Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 12:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,398,829 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a Christian who likes to drink in moderation.I only drink in moderation.I never get drunk.My family especially my dad treats me very poorly for being a drinker.He says I am destroying my body and threatens to kick me out.I am of legal drinking age.They dont like me drinking in public .My grandfather saw me drink at a family wedding and chewed me out on the phone and nearly or possibly made me cry.My parents drink occasionally and my sister who is under 21 drinks illegally and they dont seem to have a problem with her drinking.Dad threatens to throw away all my booze.I get frustrated and then they yell and cuss at me for being mad.

i just think there is a disconnect because the early Christians drank and the Bible constantly teaches about the importance of being loving and treating others kindly especially fellow Christians.My cousins get drunk.Its just a real frustrating situation.I am trying to get my company off the ground so I can move out.Thanks everybody.heck, Christ's first miracle was turning water into wine.I just refuse to submit to people who are modern-day pharisees regarding booze.Sorry for this long-winded ramble.Thanks everybody..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 12:43 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,054,125 times
There is not a scriptural ban on the modest consumption of alcohol. After all, Christ's first miracle was the changing of water into wine at the wedding feast of Cana. And the resulting wine was praised by the household stewards for its quality, a product of its age and fermentation.

There are verses in the Bible against gluttony, too, but that doesn't mean we're not supposed to eat, right?

Old 11-11-2017, 12:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,394,295 times
I think many Christians need to accept that alcoholic beverages are part of the society we live in. They don't have to drink, but they will make themselves miserable trying to control what other people do.

Tell your grandfather that Jesus turned water into wine at a wedding feast. That might shut him up.

Continue drinking. And consider a vacation in the California wine country. It's beautiful there, nice weather, you'll get to see some old missions and lots of the wineries offer wine tasting events. I'm pretty sure the monks who built those old missions grew grapes to use in the wine that they bottled and sold. They drank it too.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:39 PM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Its not a universal Christian thing, just certain strict sects. We have wine at our church potlucks.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:53 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,054,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Its not a universal Christian thing, just certain strict sects. We have wine at our church potlucks.
In fact, most Christian denominations have zero problems with the moderate consumption of alcohol. Catholics, Episcopalians, Orthodox, Lutherans, and a host of others. It's the fundies who adhere to this belief.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:09 PM

14,505 posts, read 12,148,609 times
With elder family like parents, you probably have just two good choices: Avoid the thing that causes conflict (at least when family is around), or avoid the family. Those are the good choices. The bad choice is to fight with them about it, because you probably won't change them, and whether or not you drink at a family get together doesn't seem worth going to war with family over, imho.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
With elder family like parents, you probably have just two good choices: Avoid the thing that causes conflict (at least when family is around), or avoid the family. Those are the good choices. The bad choice is to fight with them about it, because you probably won't change them, and whether or not you drink at a family get together doesn't seem worth going to war with family over, imho.
Hello Diana....I am sorry I was not clear enough....the thing that I am having trouble with now is private home drinking.The family get together was years ago.My dad said hes kicking me out if I have two glasses of wine.I am just trying to get enough money from my company as soon as possible to move out .My dad is perfectly fine with my sister drinking when she is under 21.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:49 PM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
I knew a guy who grew up in a very strict Christian sect and even at age 60 he had never had a drink. I asked him about the Cana miracle, he said, "Oh no, Jesus turned the water into grape juice."

He also told me about a church his cousin attended. Very strict. One of the members was having a send-off party for his son who was going off to the Gulf war. He was given permission to borrow the church's sound system for music. Some other church members attended and discovered BEER was being consumed. They took the sound system and left.

The church divided into two over this situation. Literally, became two separate churches.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:55 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,176,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hello Diana....I am sorry I was not clear enough....the thing that I am having trouble with now is private home drinking.The family get together was years ago.My dad said hes kicking me out if I have two glasses of wine.I am just trying to get enough money from my company as soon as possible to move out .My dad is perfectly fine with my sister drinking when she is under 21.
If your dad doesn't mind your underage sister illegally drinking and he is threatening to kick you out if you legally drink two glasses of wine then I suspect that he is more upset about other things. Are you paying a fair rent to your parents? Are you helping enough around the house? Are you breaking other house rules?

Old 11-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If your dad doesn't mind your underage sister illegally drinking and he is threatening to kick you out if you legally drink two glasses of wine then I suspect that he is more upset about other things. Are you paying a fair rent to your parents? Are you helping enough around the house? Are you breaking other house rules?
I aint breaking other house rules.I help out around the ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships