Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:29 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,813,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Everybody is different Ruth.

I once had a job where I had to go door to door for something and take down addresses because we'd be doing work with the owners later. Some of the mailboxes didn't have numbers.

So, my boss TOLD ME to open the mailbox at the end of the driveway and look at the letter inside without touching the letter. So, I did and I didn't think twice about it.

Well, lo and behold and unbeknownest to us, this is a federal offense. There was a lady watching from the window and she called the police AND the postmaster general (we had a company vehicle). I got in trouble and so did my boss.

Well, that lady knew who we were and what we were doing and STILL called the police. Even is she wasn't sure, she could have come out and talked to us. It ends up that we had to do our job at her house the next week and I was the one who had to do the job. She never apologized and she was the biggest PAIN IN THE @SS I have ever met.

I have no doubt in my mind she thought what she was doing was completely right, and that EVERYBODY should call the police and postmaster general when somebody opens their mailbox.

My point is that people think completely differently. It's sometimes worth is to figure out the disconnect instead of just assuming the neighbor is an @ss or means total malice.
Why should that woman have apologized? What you did was against the law and she called the police because you were breaking the law. It doesn't matter WHY or that you didn't think you were doing anything wrong, it was wrong. You were wrong. She wasn't.

Just like the neighbor was completely in the wrong to send workers into the OP's yard. I don't care what her thoughts were, they were wrong. It's very simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Why should that woman have apologized? What you did was against the law and she called the police because you were breaking the law. It doesn't matter WHY or that you didn't think you were doing anything wrong, it was wrong. You were wrong. She wasn't.

Just like the neighbor was completely in the wrong to send workers into the OP's yard. I don't care what her thoughts were, they were wrong. It's very simple.
Yes, but I did not know that was wrong.

You could talk it out with me or you could call the police and postmaster general and possibly cost me my job.

I wouldn't do that.

It is what it is. People are different and that's very obvious from City Data.

Anyway, I'm done posting in this thread. Apologies to the OP for the semi-hijack.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,122 times
I would have called the Police & Postmaster too. It's a Federal Offense. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Not to mention in this day & age of ID theft, I may have detained you forcefully if you were on my property, until the cops came. No apologies.

ETA: That is for Jobaba's scenario. Already stated days ago that OP's neighbor had no right to "allow" others to trespass on her property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships