Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,190,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty_charge View Post
Ghosted her for 2 years now. Best thing ever!

Aha I forgot to look at the date of your original post , so glad to see your update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,548,756 times
Quote:
Glad to hear it. Keep doing your thing.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,126 times
Error

Old 04-16-2019, 11:05 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,334 times
Quote:
You told her to go screw herself? Good for you.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:21 PM

892 posts, read 483,614 times
friendship is an equal exchange of what makes a friendship worthwhile.

it's like that saying: "with friends like this, who needs enemies?"

if you have done yr part in appreciating whatever she has accomplished, at least you have done the right thing, friendship-wise.

on the other hand, you don't 'need' this kind of treatment. be a friend to yrself as well, and let her find other sources of validation. you have *already* done enough. it's up to her to find validation in herself too. she won't find it in a "bottomless pit" of insecurity and comparisons. you are each individual people with yr own paces and standards for success.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
My former best friend hasn't said to me happy birthday in 3 years. I didn't bother much but overtime I noticed how she contacts me mainly when she has to show off.

A few weeks back, she Skypes me to give me a tour of the new house. Barely bothered to ask me how I'm doing. It was her birthday too, I told her happy birthday, and she replied, " I am so proud of myself, I have a full time job, a husband, and now a house.....oh wait, you're still living at home." Mind you, I'm pursuing an advanced degree.

I've gradually reduced my contact time with her but not to make it awkward or blatant. We live in different states for years now.

It just annoys me how she contacts me just to show off.

And this coming from a girl that was 300 lbs, very unattractive, failing all the math classes...

I had the idea that people that struggle a lot would be more humble. This girl is anything but. She makes odd comments about people's appearances all the time. Never mind the comments about finances and so on.

I usually reply back with a, "Looks good!", "Congrats!" But that's about it.

It just annoys me how she is so self absorbed.

At times I go, maybe I'm imagining stuff. I get it, she's happy but at the same time, she doesn't bother to ask how I'm doing.

Do I just cut her off for good?
Block her and get on with your life. You go girl! Get that degree!

Old 04-22-2019, 05:25 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
Quote:
Nice, it's refreshing to see the OP of a thread return to update us after a long time. I never noticed this thread 2 yrs ago when you started it, but good, be done w/ her.

I was "friends" w/ someone for about 10 yrs too. The beginning of the end was when she invited herself along to come to my dad's funeral. I think it was out of pure nosiness & she wasn't busy that day MORE THAN her wanting to be there for me. She came & the drive for her wasn't close. I thanked her for coming, she stayed for the dinner we had at a restaurant & that's the last I actually saw her. I've emailed her even asking what happened or what went wrong & got no concrete answer. She said a quick greeting on certain holidays, the last one being just this past Christmas, but it's probably a group text, so it's not like she wrote me a personalized message. I reply back, but she doesn't say thanks back.

I've been done w/ her for a long time too.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:35 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
just smile and say congratulations.....tell her you are proud of her..

some people need the stroking and some people don't..

and some people just want to throw out... "hey im ok"

its better than a picture of her laying on the street with a wine bottle..

leave it alone...we don't always have to react

Old 04-22-2019, 07:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Do I just cut her off for good?
Yes!

Old 04-23-2019, 05:09 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
These people like her generally have more going on. To me it’s clear she’s jealous of you for something - probably looks or intelligence or both - and her showing off is her way of crying out, “I have value! I’m a winner!” She clearly needs or wants your approval.

Don’t get me wrong, I am sure I’ve been annoyingly excited this year because we bought a dream home in Las Vegas and it has literally been my dream for 10 years to move there, but the difference - I hope - is that I always ask my friends how they’re doing, we chat about a lot of stuff, and my friends are all big winners. If anything they should be bragging to me, but they know I respect them a lot. A radiologist making a fortune, a police officer who loves his job, a biotech CFO, so I do worry less that they’ll take offense to my excitement because they’re very happy and successful people.

Your friend is, as an old friend used to say, “fighting for something she doesn’t have.” She may have a lot going on but there’s something missing there. She knows what it is, we probably won’t figure it out. Self-esteem is what it comes down to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships