Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 03:00 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,306,234 times

Advertisements

Naturally, it would depend on the offense, but for something minor, I've heard many responses, including:
  • That's OK
  • No problem
  • You're good
  • Think nothing of it, etc.

I say, Thank You, and that's usually the end of it.

But some will not accept Thank You as a response to an apology. They'll keep apologizing, (and I'll keep thanking them,) as if they will not leave me alone until I absolve them and tell them they're OK.

Am I being rude by accepting an apology without the obligation of releasing the offender of their guilt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 03:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Depends. If the apology is warranted I'll say "thank you", if someone is making an apology over something that doesn't need an apology, I'll say something to the effect of "that's ok" or "please don't apologize, there is no need".

I think some people aren't really sure what to say if they don't get a "that's ok" in response. I had to teach my own children that at some point. "Thank you" is an appropriate (and final) response if the apology was warranted. "That's ok" means something different.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:31 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Depends. If the apology is warranted I'll say "thank you", if someone is making an apology over something that doesn't need an apology, I'll say something to the effect of "that's ok" or "please don't apologize, there is no need".

I think some people aren't really sure what to say if they don't get a "that's ok" in response. I had to teach my own children that at some point. "Thank you" is an appropriate (and final) response if the apology was warranted. "That's ok" means something different.

Completely agree with everything you said.

Personally, I think "Thank you" is the only appropriate response, if someone is apologizing and you've been truly wronged.

If someone is apologizing, but the 'injury' is slight and no big deal, or non existent, then it's appropriate to say 'no problem' 'don't worry about it' etc.

(As an aside, maybe it's just me personally, but I see a difference between "I apologize for" and "I'm sorry".
I'd honestly rather hear "I'm sorry" if I've been wronged in some way. Maybe it's just semantics, but if I hear "I'm sorry" it implies (to me) that they are truly sorry, and will work on not repeating said offense.)

Old 11-29-2017, 03:31 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,125,824 times
If someone offers a genuine apology - "no worries" for something trivial and "I appreciate your apology" if the action was more offensive.

I do not think there is anything wrong with a response of "thank you." It acknowledges the situation and the apology.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:19 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
I actually find it rare that people will offer a genuine apology. If someone says "I'm sorry" I will accept it.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:00 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
Every once in a while when people apologize for something silly like if we both turn a corner and nearly bump into each other I say “you should be”. The look on their face is great.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 PM

741 posts, read 590,937 times
For the ones who keep apologizing for a real transgression, maybe what they need to hear is “I forgive you.”

I go through this exercise with my son. He’ll say “I’m sorry” and I’ll say “Ok” the first time, but he won’t stop apologizing until I say “I forgive you.” I don’t know where he got this from because no one in our immediate or extended families have ever done this. The repetitive apologies used to get on my nerves, but I’ve accepted that it’s just part of his process. Now I say “I forgive you” right away and that’s his signal that I really do forgive him and it’s ok for him to stop apologizing.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
For the ones who keep apologizing for a real transgression, maybe what they need to hear is “I forgive you.”

I go through this exercise with my son. He’ll say “I’m sorry” and I’ll say “Ok” the first time, but he won’t stop apologizing until I say “I forgive you.” I don’t know where he got this from because no one in our immediate or extended families have ever done this. The repetitive apologies used to get on my nerves, but I’ve accepted that it’s just part of his process. Now I say “I forgive you” right away and that’s his signal that I really do forgive him and it’s ok for him to stop apologizing.
"I forgive you" seems...arrogant.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:50 PM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
To me it depends. If it's something trivial, then I say something like "that's ok" or "forget it." If it's something serious and they mean it, then I say "thank you." But if they don't mean it, and it's pretty obvious, then I say "You're only sorry you got caught" or something to that effect.

The latter folks are few, but pretty much the same people over and over. It's as if they think they can do/say whatever they want and then use "I'm sorry" as a get out of jail free card. And turn around and repeat the same behavior.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:54 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,968 times
I do what I have always told my kids: Apology accepted.

I told them to never say "that's ok" because what was done is Not ok. "Apology accepted" works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships