Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 01:48 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,397,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The word "community" means something to me - it means caring.

I don't know if "you people" (the ones who are piling on to criticize me) have ever studied various tribes - tribal people support each other, because they have to for the sake of survival. They have figured it out.

Modern day "man" does not give a crap about anyone but "himself" - thus many people become isolated and all kinds of bad things happen to people when they are isolated.

Human beings, like dogs, are pack animals. If you want to pathologize that, I would not like you for a neighbor, either. I don't know why you would feel the need to insult me, but feel that says more about you than it does about me.
What makes you come to the conclusion that "these neighbors" are not tribal? They probably have their family (one tribe), their work (another tribe) all of which they care about. Those tribes they belong to support each other and care about each other. They just don't consider their neighborhood a tribe they belong to, no crime in that.

I have my family (community/tribe) and my work friends (another community/tribe as you put it). By the time I get home in my quiet, empty house (--which I embrace for a couple of hours before someone else from my "tribe" gets home), I am tribal out!

Old 12-19-2017, 01:54 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why was this thread even started? The OP WAS thanked! No it wasn't sky-written nor were a dozen roses sent, but good grief. He thanked you. MOVE ON! Life is waaaaaay to short for this nonsense.
OP isn't just looking for a thank you. She also wants neighbors who come over to braid each other's hair and share their deepest darkest secrets.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 12-19-2017, 01:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,843,573 times
You spent hundreds of dollars on a mail box?

Old 12-19-2017, 01:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
She would have included those stories if this thread were really about bad neighbors, but it isn't. She is not distraught over not receiving a thank you from the neighbor. She is distraught because she thought she could buy a friendship with the neighbor. She used an art style she believes the neighbor likes and she recently discovered that they share a hobby. She thought it would endear her to the neighbor and spark a friendship but it didn't. That is what she is really upset about.
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner winner chicken dinner right there. Sums up everything quite nicely.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:12 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
OP isn't just looking for a thank you. She also wants neighbors who come over to braid each other's hair and share their deepest darkest secrets.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
OP is looking for a new BFF or a new pet project. I'm so happy we're not neighbors!

Thank you all for the entertainment. It was a slow day at work and this was perfect!

Old 12-19-2017, 02:13 PM

24,639 posts, read 10,968,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Mailbox committee. Now that's funny!
Not funny at all. We had an HOA on a mission including what manufacturer's color white and which lettering (only available on line for about 5/number) was acceptable. Fines were slapped onto deeds within 90 days.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,843,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Not funny at all. We had an HOA on a mission including what manufacturer's color white and which lettering (only available on line for about 5/number) was acceptable. Fines were slapped onto deeds within 90 days.
I will never understand why residents of an HOA would ever support stuff like this.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:08 PM

48,559 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness;504[B
44213]I love where I live. It is perfect in every way, except for lack of friendly, supportive neighbors. When I say "supportive," I mean heart-centered people who actually care for others - it's a world view -[/b] not expecting actions, per se, but "good will," not phony pasted on smiles and hollow small talk. That's just my preference. Yes, I am idealistic. Always have been.

Yeah, but how does that manifest into actions in your view?

Why do you think the smiles are phony? I smile at my neighbor and engage in small talk, and none of it is phony. Neither of us wants to bond over childhood abuse or anything significant. Neighbors are people you randomly ended up living by, friends are the people you choose based upon what's important to you.

I still got a ride to the airport by another neighbor, and had someone borrow an egg when they were short, but we don't socialize a lot. Some neighbors do, but I choose not to.

We do have a few Facebook pages that keep us all "in touch" with none of that actual "touching." Perfect that way.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-19-2017, 04:31 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,664,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, but how does that manifest into actions in your view?

Why do you think the smiles are phony? I smile at my neighbor and engage in small talk, and none of it is phony. Neither of us wants to bond over childhood abuse or anything significant. Neighbors are people you randomly ended up living by, friends are the people you choose based upon what's important to you.

I still got a ride to the airport by another neighbor, and had someone borrow an egg when they were short, but we don't socialize a lot. Some neighbors do, but I choose not to.

We do have a few Facebook pages that keep us all "in touch" with none of that actual "touching." Perfect that way.
In the neighborhood I lived in once, it manifested into everyday small acts of kindness - just real friendliness, warmth and interest. Once in awhile, someone would have a BBQ or dinner party and everyone on the block would be invited. We were all very different, but shared the one common interest: The neighborhood . . . The interactions were casual, but heartfelt - nothing was forced - no one showed up on your doorstep daily. People did borrow sugar, eggs, whatever . . . it was just a great feeling to know that there were friendly people around. I think that would be the key, base element: General friendliness.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:37 PM

15,150 posts, read 27,826,289 times
DING, DING: FRIENDLINESS - try it

I know this thread will probably be locked but it sure is entertainment for me (much needed btw)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.