kent Hovind, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Jerry Fallwell, and many others, so I heard opinions from every side of the issue and realized that skeptisism and atheism were the logical conclusion from all the evidence. I didn't just go out and cherry pick articles in support of religion to justify my then belief in a god, I heard many, many different sides of it and came to my own conclusion.
More evidence of confirmation bias, you ignored the entire end of my post.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Right. You end the conversation with "I'm not going to debate my beliefs", that ends the conversation. You state your belief, and the conversation ends.

That seems very one-sided to me. It's like "I can state my beliefs and then shut down the conversation because no one can debate or question what I said".

Old 04-25-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There are people like the OP who always want to go around and debate everyone's beliefs, trying to make the look ridiculous.

A persons own beliefs are personal, and not something to be argued with every Tom, Dick, and Harry. To expect them to debate their beliefs and pushing them to do so, is being obnoxious and shows lack of manners and respect for others. It is not considered acceptable in polite society, and is considered extremely low class to so so.
Again, if you are willing to state your beliefs, you should be ready for someone to question/ disagree with them. If you are allowed to share your opinion, then so are they, and I don't consider it "rude" and "obnoxious". I consider it rude and obnoxious to think that it's okay to state your opinion and then shut down the conversation because "I don't want to hear any contrary opinions or what anyone else has to say". To me, that seems way more selfish and egotistical than hearing what someone else has to say.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
More evidence of confirmation bias, you ignored the entire end of my post.
I don't see how researching a subject and seeing it through a bunch of different viewpoints is "conformation bias", maybe you could elaborate? It's not like I just read 10 different news articles and picked the one that aligned with my preconceived notions and declared it to be "fact". How else are you supposed to form an opinion on something? Just go with your visceral, gut reaction to everything and form an opinion based on emotional BS instead of facts and logic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships