Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 02:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,067,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I think this is a bit much.

Whatever else has been said on this thread aside, the OP said there is a fence and some trees in between the properties and that the neighbor has no blinds or curtains. And it's one, low-wattage outdoor soft light.
A low fence that does nothing to block the light. It doesn't sound like the trees are doing anything to block the light either. I didn't see where the OP said it was a low wattage light, just that it isn't a flood light. A light shinning directly into someone's window does not need to be a flood light to be obnoxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 02:04 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,162,299 times
Quote:
I think this is a bit much.

Whatever else has been said on this thread aside, the OP said there is a fence and some trees in between the properties and that the neighbor has no blinds or curtains. And it's one, low-wattage outdoor soft light. Absolutely nothing to suggest it's an unreasonable setup for an average suburban neighborhood. IMHO the cranky neighbor is being the unreasonable one...though admittedly the OP isn't really presenting himself in a sterling manner.
I thought similar- describing me as "wanting to do whatever I want" in reference to a soft light in my yard behind trees, not really a very truthful way to describe it that way makes it sound as if I'm playing a trumpet at midnight or having loud all night parties.
Living in the suburbs means people make reasonable accommodations for life IN the SUBURBS- not to be confused with a lone country property under a inky black sky with no lights anywhere.
There's a tall street lamp in front of all the houses, and ad nauseum other homes also have outdoor lighting, some soft like us and others have flood lights. The vast vast majority like probably 99 % of houses DO though have something known as window dressings of one sort or another. It's kind of odd that living alone in her later years there she wouldn't naturally want some type of shades- I guess most people and families also automatically feel the need to have some privacy. Since she doesn't she is choosing that

Old 01-01-2018, 02:12 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,071,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
A low fence that does nothing to block the light. It doesn't sound like the trees are doing anything to block the light either. I didn't see where the OP said it was a low wattage light, just that it isn't a flood light. A light shinning directly into someone's window does not need to be a flood light to be obnoxious.
I didn't see reference to a low fence, FWIW, either.

I live in a great suburban neighborhood. If I wanted to, however, i could find a dozen things that I'd consider obnoxious by your definition. But if I think about it, none of them truly are especially in the context of living in relatively close proximity to a diverse set of people. I'll save the obnoxious definition for things like 24/7 dog barking, pre-6am power tools, or pervasive littering.

We did have one obnoxious lighting situation with a new neighbor that was resolved amicably. One day he installed a high-mounted, commercial, sodium-vapor flood that was poorly aimed and blasted 5600K light through our shaded master BR windows. A friendly conversation and 10 minutes later I helped him re-aim the light and both of us were pleased.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 8 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,239,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I thought similar- describing me as "wanting to do whatever I want" in reference to a soft light in my yard behind trees, not really a very truthful way to describe it that way makes it sound as if I'm playing a trumpet at midnight or having loud all night parties.
Living in the suburbs means people make reasonable accommodations for life IN the SUBURBS- not to be confused with a lone country property under a inky black sky with no lights anywhere.
There's a tall street lamp in front of all the houses, and ad nauseum other homes also have outdoor lighting, some soft like us and others have flood lights. The vast vast majority like probably 99 % of houses DO though have something known as window dressings of one sort or another. It's kind of odd that living alone in her later years there she wouldn't naturally want some type of shades- I guess most people and families also automatically feel the need to have some privacy. Since she doesn't she is choosing that
But she isn't complaining about the other lights is she? There must be something about your light that is different, like maybe it's just at the right height and shines at just the right angle to be bothersome.
Instead of all the justification as to why you couldn't possibly be creating a problem and blaming it all on her being persnickety, why don't you at least talk to her, maybe try to see if it really is bothersome from where she is, and try compromise?
It's the obstinate refusal to admit there might be some truth to what she says that is so confounding. Just because she's a PITA doesn't mean she can't have a legitimate gripe every once in a while.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:18 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,215,949 times
Tell her the lights are on because there are violent gangs of rapists lurking in the darkness

Old 01-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I didn't see reference to a low fence, FWIW, either.
The OP said it wasn't tall enough to keep out criminals, which is why a light is needed in addition to a fence.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Tell her the lights are on because there are violent gangs of rapists lurking in the darkness
Lights don't keep criminals away. Studies have been done that actually show the opposite (linked a few posts ago). Besides, most crimes happen during the day. A light bulb on the side of a house is not going to stop someone from breaking into a house while the homeowners are away at work or running errands. Or stop your car from being stolen from the driveway as you warm it up in the morning before work.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
You are just making some of these things up assuming stuff that the trees don't filter the light out and thatnthebkine shines directly into her window...fwiw I did say more than once it is a low watt light. A soft light the most low key light we could get the local pd would recommend to be effective for safety

Old 01-01-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Lights don't keep criminals away. Studies have been done that actually show the opposite (linked a few posts ago). Besides, most crimes happen during the day. A light bulb on the side of a house is not going to stop someone from breaking into a house while the homeowners are away at work or running errands. Or stop your car from being stolen from the driveway as you warm it up in the morning before work.
Please phone our local police departments in our area, to inform them you've found out they're information they have in law enforcement is incorrect and then you can help them with their crime prevention strategies... they all say lighting is one of the basic first line of defense security to discourage crime ( why do you suppose businesses have it as well? Your reassurance that probably most crime occurs during the day is not helpful when it does happen at night and it does indeed happen at night. When someone breaks into your home at 1 am telling your family "damm that poster said this happens more during the day, I'm sorry" doesn't really help.

Not everyone chooses to and is their choice but majority of homes in our area use at least some type of outdoor lighting varying from a low light on a side yard like us to high beams positioned at the four corners of their home and others
- I suppose as one poster said we could just get a ferocious German shepherd watchdog and let her know good news, we don't need a light- now instead of that we got a really sharp German shepherd watchdog, we will probably have him be outside most of the night or at least until after midnight to bark his head off if he hears a sound. Well that was a poster above what they suggested to compromise on the light issue. But we won't be able to install a device to mute his barking to a barely audible bark. She won't like that German shepherds can't be turned on mute.

Last edited by mondayafternoons; 01-01-2018 at 02:44 PM..

Old 01-01-2018, 02:52 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,928,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
Yes, I'd also want to know how this light is affecting her.
If anything, I'd act quite sympathetic & tell her that you'll 'make a shade' so that the light bulb itself is not in her line of sight.
Then you might find out what her real problem is.
(A simple one-sided shade can easily be fashioned out of a drink can or a piece of plastic cut from an ice-cream container)

Yeah-that should class up the joint for sure....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships