Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 12:54 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Someone I went to high school with who moved to NC did this to me. We were FB friends, as I am with many people from high school, and she kept sending me invites because she sells some likely Ponzi scheme makeup brand over the internet. I received a PM from her and literally have not spoken to her since high school, if I even spoke to her in high school at all. She was like "Hey girl! It's been a while since we talked, how have you been? I think you'd really enjoy this makeup I'm selling" blah blah. Some generic message probably spammed to everyone. I deleted the message and forgot about it. Then she did it again. Then I removed her from my friends list because I was annoyed. Then she messaged me AGAIN even though we weren't friends. That's when I blocked her.

This is the only person who has done this type of thing to me, but yeah it was pretty annoying. Sending ONE, I mean, okay. But two more times?? Just no. Take a hint. And get a real job.
Why don't people reply anymore? Why resort to "hints"? The polite thing to do is to simply say "Thank you for thinking of me, but it's not something I'm interested in/don't have any need for." That gets her off your back and allows her to focus her attention on people who are more likely to give her business. Why do people just ignore and then block?

(And yes, I know that there is occasionally the person who can't take no for an answer, but I feel like there's nothing wrong with one reply of "thanks, but no thanks" before jumping to being annoyed.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have several friends that have gotten involved with these sales schemes. It's an easy way to make some extra money. I have had people request to become my friend (friend of a friend) and then flood me with parties or messages to buy things. It truly has gotten out of hand.
It's what those MLM schemes demand of their "sellers"--they're pressured get their friends involved and post about how great the products are. It's annoying, but I feel bad for the sellers at the same time, since often times they've put up their own money and are trying to recoup expenses so they don't lose money on something they thought would be a side hustle to earn extra income.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Why don't people reply anymore? Why resort to "hints"? The polite thing to do is to simply say "Thank you for thinking of me, but it's not something I'm interested in/don't have any need for." That gets her off your back and allows her to focus her attention on people who are more likely to give her business. Why do people just ignore and then block?

(And yes, I know that there is occasionally the person who can't take no for an answer, but I feel like there's nothing wrong with one reply of "thanks, but no thanks" before jumping to being annoyed.)
I don't feel I am under any obligation to reply to a business request from someone I don't really actually know on FB. I just see it as spam.

I don't think it is appropriate for people to keep trying once ignored. If one is interested in the Ponzi scheme business venture, I think they would probably answer. I see your point, but I have no desire to engage.

And I actually just went back to check to see if I still have the messages, and she actually worded it really creepily the first time. It started off as if she was trying to come onto me, then she was like "you'd be perfect doing what I do!" It really put me off, I was just like... nah. Not even getting a response. I thought I deleted it, but I didn't. I just ignored it.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:22 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I know a couple of people who know someone else, who wants to sell their stuff. I ignore them all.

I've got one friend who sells candles. She sells them on her regular FB page.
One of HER friends has those online parties, and I always get invited...and ignore them.
My husband's niece has a friend who sells home made baby blankets...I ignore

Accidentally accepted an invitation to a online makeup party...HER offers filled up my facebook notifications. LOL Was SOOO glad when that was over.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:33 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
I don't feel I am under any obligation to reply to a business request from someone I don't really actually know on FB. I just see it as spam.

I guess I feel like if I know them well enough to have added them as a friend, I at least owe them that courtesy.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I guess I feel like if I know them well enough to have added them as a friend, I at least owe them that courtesy.
lol We had been FB friends since high school. I was in early high school when FB use became really prevalent, and we friended basically everyone we went to school with. I was FB friends with probably my entire grade, as long as they all had an account, too, and those in grades above and below me. She was just a leftover from that time. I have actually been editing my friends list a lot and removing people I don't speak to and never really did. I probably would have deleted her as a friend regardless of her annoying insistence that I join her Ponzi scheme.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:43 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,989 times
Quote:
lol We had been FB friends since high school. I was in early high school when FB use became really prevalent, and we friended basically everyone we went to school with. I was FB friends with probably my entire grade, as long as they all had an account, too, and those in grades above and below me. She was just a leftover from that time. I have actually been editing my friends list a lot and removing people I don't speak to and never really did. I probably would have deleted her as a friend regardless of her annoying insistence that I join her Ponzi scheme.

I agree...if you're going to be stingy enough to send a spammy message to me, I don't owe you any kind of response.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:28 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,874 times
At least it's just an online message. Years ago before FB my friend got suckered into selling Mary Kay. Her "upline" leader gave talks about how to find clients. One was to go to a craft store in the middle of the day (like Hobby Lobby or Michaels) and find some obviously stay-at-home mom pushing her cart around with babies/young children, especially a woman who looked sad or lonely. Then she was to compliment her on something in order to start a conversation, after which she'd invite her for a "facial". I thought that was so low. After I got married and moved to my husband's hometown I got inundated with party requests and I too fell for a lot of these cons. It's amazing how when money is involved people will fake relationships just for their own gain. People I know who sell MLM's will swear they don't do this but they may not even realize how friendly they are to someone if they think they might make a sale.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:45 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Over the years I have had many friends invite me to these party's. Sometimes I'd go and buy something I didn't need and other times I'd decline. There were 2 people who bugged me so much to buy their stuff and bugged me constantly to have a party that I actually stopped talking to them all together. To me they weren't contacting me to say "Hi, how are you", they were calling to either sell me something or ask me to have a party. I had enough. I'm not on any social media, but I have heard about people having FB parties, etc. I want no part of it.

I sell insurance for a living and everyone who knows me knows what I do. I don't bug them, if they want a quote I'll give them one, but I won't harass anyone about it.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:00 PM

658 posts, read 721,889 times
I have been to a few parties for stuff like Pampered Chef and something about spices. I can't even remember, LOL. I really did not mind the Pampered Chef one at all and found quite a few items I still use today and that was like 15 years ago. I've bought from them here and there when I need something, that's about all. But I like that one and don't have a problem ordering from someone who sells that stuff.

Now when you get into the makeups and the creams and the anti aging and pretty much everything else, Ugh. I did like Jamberry for a while til they wrecked my nails. That was sad because I LIKED those and after using them a few months my nails went from really healthy to peeling and brittle and I can't seem to get them back to their old selves anymore. Jamberry reps will swear on their children that these wraps will never hurt your nails and it's how you put them on or took them off etc. which caused the problem but way too many people have the same thing happen to them for it to be all user error.

Now the job of these people is not to sell you STUFF, it's to sell you "the opportunity". That's where the real money is. So when we went to my sister in law's little spice party, the representative (SIL was "host") sat us all down in a circle and basically started her pitch with asking each of us in turn what we would do with $1000 extra every month. *sigh* I mean, seriously? You're trying to say we all will make 1000 extra dollars a month just selling spices? I think it was "Epicure". I HATE when they say stuff like that because for most people it's a lie. Not everyone will make that kind of money consistently. It feels like you're just being played.

I'm extremely sensitive to how people treat me and their motives. If there's anything they want from me, I take it into account. I have answered the phone with, "What do you want?" because even family were always asking me for something.

Last edited by CamillaB; 02-09-2018 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships