Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 09:35 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,528 times

Advertisements

Let's just say people are getting too lazy and they simply don't want to do more with their brain. The one that who does want to use their brain, it doesnt matter what job they hold, they will always use their brain to make their work efficient. Sometime the employer killed the motivation that certain employee has, so that could be the reason why a cashier might refuse to do the basic math and give you all dollar bill instead of a five dollar bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 09:47 PM

666 posts, read 642,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post

Remember, they aren't hired for their math skills. They're not even hired for their ability to think. A story I love to tell involves a long time cashier at one store I stop at almost daily. For years now I've walked up with my coffee and rewards card in hand. I immediately hand her my card which she scans. The register is slower than her scanning. A few seconds after she scans my card she asks me...."do you have your rewards card?"...."oh, we already did that". Why? Because that's what comes up on the script screen and she can't think beyond that.
Wow. What a tale to love to tell. After you've finished patting yourself on the back during your latest retelling of the tale of the "script screen", consider giving the person a break for flubbing their words a bit. Something I'm sure you've never done during a long day at work.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:47 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I understood what he was doing and often I do the same thing in regards to quarters. no need to make anything up. Get out and enjoy life more lol

I hardly think someone who "maximizes quarters" is in any position to tell someone else to "get out and enjoy life more".......

Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
We may thank the current technology for attributing to this trade off. As a modern society we have traded in brain skills for software produced results.
So next time you ask for or are expecting change...Just remember you gave up simple math to hurry you thru a line.
( PS I still use cash..And checks too. I like to take my time in practicing patience)

Old 01-06-2018, 10:18 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,405 times
I totally agree with this. If I am doing cash anywhere I try to use pennies so I don't get pennies back. If the charge is $2.88 I might give $3.03. I'd rather have nickles in my wallet than pennies. What gets me is how quick they punch the next button on their register. I'll say, wait I have a couple pennies and they have already punched the bill amount and change due is already up and they can't make the difference in their heads. Now I dig out my change before I hand out the bill so that way they have to punch in the whole amount.

So if it's $2.78 I'd give them $3.03 and get a quarter back. No one can figure it out.

I used to work in a store and we didn't have those newfangled registers so we'd count out the change from the charge to the money. It was a long time ago and we had those little machines with a plate and a slide bar to use a credit card. I'll bet a lot of you never saw one of those!

Clerks might know how to make change if the whole world hadn't changed to electronic swiping. I wonder just what kids are learning in schools these days.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
It's not the cashier no doubt thought you were trying to scam her and I don't blame her a bit -what a ridiculous azz backward bizarre request- I had to read this several times to even comprehend wtf you were trying to accomplish.
Huh? It wasn't that hard to understand.

Although I will say, it's not really a cashier's job necessarily to give people back bigger bills if they want it, because they may not have it in their register. Cashiers are not bank tellers.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:29 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Just last night we went to Home Depot to buy some thin carpeting to line our toolboxes with. We found a nice piece in the markdown section, and the man in that area wrote up a slip, showing the "was" price and the "is" price..........50% off.

We got to the checkout and the cashier (a young Hispanic girl with limited English skills) couldn't grasp that it was half off. We kept showing her the ticket he wrote up, but she kept ringing it up at full price. By now, the line is getting longer and she has this blank, confused look on her face, and we almost had to ring it up ourselves to get out of there. She kept confusing the "is" he wrote with "15" and was trying to charge us for 15 feet instead of 9.

I considered calling the manager to tell him she has no business being on the register, but I didn't want to mess with someone's job, so I didn't. But it took forever to get out of there.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:34 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
And shame on them for not knowing how to use an abacus, or a slide rule, or a rotary telephone, or a cassette player, or a bankbook? I'd be willing to bet that those kids who can't make your change can do things with phone apps and computers that you probably didn't even know was possible, lol. Times change, this is a part of it.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:45 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,754,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
It's not the cashier no doubt thought you were trying to scam her and I don't blame her a bit -what a ridiculous azz backward bizarre request- I had to read this several times to even comprehend wtf you were trying to accomplish-(and I'm still not sure). Hey bub- got 2 10's for a 5? how bout if I give you this $1 you give me a $5- she was probably trying to figure out how to reconcile it in her register so some doof wouldn't have to cope with a bit of jingle in his pockets. Geezus- it's like this guy ahead of me in line at a fast food place trying to make the kid do all this weird stuff with his order and giving him grief like it was a freakin 5 star gourmet restaurant, ................people.................

trying to maximize your quarters......................lol.......you can't make this stuff up.
I had the same thought. Something out of the ordinary was being requested and any good cashier should have been cautious.

I was scammed out of $20 when I was a cashier working while in high school. A very skilled fast talker wanted change and kept switching what he wanted as I pulled different bills out for combinations he was giving me. After that, I learned to never leave the drawer open for more than one request. I shut it after each transaction. To my delight I had someone try that on me again and they got very upset that I wouldn’t leave the drawer open for the swindle to work. Fool me once.....

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-06-2018 at 11:19 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 10:49 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
I got out a $5 bill to pay for a $3.81 purchase, with the intention of get one penny out of my pocket. The clerk saw the $5 bill and entered that as the amount tendered. After I got my penny out and tried to hand it to him, he looked confused. I tried to explain that I was giving him a penny so I could get $1.20 in change. That confused him even more. He finally got a manager, who knew what I was trying to do, and I got my change. Had I known it was going to be this complicated I would have just put the penny back in my pocket and taken the $1.19 in change. I don't know what this kid would do if he had to make change out of a cash box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships