Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 09:27 PM

9,022 posts, read 13,891,332 times

Advertisements

It is called a mean face where you look angry,but that is not your intention.

I need pointers on how to deal with it.

It is starting to get a little out of hand,but it seems people who do not have this problem do not understand.

On one hand,i cannot smile just for smiling's sake,yet otherwise people will get the wrong impression of me.

I am content but my face is saying something different,and i suspect it has costs me jobs in the past.

Trust,it is painful to live like this.
This stranger (guy) called me the B word as i was walking past him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 2 days ago)

35,889 posts, read 18,202,668 times
Why can't you, as you say, smile "just for smiling's sake"?

That's what everyone else does. They smile on purpose. Or at least, they raise their eyebrows a little bit to look welcoming and friendly. Do that.

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-02-2017 at 09:53 PM..

Old 06-02-2017, 10:15 PM

9,022 posts, read 13,891,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Why can't you, as you say, smile "just for smiling's sake"?

That's what everyone else does. They smile on purpose. Or at least, they raise their eyebrows a little bit to look welcoming and friendly. Do that.
Sure about that?

I see some people who are just able to go about without smiling and nobody thinks they are upset.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:25 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 2 days ago)

35,889 posts, read 18,202,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Sure about that?

I see some people who are just able to go about without smiling and nobody thinks they are upset.
Ok. So I wonder, why doesn't this work for you? I'm honestly curious. I'm not trying to be rude.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,911,728 times
I have BRF, but honestly, it's not painful now. Now I just don't care what other people think because this issue does get really old. I find that people who do not get past the initial (unspoken) impression aren't really worth the time (like the random Street guy, what a jerk).

What helps is to be very engaging and interactive. I realized what makes BRF difficult for others is that they can't get a read on the BRF person and people get threatened by that. Which is why smiling helps soften the impression... but I do not want to smile all the time. It does look a little nuts, especially when its random.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:40 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,187,887 times
RBF

There's a way to set your face to look more pleasant and welcoming without smiling. It's in the way you "smile with your eyes" and relax your forehead.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 PM

325 posts, read 373,077 times
Quote:
It is called a mean face where you look angry,but that is not your intention.

I need pointers on how to deal with it.

It is starting to get a little out of hand,but it seems people who do not have this problem do not understand.

On one hand,i cannot smile just for smiling's sake,yet otherwise people will get the wrong impression of me.

I am content but my face is saying something different,and i suspect it has costs me jobs in the past.

Like others have suggested, you could try smiling more and lifting eyebrows. I usually prescribe outward behavior changes in order to change inward behaviors. In addition to this, demonstrate common human kindness. Go out of your way to brighten the day of others, even if--especially if--you don't feel like it. If you show people you care, they care less about your face. It is the same with everyone, in different ways. We have stereotypes and then once we get to know them, the stereotype falls away.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,648,209 times
Actually, I think it would be handy. My face looks too friendly, even when I want to avoid people. It used to be a problem when I worked in offices and now that I live in subsidized senior housing, it can be a problem because there are lots of needy seniors that hang out looking for people to talk to, help them (which is what it usually ends up being about), etc. And I don't want to get involved - learned that the hard way in the last two of these types of apartment buildings I've lived in. I don't want to have people stalking me where I live, bringing me their problems or asking me for things, wanting me to help them with rides or carry things as their unpaid caregiver, etc.

What I have to do is pretend I don't hear people as I walk past them, and never get eye contact.

When you look friendly and approachable, people will bug you. They'll come to your desk at work to gossip and they're hard to get rid of, they'll feel comfortable asking to borrow your umbrella and bring it back sopping wet or not bring it back at all, they'll feel okay asking for change for the coke machine they swear they'll pay you back for, to answer their phone while they go on a cigarette break......anyway, you get the picture.

I say embrace your BRF! It will keep the people at bay you want to keep at bay, then I'm sure you're friendly and smiley when you want to be. Reserve the smiles for people you want to be around. And be glad you have that natural filter in looking unapproachable otherwise.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:56 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,364,363 times
OP, I think you mean RBF, don't you?

Old 06-03-2017, 12:04 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,692,063 times
Quote:
All these suggestions of "opening your eyes wider", "wearing a slight smile" -- uh, NO. That is exhausting when you have a face that settles naturally into somewhat severe lines.

Moderator cut: delete
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-03-2017 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: language filtered words and off topic gender comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships