Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I guess that our kids (and hubby and I) must not have had as many clothes as other people have.
It varies, obviously, but I own more than a week's worth of clothes. Even if they weren't my favorites, I could dig up something to wear to work. Same for the kids.

ETA, if my guest said "I need to wear this to work tomorrow. Can I use your washer?" I would say yes, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 09:43 PM

3,641 posts, read 3,767,451 times
Meh. I always offer to let guests use my laundry facilities the day or two before they leave. Some take me up on the offer, a few don't.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:08 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,585,378 times
So when you say you start the laundry, I hope you don't have to put the dirty laundry in the tub.

Personally, I wouldn't even want to touch washed laundry to move it to the dryer as you do.

Yes, he is not just parsimonious or even cheap. He's a freeloader going by the other story you tell. And looks like several other family members are too. And no manners.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:45 PM

742 posts, read 866,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Next he might start asking to use your car...or for some cash! Lol
Oh yeah, he's done that...to go and visit another relative about an hour from us. Then spent more time over there than at our house. Why not just stay over there and we'll come visit? So every day for 4 days he spent driving back and forth just coming to our house to eat and sleep. That was a new one for sure.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Obviously, the issue is bigger than these two examples. Like Clemencia, I would also like to know what your relationship is with this guy.

Even if you turn on the washing machine and throw stuff in the dryer and turn that on, if he's taking the stuff out and folding it (to me, the most irritating and time consuming part of doing laundry), what's the big deal? Just how often are these visits taking place? Every month or once a year?

How many times have you stayed at his house? Now you know what the drill is there, either buck up and roll with it or stay in a motel. And just how did this extended clan let you know that you would be paying for everyone's meal?

If this is your husband's son from a prior marriage, what does your husband say?
We've stayed at his house, since they got it, 2 times. The second time was better. I think since being a parent has made them grow up a bit. The second time I came prepared and brought my own food just in case-beverages and snacks. My husband and I decided that we could slip away and grab something if necessary for just us to eat. He didn't like being railroaded into paying for everyone either so that is why he told them that the family brunch would be dutch treat. No one "told" us that we would have to pay, but we knew that was the idea and how it would pan out. It also happened on the same visit that we wanted to get some food from a local takeout. We just wanted 2 combination plates which would've been $10. Well then everyone wanted to get food too and ordered a bunch of things that we didn't want. We just wanted the 2 combo plates. Well when it came down to hearing the order, I asked "so you ordered us the 2 combos?" and I was told, "oh, well I just ordered them all separate along with other things and we can just split it." So our $10 was going to be $50. So I said, "well, we just want the 2 combos, so you guys can split it and order what you want" So then we compromised since she already ordered everything and we paid $20. It was just so stupid! We always try to treat our hosts to either dinner or lunch out and bring a gift. But to expect us to pay for everything every time we eat is rude.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,199,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
This is a family member who is 36, married, good job, 2 kids under 5. Whenevee vr hitsis he asks to use the washer/dryer on the day they leave. I have never had anyone, relative or friend, ask to use our washer and dryer to do their clothes.

Honestly, it really bugs me. I do enjoy their visits, but seriously, I already have to cook and clean up after them, plus change the sheets and towels and wash them, so I have to do their laundry too? To be clear, I plan for their visit and create daily menus, have their beverages on hand, what the kids like to eat etc. I just don't get this quirk of doing their laundry before they leave. They have their own house with a washer/dryer and his wife doesn't work so ???

Am I wrong to feel this way?
Which is it?? They ask to use your washer/dryer or ask you to do their laundry??? I don't think asking to do a load of laundry rather than taking home dirty clothes is so terrible (although I have never done it) But expecting the host to do their laundry would be rude.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:51 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,498,108 times
Gosh, why even bother with these folks.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:00 AM

18,503 posts, read 18,648,263 times
Wouldnt bother me in the least unless I had the machine full with my own clothes waiting to be done... its only a machine, not as if your standing with a board and scrubber like the old days... but personally if it was me visiting Id wash my underwear and socks etc daily, and take the rest home... I hate to be a bother to anyone. Maybe though your a bit done in with their visit and couldnt wait to see the back of them... it can be stressful too , as when I had a bigger house I had some guests from England staying for a few days, and although great company and nice people it does get stressful at times trying to keep them occupied , enjoying themselves , cooking etc...

Old 04-23-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Which is it?? They ask to use your washer/dryer or ask you to do their laundry??? I don't think asking to do a load of laundry rather than taking home dirty clothes is so terrible (although I have never done it) But expecting the host to do their laundry would be rude.
He asks to put a load in. I usually put the clothes in the dryer because it's usually near noon and we're on a time of use plan and it's more expensive to use big appliances after then. I don't want the washer/dryer on after noon. That puts us at a higher rate for running big appliances.

Honestly, like another poster pointed out, it's just him. He's a freeloader and I don't like it. Like the time we went to an arcade type place and they gave my daughter all their tickets so she could get a "prize". So with our tickets and theirs she got a mini basketball and was so excited about it. We were going to other places so the wife put the ball in her big purse. They left the next day and took the ball with them! And you can't miss a small basketball in your purse either. When I asked them over the phone where the ball was, because I couldn't believe that they would take it, he simply said, "oh, we brought it home". So yeah, it's not about the washer/dryer! It's still weird to me though (asking to use it to wash all their clothes before going home)

Old 04-23-2017, 12:12 AM

9,944 posts, read 5,618,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Oh yeah, he's done that...to go and visit another relative about an hour from us. Then spent more time over there than at our house. Why not just stay over there and we'll come visit? So every day for 4 days he spent driving back and forth just coming to our house to eat and sleep. That was a new one for sure.
He's 30-something years old, you're still doing his laundry, and you wonder why he walks all over you? Duh, you LET HIM do it, so you don't have a lot of grounds to resent him for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships