Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 760 times

Advertisements

I have been having difficulties living with my family. I've struggled with depression for a few years now. Recently, I've been feeling a bit better but now I've been starting to get worse. My mother and grandmother have always been very paranoid about strangers being out to get them. They always told me to never give personal information to strangers and sometimes even to my own friends. Now it's gone from strangers to friends and even their own family. All they say is that everyone is out to get each other and you should never trust anyone even your own family. And that the only one I can trust is them.

Naturally, having depression this makes me feel<bleep> horrible. Not to mention, they speak like this everyday. They also constantly spy on our neighbors and gossip about them. There is also a weird obsession/hatred with our next door neighbor. I have lived with them for a long time. Is this type of behaviour normal? All I have is a part time job so I don't have enough money to rent a place for myself. What should I do? It feels like their voices are at the back of my head and I can never escape it.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-21-2018 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 05:29 PM

12,335 posts, read 17,203,942 times
It's not normal, and we are affected by our environments when there long term. It does not sound like you are following suit on the spying on the neighbor. Since you have a part time job you have a foundation set already. In your free time, spend more time out of the house if you can't leave it and move. Hit the gym, take up a sport, hobby, do some volunteer work (looks good professionally as a bonus) Set a timeline to move and go from there. If you give max effort to things, something positive WILL change in due time.

Myself and many I know have endured and escaped crazy or abusive households. We cannot always choose where we begin, but can where it will end. Hope this year brings great things for ya.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,278,331 times
No, not normal. How old are you?

Old 01-20-2018, 10:33 PM

325 posts, read 373,305 times
Get out of the house. Rent a room if you must until you are able to afford an apartment. The difficulty and the depression you feel is likely related to how out of control you feel. Take control of your life.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:41 AM

5,463 posts, read 3,086,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruhbruh View Post
I have been having difficulties living with my family. I've struggled with depression for a few years now. Recently, I've been feeling a bit better but now I've been starting to get worse. My mother and grandmother have always been very paranoid about strangers being out to get them. They always told me to never give personal information to strangers and sometimes even to my own friends. Now it's gone from strangers to friends and even their own family. All they say is that everyone is out to get each other and you should never trust anyone even your own family. And that the only one I can trust is them.

Naturally, having depression this makes me feel ****ing horrible. Not to mention, they speak like this everyday. They also constantly spy on our neighbors and gossip about them. There is also a weird obsession/hatred with our next door neighbor. I have lived with them for a long time. Is this type of behaviour normal? All I have is a part time job so I don't have enough money to rent a place for myself. What should I do? It feels like their voices are at the back of my head and I can never escape it.
I would .
1. Stop doing what they do. You're gossiping.
2. Grow up
3. Get a job.

But you already knew all that and just want to sucker other fools into your little drama.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,284,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
It's not normal, and we are affected by our environments when there long term. It does not sound like you are following suit on the spying on the neighbor. Since you have a part time job you have a foundation set already. In your free time, spend more time out of the house if you can't leave it and move. Hit the gym, take up a sport, hobby, do some volunteer work (looks good professionally as a bonus) Set a timeline to move and go from there. If you give max effort to things, something positive WILL change in due time.

Myself and many I know have endured and escaped crazy or abusive households. We cannot always choose where we begin, but can where it will end. Hope this year brings great things for ya.
Excellent advice.

No, their behavior is NOT normal. It is very abnormal.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:22 AM

9,510 posts, read 11,278,010 times
Start leaving boxes of rat poison around the house. That will help them with their paranoia because, as we all know, it's not paranoia if they really ARE after you!

Things should normalize quickly...

Old 01-21-2018, 12:06 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,191,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruhbruh View Post
Naturally, having depression this makes me feel<bleep> horrible. Not to mention, they speak like this everyday. They also constantly spy on our neighbors and gossip about them. There is also a weird obsession/hatred with our next door neighbor. I have lived with them for a long time. Is this type of behaviour normal? All I have is a part time job so I don't have enough money to rent a place for myself. What should I do? It feels like their voices are at the back of my head and I can never escape it.
Interesting. Perhaps you are asking or speculating on the possibility that schizophrenia runs in families? That's typical wacko / schizie behavior, along with "gang stalking" and other insanity. "Everyone out to get me" paranoia comes up pretty much every time the problem is described, too, along with government conspiracies and spying, aliens peeking in the windows and abducting people, and similar.

Like someone matters that much that anyone would go through the bother. Last time "the State" paid attention to me was when I owed the IRS some money due to an error on a deceased family member's taxes. I couldn't really argue with their logic, double-checking, so paid it. They went away and probably won't ever be back. No one cares about others absent financial considerations (no. 1) and criminal complaints (no. 2, if sufficiently egregious).

Old 01-24-2018, 08:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,345,231 times
I agree with a lot of what they're telling you. I believe it to be more normal than not.
There's nothing you can do about it though ,since you live in their house.
As an adult you can choose to believe what they say or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships