Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:00 AM

62 posts, read 38,543 times

Advertisements

I need some advice on whether or not to talk to my brother about his 22 year old son.

My nephew is socially awkward, very childish and manipulative. Lets call him Tim, who just turned 22.
Tim is lazy and will do what is minimally required to live at home

Tim has my brother wrapped around his little finger. For instance, on a family vacation, he got up after everyone else had eaten. He looked around for something to eat, then told his Dad he wanted some eggs. My brother jumped up to make the eggs and my husband said to my brother, wait a minute, Tim is 22 yo, he should make his own eggs .

Now, my sister in law (Tim’s mother) is ready for Tim to move out. Tim is really unusually vindictive and malicious to his mother. My brother does not see the contempt Tim has to his own mother, thinks it is just teenage rebellion. I think Tim hates his mother for suggesting he act like a grown up and he (Tim) acts very loving and childish to his father to get his love and attention and to ensure he is not asked to leave the home.

I am flummoxed that my brother will allow his son to be so blatantly disrespectful to his wife (Tim’s mother). I feel bad for my SIL, she loves her son, but she has no support from my brother in enforcing healthy boundaries .

My two brothers and I are going to visit my father in late spring of this year.

I am thinking of talking to my brother about the family dynamics I have witnessed .

Do you think it is any of my business to discuss with my brother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 10:06 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomo30346 View Post
Simply, no.

Your SIL needs to deal with her own family issues. Offer her your support, but do not take the lead here.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:11 AM

62 posts, read 38,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Simply, no.

Your SIL needs to deal with her own family issues. Offer her your support, but do not take the lead here.
Thanks, I think SIL is very hurt by how her son treats her. Thanks for your advice.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
What are the odds your brother does NOT see that his son is acting immaturely, and didn't hear that your husband told your brother Tim should make his own eggs?

I'd say about nil. He knows it, and has chosen this path.

I think a lot of dynamics go on with adult sons and daughters, that aren't seen by outsiders. Your brother may be doing everything he can to keep his son's head above water.

(And BTW, I'd certainly make eggs for my 22 year old son on a family vacation, if breakfast had already been cleared, although my sons are not disrespectful. I'd say oh breakfast is cleared, are you hungry? Would you like eggs?)

Old 03-18-2019, 10:29 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,046 times
I do not think it's any of your business to discuss with your brother unless he brings it up for the purpose of asking your opinion or advice. Jumping in will just stir the pot, and it's not your pot to stir.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:33 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
A confrontation over a very obvious issue of long standing could actually tear your family apart. It is my opinion that you should just privately and quietly offer support to your sister in law and let her know the family is there if she needs help.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
No, not your problem.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:04 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,026 times
Mind your own business and stay away from Tim. I avoid drama and this sounds like drama X10. Tim’s parents dropped the ball and it’s not up to you to pick it up.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
None of your business.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomo30346 View Post

Yes. It's your family so it's your business. Of course they will probably be upset if you broach the topic of conversation but that's a risk I would be willing to take. I can't stand young adults who expect to be pampered and taken care of by others, who can't even cook their own food and think others should prepare their meals for them. When I was Tim's age I lived on my own and took care of my own needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships