Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 09:32 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times

Advertisements

OP, you and your mother are the problem here. Not your dog. Not a small child that you call a "spazz" (maybe she ingested too many lead paint chips, right? Who knows?) Not the child's mother. The child and her mother are innocent victims of you and your mother's lack of communication.

It's your house. It's your mother. Have a grown up conversation with your mother about inviting people to your house without your consent. That's all this is about. Until you have that conversation, YOU are the host and that family is a guest in your home. And should be treated as such.

The mother's not wrong for assuming she was invited to your home, and she's not wrong for assuming people have priority over pets. She would probably think, "Why would she keep inviting me over if there's a problem with us being there?"

Old 04-23-2017, 09:41 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Dear one, a four year old is not a snowflake. Precious yes, but not a snowflake. The fear is genuine, and people are more important then animals, especially kids. I have just the opposite problem with our friends precious 4 year old. She won't leave the dogs alone

Have you tried going for a walk with the kids and the dog? Have the kids that are afraid take turns holding the leash. Bring treats for the dog and have them feed them to him. There is no reason, with a little help, that those kids should remain afraid of your dog. Think about how big your dog looks to someone who is only about 3 feet tall. Then look at the mouth and teeth at that level. Put a little effort into getting the dog and the kids to coexist and you may be pleasantly surprised. If not, then the kids need to come first. Provide a special bone for your dog to enjoy in private. He won't even know you exist. I give my dogs big bones to enjoy once in a while and it keeps them busy for an hour or more.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:13 AM

631 posts, read 399,210 times
OP this is YOUR house and YOUR dog, a member of your family. No way in hell would I lock him up to accommodate people whom you haven't invited to your house. Never in a million years!!

Your mother needs to be told in no uncertain terms that if she insists on inviting these people to your cookouts, they need to get a babysitter for that kid of theirs, or better yet, don't invite them at all.

Gosh, this makes me so mad

Old 04-23-2017, 10:22 AM

Not only a spazz, but a "pest" and a "brat" as well? A 4 year old who cries when she sees a big dog?

The only fault I can find with this family is that they would come over to hang out with a woman who calls children names such as these.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:25 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
I always put my dogs away when we have visitors, unless they ask for the dogs to be out...which they often do. Since we have 3, sometimes I will let one dog stay out. But if I have a guest who was afraid of dogs, I wouldn't think twice about making sure the dog was put away.

My daughter has one friend who is afraid of one of our dogs. He is a big boy with a loud bark. I don't blame her. As soon as she is coming over, we put the big guy in a room or outside. It isn't hurting anyone and its common courteousy.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:01 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
'While you may love your dog unconditionally, it's clear that some of the other people in your life, do not'

I dont consider these people to be in my life and they are an inconvenience when they come over.

And yes some kids are simply brats. In this case it's the mother who had to have 4 kids ( husband only wanted 2) and now apparently no one wants to watch them properly.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 04-23-2017 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Added

Old 04-23-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
'While you may love your dog unconditionally, it's clear that some of the other people in your life, do not'

I dont consider these people to be in my life and they are an inconvenience when they come over.

And yes some kids are simply brats. In this case it's the mother who had to have 4 kids ( husband only wanted 2) and now apparently no one wants to watch them properly.
Problem is still you. And your mother. Not the 4 year old, or her mother.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:13 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
I have been in a similar boat and we have 4 dogs! I attempted to crate them but they would whine the entire time and they take up quite a bit of room.... so then i thought ill put them in a room......until the dogs would get messes made ( of ALL sorts).

I had enough!

I got a extra long baby gate and split the living room and dining. When people come, dogs are on one side and they on another OR they are all together and deal with it.

If you dont like dog hair, smells, jumping, dogs....then DONT come.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:21 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Exactly. I think they are foolish and a bit rude to continue to show up expecting me to put the dog away. She should not come or at least not bring that kid.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:26 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Not only a spazz, but a "pest" and a "brat" as well? A 4 year old who cries when she sees a big dog?

The only fault I can find with this family is that they would come over to hang out with a woman who calls children names such as these.
Lol. Exactly.

I have a dog. I put him away when someone comes over. Not a problem at all. He's a dog, not a person. People come first. Especially a fearful 4 yr. old.

If you don't want them in your house SAY NO. Not that difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships