Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,246 times

Advertisements

......but there is none.

I was reminded of something when reading another thread, and wanted to see if others have ever experienced something similar.

Way back in high school (decades ago) my older brother had a close friend I'll call Rod. Rod was at our house a lot, and the 3 of us often hung out. (I had a bf who I was head over heels in love with, or so I thought.)

My brother died in his late 40s, and Rod came to the funeral and to the house (of another sibling) afterwards. We all had fun reminiscing, etc. I'd heard Rod had married, had a good job as a hs principal, and lived in the same city as I do. We chatted quite awhile........openly......there was no whispering, flirting or anything like that.

As Rod left I walked him to his car, we exchanged a very harmless hug, and he said something about getting together (we never did).....life tends to just move along.

As I went back into the house one of my aunts said "Oh. Where's Rod?" I replied that he left. She said "I thought he was your....ya know...." and winked. I said "My...what?" She said "Some of us thought he was your fella." I replied "No. I don't think his wife would allow that."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:50 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
People who don't have much going on in their lives may do that.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:04 AM

924 posts, read 751,852 times
Had something like that happen during the first few years I was working at the library.......at the time, I had a co-worker named "Peter", and one of the women in our work area got the idea that I had romantic feelings for him. (No idea how or why she got that impression....."Peter" was never more than a friend to me)

Old 07-20-2017, 01:25 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
It seems that even now in the 21st Century, the eternal question of whether men and women can be platonic friends trudges on.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:42 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Old aunts act like that.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Old aunts act like that.
This particular aunt was maybe 60 at the time but you're right. She was the type who would corner someone and ask when they were gonna propose/get married/get pregnant, etc. Busybody.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:14 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Yes, I had something similar in college. My bff and her boyfriend had an amicable breakup. He and I were very good friends so when they broke up, I asked her if she would mind if he and I still hung out. She was totally fine with it and had already moved on to dating someone else.

He and I got along great, same interests/values, etc. We went to movies, dinners, concerts, pretty much anything. One day she asked me if he and I had something going on since we hung out every few weeks lol...I never found him attractive and never said that to her while they dated but I guess this time I had to. He and I were strictly platonic.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
It was when you walked him out to the car and then hugged him that convinced her.

That is WAY too intimate for some people LOL.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:17 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Old aunts act like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
This particular aunt was maybe 60 at the time but you're right. She was the type who would corner someone and ask when they were gonna propose/get married/get pregnant, etc. Busybody.

Is this what the people who are knowledgeable in Yiddish refer to as a "yenta"?

Old 07-22-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Is this what the people who are knowledgeable in Yiddish refer to as a "yenta"?
Yeah, just looked it up. I'd thought the term was said in affection, but the definition was "gossip, busybody".

HOWEVER, I know of younger people - male and female - who try to imply romance between two people when there is only a platonic acquaintance or a good working relationship. I recall working in offices where, if two people got along, chatted, laughed and (Heaven forbid) went to lunch together people would insinuate that something was "going on".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships