Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 12:22 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
My younger sibling is engaged and supposed to be getting married this summer. He mentioned this to a family friend , I heard with my own ears them say “well better late than never...”
Uh excuse me?
Is that pretty rude and out of place to say in response to an announcement like that? Kind of the same as if you announce your pregnancy and someone says “well I guess better late than never...”
I wanted to say “ and maybe one day you’ll recover from being an idiot- better late than never”

Am I making this a bigger deal than it is or is that as rude as it sounds to me?
Yes, it sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill! It sounds like the thing one would say in a lighthearted teasing manner and I can't imagine being offended by it. Unless of course one is already very insecure about not having already been married. Life is a lot easier when you aren't looking hard for things to be offended by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 01:05 PM

9,859 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Yes. But his personality type is to not confront someone with it
Good for him. As they used to say, don't sweat the small stuff.

Let it go, let it go....

Old 02-28-2018, 01:39 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,717 times
Yes, it was rather rude, but it isn't a remark that I would be mortally offended by. Some people just blurt out whatever comes to mind. Folks like that can be annoying, but they are fairly common.

I can understand feeling momentarily irritated by a comment like that, but not being so offended that I write a thread about it on City-Data. If this is the most offensive remark your brother ever has to put up with, he should count himself lucky.

TL,DR- It's in the past, far from the worst thing ever said, time to get over it.

Last edited by Gfab1; 02-28-2018 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-01-2018, 06:05 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,339,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I got married later in life. I had one person say that exact same thing.
I am actually anti getting married early. Every one of my closest friends, every single person that I am close with (5 former couples), married before 25: is divorced.
Y'know those times when you think of the perfect reply, only hours later and it's now too late? This was not one of those times...
"Better late then never" he said to me.
"Better late, then divorced" I replied.
Yea, he was divorced sharing custody of the 2 kids.
I'm still married today.
Good response.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:38 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
My younger sibling is engaged and supposed to be getting married this summer. He mentioned this to a family friend , I heard with my own ears them say “well better late than never...”
Uh excuse me?
Is that pretty rude and out of place to say in response to an announcement like that? Kind of the same as if you announce your pregnancy and someone says “well I guess better late than never...”
I wanted to say “ and maybe one day you’ll recover from being an idiot- better late than never”

Am I making this a bigger deal than it is or is that as rude as it sounds to me?
I wouldn't feed it too much, but yeah, your family friend is a boor.

What a stupid thing to say.

Somebody said that to me when I got engaged at 30. It was an older man, a coworker. He heard I got engaged and called me to say, "I was so happy to hear that you are finally getting married."

He himself had been married five times, twice to the same woman. One of them he married on a Saturday and she filed for divorce on Monday.

Just tuck it away in your memory to use in the future if necessary.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-01-2018 at 06:48 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 06:51 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
None of your concern. My family made jokes like that because my wife and I were together for 6.5 years before we got married. I'd swear I heard the same exact statement. But it was said with a smile and with jest.

And even if it wasn't said like that, the only person that would take offense is the couple getting married, not you. If they can forgive them for the rude statement, so can you.

I had a relative miss my wedding for reasons that only the surface sounded like a poor excuse. But I had known that he had a trip planned a year in advance. And he was looking forward to it. We even talked about his trip about a week before I proposed to my girlfriend. My relative did not go to our wedding. He came to other pre-wedding events. We saw each other at family parties leading up to it. However, my father took great offense of this. And to this day, still won't talk to this individual. I had a discussion with my father saying "the only person that should be offended is me. Why would you be offended?" He had no good answer for that other than "I'm offended because you should be."

Don't tell us how we should feel

Old 03-01-2018, 07:22 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
People have a magical propensity to fit their feet in their mouths. It was rude, and there's always someone who is "that person".

Old 03-01-2018, 08:45 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
That was very rude. I can't even imagine saying that to someone. Just be happy for someone, can't you?!

Old 03-01-2018, 09:10 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Uh excuse me?

You're making a big deal out of something that wasn't even said to you! You don't know the backstory. I'd stop eavesdropping and mind my own business.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:18 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You're making a big deal out of something that wasn't even said to you! You don't know the backstory. I'd stop eavesdropping and mind my own business.
There wasn’t any eavesdropping I was there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships