Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 12:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,058,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Exactly. I had a hard time understanding what the OP was saying. When I first started reading the post, I thought it was going to be one of those cases where the item rang up as $4.04 and the cashier got confused when he handed her a $5 Bill and a nickel so he could get $1 and a penny back. But no, it wasn't anything like that.

In fact, it sounds to me as if it was the OP who made the process unnecessarily convoluted or that his own instructions to the cashier confused her. If you were owed $4 and change and wanted $5, what you normally do is give the change. You don't give an extra dollar. That's literally the opposite way that everyone else does it. If you don't want change, you give the cashier the change so you will only get bills back. You don't give an extra bill. It makes no sense to do that because the whole point of giving extra money is so you can get less change but OP was giving her an extra $1 bill which would've still given him a bunch of change, anyway? No wonder she was confused. There arw people who don't want their change back and ask for just the bills portion of their chamge back, so its possible the cashier thought that is what the OP was doing.

To make matters worse, the OP told the cashier that he was giving her a dollar to get back $5 when he would've been owed $5 plus the difference in change. So that must have confused the cashier even further, had her thinking, "Well, it sounds like he only wants $5 back but he would also be owed this extra change, too. Does he want the change or no?"
It seems like the OP was making a return and wanted her refund in cash instead of refunded back on her debit (even though her wallet is apparently too small for cash, so that still makes no sense). People typically are not handing over cash during a return, so I could see where the cashier was confused. Especially since it seems like the OP worded it oddly, asking for $5 back instead of her change as well.

This really has nothing to do with making change, since the OP was being refunded a certain amount and not paying for a purchase. Next time the OP should go to the bank if she needs certain bills. A cashier is not your personal ATM.

I always hated the customers who treated me like a bank. They would want $100 cash back( which is fine), but then would say they need the $100 in small biills preferably $1 and $5. Then they'd get angry when I didnt have that type of money in my register. Just take your change how the cashier is able to give it to you. If you need specific bills, or $20 in quarters to do laundry, that is what banks are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 12:15 PM

130,749 posts, read 12,197,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It seems like the OP was making a return and wanted her refund in cash instead of refunded back on her debit (even though her wallet is apparently too small for cash, so that still makes no sense). People typically are not handing over cash during a return, so I could see where the cashier was confused. Especially since it seems like the OP worded it oddly, asking for $5 back instead of her change as well.

This really has nothing to do with making change, since the OP was being refunded a certain amount and not paying for a purchase. Next time the OP should go to the bank if she needs certain bills. A cashier is not your personal ATM.

I always hated the customers who treated me like a bank. They would want $100 cash back( which is fine), but then would say they need the $100 in small biills preferably $1 and $5. Then they'd get angry when I didnt have that type of money in my register. Just take your change how the cashier is able to give it to you. If you need specific bills, or $20 in quarters to do laundry, that is what banks are for.
I agree, it was a bit nitpicky of Op to treat a return cashier like a bank teller. Just put the money back on the debit card & make a withdrawal elsewhere.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,415,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I agree, it was a bit nitpicky of Op to treat a return cashier like a bank teller. Just put the money back on the debit card & make a withdrawal elsewhere.
I used to cashier at a drugstore when I was 18, and the same people would come in wanting me to cash their traveler's checks. They humiliated me when I didn't know what a traveler's check was. They copped this hoity-toity attitude "oh, I can see you've never traveled abroad". The manager finally put a stop to it and told them we weren't a bank and that we wouldn't cash them anymore.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:29 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,407,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

When did basic math get so hard for people?
You already know what you want, you already have the plan in your head. You catch the cashier off guard. She is probably multi-tasking in her head. She is ready for the next person in line. Give her a break.

We are also so used to everything being computerized. I give them a break.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:12 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,008,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I used to cashier at a drugstore when I was 18, and the same people would come in wanting me to cash their traveler's checks. They humiliated me when I didn't know what a traveler's check was. They copped this hoity-toity attitude "oh, I can see you've never traveled abroad". The manager finally put a stop to it and told them we weren't a bank and that we wouldn't cash them anymore.
How did you not bite their head-off? Grrrr

Old 01-07-2018, 01:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,365,179 times
Well, ya lost me. I'm not a number's person but I can think of ways to understand change making. Don't just blame cashiers. I think teachers should teach that in early elementary. Just so kids know something their parents don't.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:46 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I hardly think someone who "maximizes quarters" is in any position to tell someone else to "get out and enjoy life more".......
I get what they are saying. There are situation where you need to have quarters and so you try to get as many in your change as you can.

Years ago I did this when I had to do my laundry at a laundromat. And when the rail rapid transit system took quarters instead of the cards they have now.

I still need quarters for the parking meters in the town where I get my hair done and shop. Debit cards don't cut it in those situations.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:48 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,266,266 times
I'll tell you that having cash registers that tallied up your change was what made me loose my natural math abilities when I was a cashier back in the day.

People seldom count your change back these days.

And, your trying to get her to give you a five probably threw her.....So....next time simply get your refund.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
They may have traveled, but they had no class.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

Rude idiots, they may have traveled, but they had no class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships