Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 09:01 PM

6,820 posts, read 2,948,835 times

Advertisements

Wow. If tipping or not tipping a waiter can create such angst within friendships as well as be a determinate of who is and who is not a good person, then I'm really not seeing the positive benefits of this American 'custom' at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:37 PM

17,680 posts, read 13,494,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
yeah, I was hoping that was a typo and they meant 40%
YES I meant 40%

Bad typing on my part

Old 06-06-2017, 09:39 PM

17,680 posts, read 13,494,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm a little confused ...Moderator cut: delete a $40 tip on a bill that was over $300 is not even 15%.

More to the point of the OP: I could not be friends with someone who refused to tip -- that would just tell me something really crappy about that person.Moderator cut: delete
40% sorry

Old 06-06-2017, 09:44 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,351,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Wow. If tipping or not tipping a waiter can create such angst within friendships as well as be a determinate of who is and who is not a good person, then I'm really not seeing the positive benefits of this American 'custom' at all.
People in this thread neither represent nor speak for the entire USA.

Fact remains tipping is VOLUNTARY.

People love to come on the Internet and brag about being big tippers, paying off
their credit cards every month, and working out every morning at the gym.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:26 PM

6,820 posts, read 2,948,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
People in this thread neither represent nor speak for the entire USA.

Fact remains tipping is VOLUNTARY.

People love to come on the Internet and brag about being big tippers, paying off
their credit cards every month, and working out every morning at the gym.

Thanks. I do believe that you nailed it.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:04 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,455,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well...if someone refuses to tip at all but wants to go out to eat, those are their best options, no?

Tip properly? 20%. If someone "sucks", then don't tip 20%, pay less or if it's really bad, nothing at all. That's not hard to comprehend, is it?
This latest tipping thread has been entertaining as usual........ All the usual suspects have come for a visit. The big tippers, the tut tut brigade, the pearl grabbers shocked to find out people they call friends don't tip properly. The talk of a social contract between served and servers.

I won't go on about how it should be the employers job to pay the worker, not the public. I have watched with my own eyes how some Americans like servility from their servers, and whine a lot. Yes, whine a lot. Sometimes in that annoying high pitched whining that hurts my ears. Servers get to meet some pretty demanding, annoying people, and that's for sure.

What I do find interesting, and I have never received a proper reply to, is why the percentage of tip keeps going up. I see here in this thread a lot of nods of approval for 20%. When I first visited America 25 years ago, I was told it was 15%. I have read elderly Americans who say when they were young it was 10%.

Now, the price of a meal is constantly going up because of inflation isn't it? So, if we go back say 50 years, a 10% tip on a $10 meal would have been $1. Today, a 10% tip on a $100 meal would be $10. So, inflation has lifted the amount of the tip.

So why has the percentage of the tip risen from 10% to 20%? Why stop at 20%? Why not 30%, or 40%? There are folks in this thread who seem to feel 20% isn't enough. Where does it stop?

Some folks in this thread are sick and tired of this tipping system that seems to grow constantly. More and more service workers with their hands out. Car wash people for gawds sake? They're getting paid to do a job........ why do they expect tipping for doing it?

As some ex servers have admitted in this thread, they did very well out of the job with tips, and sure didn't want to do a wage paid job like in a shop. Lots more to be made as a server. The tipping system suits them just fine........ even when some customers stiff them.

Before the screeching insulters arrive.......... yes, when I visit America, I do tip appropriately. I have no choice...... the server hovers close to me after they hear my English accent. I got up to leave one place, and I almost pulled the server on instead of my coat..........

Old 06-06-2017, 11:12 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,813,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
My FIL is an awful tipper and expects extras, keeping the waitron running. It's embarrassing as hell! I always put extra money in my pocket, and as we are leaving the table, I slip the extra money on the table to compensate them for putting up with the miserly old fart!
Wait...did we have the same FIL lol

Old 06-07-2017, 05:03 AM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Lol, well, couldn't you say the positive benefit is that it serves as a test by which we can measure the character of another?

Old 06-07-2017, 05:05 AM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
English Dave, I suspect it went from 15% to 20% because 20% is easier to calculate for some people.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:31 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,351,845 times
English Dave -----> HILARIOUS!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships