Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 11:35 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
I went shopping on Monday evening. As I was leaving the store there were two women having a conversation in front of the exit. They were speaking in a foreign language and I said excuse me quite clearly to get past them. The first time I said it they didn't move. So I said it a second time a little bit louder and they still didn't move. I then said it a third time and when they didn't move I had to nudged the woman to get by.

As I'm walking away she says "you are rude". I turned around and I said "I asked you to move three times and you didn't move" and I walked away.

I find that I'm dealing with people like this more and more everyday. I encounter this often at the grocery store too - people taking up an entire aisle making small talk. Would you have handled it differently?
I say it once above normal voice, LOUDLY the next time AND proceed. If they aren't knocked down, they go sideways...Yes I have had people curse me, I flipped them the bird and walked on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 12:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
I have a lack of class?
The other people not you.

I don't think it's rude as much as is a self important person. Some people just see themselves as the only ones that matter.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Unfortunately, people like that keep mistreating people until people stand up to them. And most people are afraid of confrontation and allow these people to be empowered. The OP did the right thing and she should feel proud that she shoved them out of the way.

I learned a long time ago that the best way to deal with a bully is the proverbial punch in the mouth. They are not used to people fighting back. Dealing with most bullies is much easier than it seems because for this reason. They usually can't handle any form of resistance because they are not used to it. So if you do fight back, it doesn't take much to intimidate them in return. You will notice that.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:37 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
I don't think that the ladies standing in the way were bullies but they were acting in a self centered manner, completely oblivious to the people around them and how they might be impacting others. And when the op pushed her way past they should have realized their role in the situation but instead, couldn't see it because they were too caught up in being self centered to notice. One of them called the op "rude" without recognizing her own rudeness in blocking the exit and ignoring someone who was trying to get by.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:41 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
well technically, you asked them to excuse you when it was they, that should have asked you, to excuse them for blocking your way...may have led to their confusion. Next time, do what I learned to do in This Man's Navy and shout out "Make a HOLE! service week!" they will scramble over themselves to get out of the way.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:14 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Maybe, since they were speaking a foreign language, they didn't understand, culturally, what "Excuse me" means.
Really? They are blocking an exit to the store, babbling and in the way of a customer who obviously is trying to leave the store and they can't figure out that they need to move out of the way so the person coming towards them can leave? Who needs to understand the language when it is so obvious?

It would be so nice if everyone were as courteous as we were raised to be here and in a large number of foreign countries. Sadly, times are changing.

If neither "excuse me" nor this works, it's time to move on to more elaborated expressions.

OK, so what's next? Do we now we all need to become an even more rude society and start screaming "MOVE!" while gesturing as if we are Moses parting the Red Sea about ten feet before we get to the door?

Or scream "I need to pee! Outta my way, if you don't want to get wet!"

Old 04-28-2017, 07:37 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,243,908 times
I just walk through them and leave. They say anything, the reply might not be what they are expecting. Don't care where they are from, blocking an exit is obvious. And it happens around here all the time. The grocery store has only one entrance/exit door.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:04 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
I've had that happen, where people were blocking a grocery store aisle while talking. After one "excuse me", and no response, I sideswipe their cart with my cart hard enough to get my point across. One "excuse me" is all that is required.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:05 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,783,967 times
People who are space invaders are rude. The women blocking your exit are probably like this everywhere they go. Maybe if more people called them out, they'd get a clue.

You could have made up a little song, "Move your butts or you're gonna see me go nuts. Move your a$$ before I turn it into grass. Move your a$$ so I can pass. Hey, hey, ho, ho, move your frickin' buns. I've been known to beat up nuns. Get outta my way before I really ruin your day." And then just yell, "Wut wut. Wut, wut. Wut, wut. WUT WUT." as the chorus. I really think that would work.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:13 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
What is rude is blocking a walkway. It is thoughtless and rude.

Mostly when I encounter this it is older people with hearing deficits. But today I encountered lane blocking on the track I was was walking on. This kind of blocking is thoughtless, and rude.

I don't know of a good way to get people to move out of your way. I don't think I would have physically nudged someone. I might have nudged someone's cart though. I think finally you have to make eye contact and ask that they let you by. You could also mention that they are blocking an exit.

I do think it is best not to counter rudeness with rudeness though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships