Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 07:51 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,048,399 times

Advertisements

Another thing is pets get confused when they are put away for punishment AND when people visit, AND when it is bedtime. Over time I guess they can differentiate between the 3 though.....maybe.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:53 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Lol yeah i get irritated when my mom has her and her 4 kids stop on by. They are a rowdy bunch and it seems so weird that theyre afraid of a friendly golden retriever. We constantly have kids want to stop and pet him all the time...yet we have to put him away when this group comes around. I could just keep him out and let them all deal...but then that makes me the mean lady with the scary dog I guess. I just want to tell the kid to get it together...but i wont do that either. The mother's reaction is strange also i think...she must really want to get out of the house to continue to come over to these events. She is nice, more of an acquaintance. Her kids dont behave that well..but there are 4 of them and she just seems to let them do what they want.
My only concern for you letting the dog out is what if the kids do something: pull his tail, or yank on his ear and he does bite? I know, I know your dog never bites but leaving kids unsupervised with any dog, big or small can result in a bite and a big lawsuit for the owner. In some cases the owner is forced to euthanize their beloved dog. It's just not worth it.

I think if it were me I would just tell this mother "I'm sorry but if your children are so afraid of my dog, perhaps you guys shouldn't come over anymore. And by the way there are some steps you can take to help them get over their fear".

Old 04-24-2017, 08:01 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
For me the only solution would be not to have these people in my house. It's not like they are your best friends or something of that nature. You have a good reason to keep them away, just tell them you are not going to lock up your dog any longer and if that's a problem they should stop visiting you.

I wonder if the kid is exerting her power knowing you and everyone else are bending over backwards to please her. She seems to be okay with your grandmother's dog unless they have to lock him up too.

The world is full of dogs. People are not going to lock them up or keep them home because one child makes a fuss when she sees them. Maybe the girl should be seeing a therapist if the fear really is that real.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:02 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Will you please address the issue of WHY your mother keeps inviting people to your house without your permission? Clearly you don't like this woman and her kids, so why are they coming over to your house often enough for this to even be an issue?

You are not an innocent victim in this situation.
I agree.

Why haven't you told your mother to stop inviting her friends to your house. And, it doesn't even sound like they are actually her friends but the adult daughter and grandchildren of a friend.

I can not even imagine inviting the adult child & their children of one of my friends to a party at one of my children's homes. Let alone doing it multiple times over a two year period.

Talk to your mother and stop the madness! Call your mother today and tell her.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree.

Why haven't you told your mother to stop inviting her friends to your house. And, it doesn't even sound like they are actually her friends but the adult daughter and grandchildren of a friend.

I can not even imagine inviting the adult child & their children of one of my friends to a party at one of my children's homes. Let alone doing it multiple times over a two year period.

Amen and amen and amen!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:16 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My only concern for you letting the dog out is what if the kids do something: pull his tail, or yank on his ear and he does bite? I know, I know your dog never bites but leaving kids unsupervised with any dog, big or small can result in a bite and a big lawsuit for the owner. In some cases the owner is forced to euthanize their beloved dog. It's just not worth it.
My best friend of nearly 20 years is a HUGE dog-lover. From a family of huge dog-lovers. Seriously, she's the most dog-loving person I know. When she had kids she NEVER left her babies and toddlers alone in the room with the dogs. She said even the most well-intentioned, beloved, well-trained dog is still, in his DNA, a dog, an animal. And all animals act out of instinct at times.

Another story. One of my kids was bitten on a play-date. By the sweet family pup. The hostess and I were standing in the living room talking. She was holding the dog on a leash. Two of the kids rounded the sofa on their way to the backyard and the dog bolted up and bit my child on the chest. He was hurt, bleeding, understandably shaken. Thankfully he was ok--just required bandaging--no ER visit. Still has the scar, though. I didn't feel anyone was "at fault": that mom had the dog on a leash, the kids were playing like normal kids, and the dog was just being a dog--he was young and excitable and most likely trying to protect "his people."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I think if it were me I would just tell this mother "I'm sorry but if your children are so afraid of my dog, perhaps you guys shouldn't come over anymore. And by the way there are some steps you can take to help them get over their fear".
Simple as that.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:28 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I wonder if the kid is exerting her power knowing you and everyone else are bending over backwards to please her. She seems to be okay with your grandmother's dog unless they have to lock him up too...Maybe the girl should be seeing a therapist if the fear really is that real.
I don't get this "blaming the kid" thing several of y'all have been doing. According to the OP the kid has been 2-4 years old during these visits. 2 years old. Do you really think that scared 2 year old was "exerting her power"? Do you think that 2 year old had any idea people were "bending over backwards to please her"?? Kids--people--have all sorts of fears. Most aren't all that rational. Doesn't mean the fear isn't real.

It's really ridiculous to blame the kid. Especially when the OP has done nothing to explain her feelings to the other family--or her own mother. Plenty of people have no problem putting the dogs inside when guests are over--why should the little girl or family think this a big deal if the OP hasn't told them?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:30 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I don't get this "blaming the kid" thing several of y'all have been doing. According to the OP the kid has been 2-4 years old during these visits. 2 years old. Do you really think that scared 2 year old was "exerting her power"? Do you think that 2 year old had any idea people were "bending over backwards to please her"?? Kids--people--have all sorts of fears. Most aren't all that rational. Doesn't mean the fear isn't real.

?
You need to meet my daughter.
She knows EXACTLY what she's doing. EXACTLY.
I've never met a more devious or manipulative person in my life.
She's either going to do something great or become a super villain. Mark my words.

That being said, you are 100% correct about the op fixing this situation rather than blaming the kids/guests.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:44 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Smart husband.

My mom was terrified of snakes and reptiles when my brother & I were growing up. But she always encouraged us to touch them when we had the opportunity. My mom can now say she has shared a home with countless lizards, 5ft pythons and tons of other snakes. my brother and I had reptiles as pets for years.
oh my god.. wont be visiting you hahaha, hate them.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:49 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree.

The thing is that once something has been ignored, it becomes harder to deal with... My own mother long ago came to live with me for a few months and had her sisters and friends in constantly, all smoked and I cant stand it.. this was long ago before the bans for smokers.. so my house looked like a saloon with plumes of smoke. and I could leave , go to my kitchen and do a full hand washing and no one missed me till they wanted tea or coffee... It wasnt my house anymore and I hated it but didnt know how to deal with it without offending.. its not easy either.. Being too nice sometimes means Mug..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships