Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 03:06 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Sheesh, folks! The poor woman wrote and asked for some ideas and some sympathy, and what she gets is a bashing around and taking apart. I know we're all incognito on this forum, but is nastiness really necessary? Opinions are opinions (and I've stated mine too on this thread) but no need to make the lady feel worse. Unless that's how you get your entertainment each day.
After saying the visitor asked to use the laundry machines she asked if we felt she should need to do their laundry. She finished by asking "Am I wrong to feel this way?"

If she wanted sympathy she asked the wrong question and she was given plenty of ideas - most being along the line that if the guy wants to do some laundry she should let him do some laundry. It's not at all a big deal; most people I've visited have offered and I offer the same to anyone visiting me.

Why do you prefer to classify her as a "poor woman" and real common sense answers from real people as "bashing and taking apart?" If someone is not open to differing opinions this is the last place they should be airing their dirty laundry! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 03:44 AM

6 posts, read 4,277 times
If you are doing all the cooking , all the cleaning ....all of every kind of work there is to do ....im surprised you do not wash their car before they leave. WHY do you let them use you this way? They should be HELPING YOU WITH EVERYTHING ..i wont bother to say what because they should be helping with EVERYTHING ..including bringing in groceries. I a stymied as to why you would put up with this . I have to say if you quietly do all that ...it is no ones fault but your own ...FIND YOUR VOICE WOMAN AND USE IT FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!

Old 04-25-2017, 08:05 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
here you go - here's the other thread on laundry:

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...ry-family.html
Thank you - love you!

Old 04-25-2017, 08:08 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
I don't pack enough for a long trip so I wash my clothes a couple times a week and of course I do the work myself. This has never been a problem for anyone I've stayed with, especially considering that I bring gifts, buy almost all the dinners, etc.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Probably felt welcome over there, hard to blame him.
From reading the many comments and explanations from the OP on this post, no, that is not why why he spends his time away from his "home base." He/his wife are basically rude and thoughtless. I don't think he/they would know what "feeling welcome" even is. When you're a "moocher" one doesn't have a clue about being appreciative or "returning the favor."

Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
There is an easy way to relieve yourself of doing his laundry (if that's what's happening): Whenever he asks to use it, point towards where the washer 'n' dryer is at and say, "Have at it!" Even the dumbest person would get that hint.

I'm one of those who doesn't ever want to wash clothes on a vacation.
He doesn't seem to be asking for the host to wash clothes, just asking to use the facilities.
I don't see the problem.
When we travel, we always either wash our clothes, or take them to a laundry service, before heading home.
Now, asking for the host/hostess to do the laundry, that would be a big NO!

Old 04-25-2017, 08:48 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
I never thought about it. I house and pet sit, where I am now. When I pack, I think ahead to the number of days I will need clean clothes, then make sure I pack enough outfits, including underwear and socks and shoes, to last. I put my dirty clothes in a separate, handled bag to bring home to wash. It never occurred to me to use my client's washer and dryer and do my own clothes before I go home. I strip the bed and put the sheets and towels I use on the washer for the client to wash. I know some folks are fussy about how their laundry is washed, and folded.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I never thought about it. I house and pet sit, where I am now. When I pack, I think ahead to the number of days I will need clean clothes, then make sure I pack enough outfits, including underwear and socks and shoes, to last. I put my dirty clothes in a separate, handled bag to bring home to wash. It never occurred to me to use my client's washer and dryer and do my own clothes before I go home. I strip the bed and put the sheets and towels I use on the washer for the client to wash. I know some folks are fussy about how their laundry is washed, and folded.
^^^ yep.

I think it is stretching the hospitality.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Well, that makes sense for what you're doing.
Me, I travel for business, a lot, and don't always know how long I will be there. Once went to Toronto for what was supposed to be a 2 day activity, and ended up staying a week. Another, trip to Brussels, was supposed to be a week, and ended up there for a month.
Ever try packing for a month when flying?

Of course, back to the OP.
The guy waits until the departure day to ask about doing some laundry. That is stretching the hospitality a bit.
Here I think I will see you off and get back to my usual life, and now you want to hang around all morning and do laundry? Go home, already.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:08 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
There was a very lengthy thread a few years ago on this topic. Some people thought it was absolutely ridiculous to wash clothes on their last day of vacation and other people would never, ever, ever pack any dirty clothes in their suitcase and would spend hours and hours on their last day of vacation making sure that every single item was clean.

The people who washed every item of clothing thought that the people who packed up dirty clothes at the end of their vacation were crazy to do that. And, the people who took home their dirty clothes and washed them at their own home thought people who wasted their last day of vacation doing laundry were crazy.

It was quite a memorable thread.

BTW, I recall that most, or even all, of the people who washed their clothes at the end of their vacation did it themselves, they did not ask their hosts to do it.
However, some hosts were grumpy because their friends or relatives used their hot water, detergent and electricity plus could not/did not spend time with them on their last day because of doing the laundry.
When I travel, I pack a clean, empty trash bag in my suitcase and put my dirty clothes it in as they accumulate. On the last day of the trip, I tie the bag up so it won't dirty up or stink up any clean clothes I haven't worn, throw it in my suitcase, and just wash the dirty clothes after unpacking once I am home. Dilemma solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships