Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 12:38 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,688 times

Advertisements

I have a cousin who I used to be quite close to. We were born in the same small town and spent a lot of time together until my parents divorced and we moved. Jim and I are the same age. Years later as adults we periodically kept in touch. He's funny, witty, interesting, and I used to enjoy his company.

Jim got a scholarship to a prestigious college, he worked hard, and became quite successful in the pharmaceutical industry. He married in his 30s and they have one daughter. I was genuinely happy for him that he had a nice life. He's retired now and does consultant work, but when he was working his job(s) moved him around a lot - different state every few yrs and he also worked in the UK for a few years.......always climbing the professional ladder.

About 10-15 yrs ago I noticed a change. He developed an arrogance and conceit that (to me) was a huge turnoff. For example, on the phone and a few times in person I've heard him say that he's "so rich he has to be careful because other people want money". (barf) Well, I don't know for certain who has asked him for money, but even if I was hungry and homeless I would never contact him. He also says things like "I had to take my new Porsche in to be serviced." Then there was a back-stabbing incident where he repeated something I'd told him in confidence.

Small world......Jim and his family moved to a suburb about 20 miles away 3 yrs ago. They've never contacted me....fine. But recently I heard from another relative who ran into Jim at a store. The person asked if I see Jim often, and I just said "No, not anymore. People drift apart and life goes on." I left it at that.

Have you ever known someone who brags about being "rich" and assumes everyone is jealous and wants to borrow money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 01:02 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,888 times
The ones who brag to me are insecure people who made it and let it go to their head. I met a few very wealthy people and you wouldn't even know they had a lot of money.

I do understand why he complains about people who always want to "borrow" money from him though.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:15 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I do understand why he complains about people who always want to "borrow" money from him though.
Yeah, that one's a legit complaint (abet not one to air in public, as this guy apparently does).

I've noticed a fair number of people undergo drastic personality changes (and usually not for the better) as they begin to age in earnest. Maybe it has something to do with how aging is affecting their brains?

Old 12-07-2017, 01:37 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
Those who are TRULY rich don't say a word about it. Same for being smart.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:58 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I have a friend who grew up very poor, did well in her career, and married a man who started out with some money and has become quite wealthy. My friend is pretty obnoxious and we've drifted apart. She does a lot of humble bragging, like complaining about how her high school children think nothing of buying $200 sandals or bathing suits--always making sure to say how much it all costs. Lots of "Ed is going to kill me when he sees that this vacation is costing $10,000!" But she has good qualities too and I try to just ignore the obnoxiousness when I do see her.

Last edited by Marlow; 12-07-2017 at 02:59 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 02:17 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,744,124 times
People who do that are often only rich on paper. Most people with real money don't feel the need to advertise it.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:23 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
No, not really but I would assume that their life is miserable.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:30 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,691,377 times
Well, Porsches do need to go in for service.

Seriously, why is OP hanging on to this? Seems you parted ways years ago. By holding on to this, it seems like you are somewhat jealous.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Have you ever known someone who brags about being "rich" and assumes everyone is jealous and wants to borrow money?
Yes, but people with real money don't talk about it. Perhaps he's not as rich as he pretends to be?
You'd be surprised at how many people with serious wealth but drive used cars, wear ordinary clothes and don't live in mansions. They save and invest their money.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:40 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
We have an acquaintance that has a successful business and is constantly throwing around his money by taking people out to eat. But he also never tips and he always sends his food back multiple times. He's a total jack***.

Little by little, people stopped hanging around him and stopped going to his lavish parties. Now he's moving to Atlanta to be with people more "his stature".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships