Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 03:28 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times

Advertisements

So, I have this neighbor who lives downstairs.

He's an Asian guy, and I'm not being racist because I am also Asian (American).

He will talk on the phone loud in Chinese and I can hear it all.

So ... he will talk every day on the phone for 3, 4, 5 sometimes 6 hours in a row. He'll do it during the day, at night, early in morning. 11 PM, 2 AM.

I've complained and tried to talk to him, confronted him, he rarely opens the door when I knock. He runs away when I try and talk to him when I catch him in the parking lot.

As far as I can tell he doesn't have a job and rarely leaves the apartment.

So, tell me. What can a single person who spends all of their time at home possible have to talk about on the phone for that many hours? And who on the other end would listen for that many hours. I mean, I talk to my sister whom I haven't spoken to for sometimes months and the conversation lasts like 30 minutes. Maybe. She has stuff to do and kids.

Granted, I'm not the most social person, but I'm seriously wondering. What can you talk about for hours on end if you're a person who doesn't really have anything to talk about?

Does somebody have like a mother or father or grandparents who just talk all day long? I've also noticed that sometimes when I go into a deli or gas station, the attendants are just on the (hands-free) phone and I can tell they've been doing that all day. Do people talk about like literally what they are doing at the moment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 03:33 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Do you ever have a conversation with a person? That is what they are doing on the phone. I have had hour long discussions on the phone on everything from Pre WW1 Europe to the Arizona Cardinals salary cap and who should be cut to make cap room.

You do know that some people talk about things other than themselves, children, and jobs.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:34 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,203,050 times
He may be talking to himself, he may be on the phone, but whatever it is if it's disrupting your life significantly you can talk to the management if you are renting or get yourself earmuff headphones. If he isn't disrupting your life and you are just wanting to vent and try to understand so be it. I don't like chatting on the phone, some people do.
ps. I don't think his ethnicity is relevant at all, only thing that is relevant is you find his talking a long time on the phone irritating

Old 02-26-2018, 03:36 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
He may have his own business and uses a phone to operate it. He might have customers in different time zones overseas. You are assuming a lot about someone you haven't even talked to. The manner in which you approach him obviously upsets or frightens him. Maybe that's the problem.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-26-2018 at 03:49 PM..

Old 02-26-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Do you ever have a conversation with a person? That is what they are doing on the phone. I have had hour long discussions on the phone on everything from Pre WW1 Europe to the Arizona Cardinals salary cap and who should be cut to make cap room.

You do know that some people talk about things other than themselves, children, and jobs.
For four hours in a row, every day? At different times of the day?

I get there are things to talk about, and I myself have gone on tangents over the phone. But seriously?

Old 02-26-2018, 04:02 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,257,602 times
My sister and I had a phone conversation that lasted 9 hours one time. We talked about everything under the sun, where one topic lead into another and so on.

I'm not typically a phone person, but there are some people in my life that I've had long/multi-hour phone conversations with and enjoyed every minute of it.

With that said, if your neighbor is being loud and disruptive at all hours of the day, then I'd turn him in to the apartment manager and let them handle the situation.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:03 PM

270 posts, read 211,142 times
I don't think you want to be my neighbor lol. I talk nonstop from am to pm. I even yell because my clients are hard of hearing.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
For four hours in a row, every day? At different times of the day?

I get there are things to talk about, and I myself have gone on tangents over the phone. But seriously?

He may be doing business from home.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
My sister and I had a phone conversation that lasted 9 hours one time. We talked about everything under the sun, where one topic lead into another and so on.

I'm not typically a phone person, but there are some people in my life that I've had long/multi-hour phone conversations with and enjoyed every minute of it.

With that said, if your neighbor is being loud and disruptive at all hours of the day, then I'd turn him in to the apartment manager and let them handle the situation.
I'll be honest, it's very annoying whenever I hear it. But I only have ever complained during sleeping hours.

I also don't think it's work related because ...

1) He talks all hours when the US is asleep and when Asia is asleep.

2) Work calls would have very quick ones, with a pause, and then some long ones.

His are all very long. Like never shorter than 2 hours. And he is doing the talking 90% of the time. There's very little listening, it's like a non-stop barrage of him talking.

I do suspect he is talking to himself, but even then ... how could you come up with enough to fill 4 hours every day? And those are just the times I am home. I go to work every day.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I'll be honest, it's very annoying whenever I hear it. But I only have ever complained during sleeping hours.

I also don't think it's work related because ...

1) He talks all hours when the US is asleep and when Asia is asleep.

2) Work calls would have very quick ones, with a pause, and then some long ones.

His are all very long. Like never shorter than 2 hours. And he is doing the talking 90% of the time. There's very little listening, it's like a non-stop barrage of him talking.

I do suspect he is talking to himself, but even then ... how could you come up with enough to fill 4 hours every day? And those are just the times I am home. I go to work every day.
Well china isn't asleep when the US is, it's currently 6pm in dc and 7:16am in china. That aside there are people who have issues that can talk non stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships