Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:14 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssusie123 View Post
When she makes that remark I typically ignore it because if I make a snarky comeback it may lead to an argument or even physical altercation. She's obviously trying to bait me into arguing with her. If I bring up the fact that she's a single mother with two out of wedlock kids, things are going to get nasty and we're likely to get into a fight. That's why I felt that the Dean needed to intervene
Takes two to argue, or heaven forbid, get physical.

Which is why I suggested laughing her off. Make a joke out of it, and walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:18 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times
Quote:
If I bring up the fact that she's a single mother with two out of wedlock kids, things are going to get nasty and we're likely to get into a fight.
Maybe that's what you need to do, shut her down with that fact. That's the only way she'll get off you.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:20 AM

21 posts, read 23,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Maybe that's what you need to do, shut her down with that fact. That's the only way she'll get off you.
If we end up fighting this could get us kicked out of the nursing program. It makes us both look bad.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:22 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
When she makes that remark I typically ignore it because if I make a snarky comeback it may lead to an argument or even physical altercation. She's obviously trying to bait me into arguing with her. If I bring up the fact that she's a single mother with two out of wedlock kids, things are going to get nasty and we're likely to get into a fight. That's why I felt that the Dean needed to intervene
You need to understand the role of the dean before you choose the dean as the appropriate route for your personal situation. The role of the dean is to hire and manage staff, oversee curriculum mapping, address academic concerns, ensure high student completion rates, put the school on the map as "the greatest", oversee budgets, professional development for staff and other dean-like things.

You're right about not engaging, but I do think it's a mistake to report it to the dean. If you are having difficulties with interpersonal relationships in the form of remaining silent when other students are cruel, the most the dean can do is to refer you to assertive training courses.

When you write this: "That's why I felt that the Dean needed to intervene", it sounds like you've already reported this to the dean. If so, what did the Dean suggest?

What do you hope to achieve by reporting it to the Dean? Are you hoping that it will result in a black mark on the other student? If the Dean speaks with the other student, don't you realize that the other student will make it clear that she was merely innocently asking whether you have children, and she's sorry that she hit a nerve, that she didn't realize you were so sensitive about being childless?

Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Tell her that no one hands out gold medals for getting married before age 30. She "wins" nothing by getting married or having kids early in life. This is why I can't stand being around newly engaged women in their early 20s, flashing their diamond ring around and wanting to be worshipped by everyone. Ain't gonna happen. It's as common as dirt to get married and it doesn't make anyone special.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
There are a lot of options between "ignore it" and "snarky comeback" that don't lead to arguing and physical altercations and certainly don't involve getting someone else to handle something you should be adult enough to handle on your own.

Just say you're choosing to focus on your education, and leave it at that.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
You need to understand the role of the dean before you choose the dean as the appropriate route for your personal situation. The role of the dean is to hire and manage staff, oversee curriculum mapping, address academic concerns, ensure high student completion rates, put the school on the map as "the greatest", oversee budgets, professional development for staff and other dean-like things.

You're right about not engaging, but I do think it's a mistake to report it to the dean. If you are having difficulties with interpersonal relationships in the form of remaining silent when other students are cruel, the most the dean can do is to refer you to assertive training courses.

When you write this: "That's why I felt that the Dean needed to intervene", it sounds like you've already reported this to the dean. If so, what did the Dean suggest?

What do you hope to achieve by reporting it to the Dean? Are you hoping that it will result in a black mark on the other student? If the Dean speaks with the other student, don't you realize that the other student will make it clear that she was merely innocently asking whether you have children, and she's sorry that she hit a nerve, that she didn't realize you were so sensitive about being childless?
I feel that reporting it to the Dean might help mediate the situation. Because she is obviously trying to bait me into a argument or even physical fight. She's a single mother with two kids, if I bring that up she is going to get mad at me and want to fight.

If she wants to know if I have a significant other or not, or plan to have kids in the future, she can simply ask. It's not that hard to do

Old 02-22-2018, 08:31 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Exactly. It's insulting to the Dean to reduce his/her role to playground monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There are a lot of options between "ignore it" and "snarky comeback" that don't lead to arguing and physical altercations and certainly don't involve getting someone else to handle something you should be adult enough to handle on your own.

Just say you're choosing to focus on your education, and leave it at that.
What are those options?

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
?
NOBODY has to tolerate harassment in an academic program or anywhere else. Yes if someone is being harassed on a regular basis by another student they HAVE A RIGHT TO FILE A COMPLAINT.

Nobody has to tolerate abuse and remain silent or keep trying to deal with the abuser on their own. Should she try on her own at first? Sure ask the person to leave you alone and stop talking to you. But if they don't stop, then it's time to report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships