Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:14 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times

Advertisements

Here's something that has's been asked on City-Data yet: What do people think of being on the receiving end of lift-off hugs? The kind where one person embraces the other, and briefly lifts them off the ground/floor. Political correctness aside, it's usually women being on the receiving end of such hugs, with men doing the lifting. For reasons that women tend to be lighter than men and that me tend to be physically stronger than women. As an average-sized man, I've never been on the receiving end of such hugs. Well, possibly as a young child from family, but I'm talking about lift-off hugs between two adults.

While I find these hugs to be pretty fun, I give them very judiciously. I stick to regular hugs unless I'm certain beyond a shadow of doubt that a lift-off hug is OK. I'm aware that not all women like them, and that it's not suitable in all situations. The only people I do the latter with, are some of the women I dated and close female friends I knew for some time, if we're both single. And if friends, not always; just once in a while, and even then, in jest or at moments that warrant a closer-than-normal hug.

Women's opinions on lift-off hugs seem to be divided. Some women like them; they say that being lifted off the ground makes them feel protected by the person doing the lifting, or even "dominated in a good way". Or simply because "it's fun". (Assuming that the person doing the lifting is a boyfriend, a close male friend, or an older brother.) Other women vehemently dislike such hugs; they find them objectifying in one way or another. All this doesn't even factor in those awkward situations where a man tries a lift-off hug on a woman, but can't do it; either because she's heavier than he expected (which embarrasses her), or because he's not as strong as he thought (which embarrasses him).

Men's opinions (on being lifted off the ground) are so few in number, apparently, that I couldn't find anything online.

Looking for input from the City-Data crowd now, both men and women.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-19-2018 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 07:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
I am having a hard time understanding when this would be at all appropriate with a friend.

No one has ever done this to me that I can recall.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:25 AM

28 posts, read 44,412 times
If that is what people enjoy doing with each other, then all good. If you're on the receiving end of an unwanted one then it gets weird.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:38 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
One of my sons greeted me that way when he would come back from college on breaks. While it was nice to be missed, I didn't like it. And if any other man hugged me that way I'd resent it. It's a dominance thing IMO, stupid and disrespectful.
And of course there's always the possibility of injuring somebody's back. Don't do it.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:43 AM

1,201 posts, read 802,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
One of my sons greeted me that way when he would come back from college on breaks. While it was nice to be missed, I didn't like it. And if any other man hugged me that way I'd resent it. It's a dominance thing IMO, stupid and disrespectful.
And of course there's always the possibility of injuring somebody's back. Don't do it.
Totally agree with this.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:06 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
not good.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:13 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:

Yes, not a "thing" when both parties are presumed equals.

Quote:
As an average-sized man, I've never been on the receiving end of such hugs. Well, possibly as a young child from family, but I'm talking about lift-off hugs between two adults

Bingo.

Who wants to be treated as a young chid?

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-19-2018 at 08:37 AM..

Old 02-19-2018, 08:18 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
Quote:
I agree also.

There is no good reason to do it to another adult.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:18 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
I can't imagine hugging my mother that way, either. They can be hazardous if not done right, similar to dips during waltz dancing. And an older person's back is more likely to be injured by the impact of being lifted than a younger person's. So I'd only do it with women in my dating age range, if at all.

As for the dominance factor, it's not a problem if done in a lighthearted, playful manner.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:20 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I can't imagine hugging my mother that way, either. They can be hazardous if not done right, similar to dips during waltz dancing. And an older person's back is more likely to be injured by the impact of being lifted than a younger person's. So I'd only do it with women in my dating age range.

As for the dominance factor, it's not a problem if done in a lighthearted, playful manner. But it's there; I know.
How does the recipient know it's being "done in a lighthearted, playful manner."?

It's creepy AF in my opinion. Only thing worse is the creepy 'shoulder rub' guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships