Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:33 PM

6,517 posts, read 6,724,398 times

Advertisements

When I send a text message, many sentences seem to come off as possibly rude if I just end with a period. I find myself ending sentences with exclamation marks or smiley faces to convey friendliness, though in real life I'm a "grammar/spelling/punctuation snob."

Example, I texted a friend today to see I found she wanted to join me for a movie today. She texted back asking if tomorrow would work. I then texted "Sure." To my eyes, that seems like I could be saying "Ok, I guess so, but I'm not thrilled about it." So I changed it to Sure!
My intended message of "Yes, that's totally fine" seemed more clearly conveyed.

Have we (I) just gotten so used to overuse of exclamation marks and smiley faces that periods seem blunt and negative? Or am I overthinking this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 06:47 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,607,933 times
I don't like the thumbs up, smiley face, nor laughing face emojis. Too overused, trite, seem juvenile at times. All three are annoying - and way over-utilized.

yes, saying 'yes, that is totally fine' is well composed.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:58 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 7 hours ago)

35,873 posts, read 18,181,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
When I send a text message, many sentences seem to come off as possibly rude if I just end with a period. I find myself ending sentences with exclamation marks or smiley faces to convey friendliness, though in real life I'm a "grammar/spelling/punctuation snob."

Example, I texted a friend today to see I found she wanted to join me for a movie today. She texted back asking if tomorrow would work. I then texted "Sure." To my eyes, that seems like I could be saying "Ok, I guess so, but I'm not thrilled about it." So I changed it to Sure!
My intended message of "Yes, that's totally fine" seemed more clearly conveyed.

Have we (I) just gotten so used to overuse of exclamation marks and smiley faces that periods seem blunt and negative? Or am I overthinking this?
I'm aware of this too. Recently, a close friend of mine (mid 50's like I am) told me her daughter said she's a "rude texter". In that she doesn't put exclamation points and smilies.

I agree with you. Sure! is much better than Sure.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:58 PM

14,637 posts, read 12,305,115 times
Overthinking.... Use emojis... they make communications clearer and friendlier.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:01 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,308,608 times
You could use other words than "sure", such as "sounds good" or "that works". Or just a thumbs up emoji. Or you could type "kk" and have a keyboard shortcut that expands it to "yes, that is totally fine."

Old 01-03-2018, 07:14 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,561,767 times
Back in the newsgroup days we refused to allow emoticons because they were used in place of good writing that could convey humor and satire with words. With texting being difficult on phone keyboards, that is no longer a valid criticism because people want to be brief. That limitation was directed at ASCII character combos like the ; - ) symbols.
Unfortunately with emoji there are 2666 possible codes with system variations on what they actually look like. So these are now more expressive than words.
"Get with the program"

Old 01-03-2018, 07:15 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,026,011 times
In a nutshell, that's the problem with texting. It isn't always the most expedient way to get a message across. I admit, I use it, a lot. But I have to add silly emoji expressions to make sure the words match the intention. I hate emojis!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:57 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,308,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
In a nutshell, that's the problem with texting. It isn't always the most expedient way to get a message across. I admit, I use it, a lot. But I have to add silly emoji expressions to make sure the words match the intention. I hate emojis!
It's still better than a long phone call with the obligatory hello, how are you doing, I'm fine, see you soon, bye bye wrapped around the actual exchange of info, assuming you are both free to discuss it at the same time in the first place.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:26 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,026,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's still better than a long phone call with the obligatory hello, how are you doing, I'm fine, see you soon, bye bye wrapped around the actual exchange of info, assuming you are both free to discuss it at the same time in the first place.
The "better" aspect is debatable ( but I don't care to debate it). I'm old enough to remember life before texting, and never had a problem relaying information when a phone was the only option. As I said, I do text, often. But if I have any concerns about my message being misconstrued, I'd rather call, and leave a message requesting a call back, rather than resort to emojis.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:33 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,520,528 times
I remember hearing from a young 20-something that periods in texts were considered rude. I do think it seems to be an emoji/exclamation mark world out there. I'm in my 40s, but I do tend towards exclamation marks. I have to sometimes censor my emails for them. I just tend to be pretty upbeat and positive in communications and the occasional exclamation mark fits that well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships