Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:55 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
How can someone be the same age as their aunt when you'd think aunt is one generation older than OP.
????

People have children at all sorts of ages of their lives. This isn't unusual at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 03:15 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,077 times
"No" is a complete sentence.

Never explain or offer reasons or excuses. That just opens the door to rebuttal and argument and attempts at persuasion or other attempts to make you do something. Just tell her "No." Then stop talking. Repeat as necessary.

So what if she's mad at you? You don't like her, and she's clearly toxic.

Simply refuse to allow her to treat you like that. Stay away from her, refuse to obey her orders.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:49 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
????

People have children at all sorts of ages of their lives. This isn't unusual at all.
I have a friend who's 55 year old father married a 19 year old. My friend is older than her stepmom.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:11 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightsfall View Post
My Aunt who is the same age as me (27) constantly bullies me into doing things for her. She demanded that I get her some pizza and pick up her baby from my Grandfather, when I didn't she snapped again and said "hand me my baby.." First I've been sick with the flu and a please from her would had been nice, but I find she always bosses me around when coming over. I did nothing to **** her off and when she acts interested or asks me about my life, she just ends up ignoring me when saying something..literally just sitting there blank faced. What would you do and how do I stand up to her?

I would tell her off and then say to not come around me anymore.Period.Why are you taking that sort of abuse???Who cares if you're related...that doesn't mean she can treat you that way..unless you allow it..which you are.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Telling her off just lowers you to her level. So I don't advise going that route. And starting a family feud is not a good thing to do, either.

She is being a jerk and a bully. Nothng is forcing you to hang with her. So, have as little to do with her as possible. Pull back. Block her on social media. Let her calls go to voicemail. In other words stop rewarding her bad behavior.

Find new friends or other interesting things to do.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:26 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
Just cause she is your aunt, so what? Does not give them any room to talk down to you. Do not worry about causing a fued, she already has started it. You are not girlfriends or sisters, she is a parents sibling.

I have had my fair share of putting family in its place, including an uncle who thinks its ok to just walk into my parents home, and put his feet on the couch! Including an aunt who thinks its ok to wake me up to aske for a favor. Screw them and their feelings, they should know better.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:58 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Toss her a can of Alpo. Maybe she'll settle down.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:01 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Quote:
How can someone be the same age as their aunt when you'd think aunt is one generation older than OP.
sedonaverde, it is very possible to be the same age, or younger than an uncle or aunt. My cousin gave birth to a little girl a year or so before my aunt discovered she was pregnant again. So, in this case, the uncle was 2 years younger than his niece.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:43 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
If you're 27, you should have figured this out by now.

If she issues orders, you can always say "A 'please' would be nice."

You could also counter with humor, like saying "Yes, SIR!" as if she were barking military orders.

And, obviously, you can just walk out and leave, saying politely something like "You sound like you're having a bad day. I'll stop by some other time."

Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Quote:
My grandmother was an aunt at birth. It's not uncommon in very large families. My grandmother's eldest sibling was born in 1849 - she was born twenty years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships