Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 08:36 AM

453 posts, read 317,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
In Central and South America people acknowledge the Hispanic or Latin influence from Europe, however, people never called themselves Hispanic. I will admit they sometimes saw themselves as Latins. In any event I was referring to the formal term Hispanic which is predominantly used in the USA
the term was used to refer to latin america for centuries

latin americans refer to themself as hipanohablantes,
and the region as hispanoamerica, nothing to do with the USA

this books are over 100 years old and use the term hispano to refer to latin america.
Attached Thumbnails
Mexicans prefer to be called Spanish?-hispanic2.jpg   Mexicans prefer to be called Spanish?-hispanic1.jpg  

Old 03-02-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
In Central and South America people acknowledge the Hispanic or Latin influence from Europe, however, people never called themselves Hispanic. I will admit they sometimes saw themselves as Latins. In any event I was referring to the formal term Hispanic which is predominantly used in the USA
"The term "Hispanic" was adopted by the United States government in the early 1970s during the administration of Richard Nixon[18] after the Hispanic members of an interdepartmental Ad Hoc Committee to develop racial and ethnic definitions recommended that a universal term encompassing all Hispanic subgroups—including Central and South Americans—be adopted.
Huffington Post: "Latino Or Hispanic? How The Federal Government Decided" By Grace Flores-Hughes"

"Adopted" doesn't mean coined, means taken, they chose to use that word, but that work already existed and was in good use in Spanish to refer to the people of Latin america.

if americans invented "hispanic" in the 70s. how there is a book from 1865 referring to Latin america as Hispanic america?

Old 03-02-2018, 09:04 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
"The term "Hispanic" was adopted by the United States government in the early 1970s during the administration of Richard Nixon[18] after the Hispanic members of an interdepartmental Ad Hoc Committee to develop racial and ethnic definitions recommended that a universal term encompassing all Hispanic subgroups—including Central and South Americans—be adopted.
Huffington Post: "Latino Or Hispanic? How The Federal Government Decided" By Grace Flores-Hughes"

"Adopted" doesn't mean coined, means taken, they chose to use that word, but that work already existed and was in good use in Spanish to refer to the people of Latin america.

if americans invented "hispanic" in the 70s. how there is a book from 1865 referring to Latin america as Hispanic america?
Hispanic is definitely a purely American term. When you go to Latin America, people use the term "Latino". If you use the term "Hispano" (Hispanic), nobody will know what you are talking about and half of them will look at you like you are crazy,

Old 03-02-2018, 09:16 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
I agree with most of what you said UPthere22, but not this "by the way, no one that call themselves "Spanish" is trying to be white or from Spain, its making the point they come from a Spanish speaking country." when my mother-in-law calls her mom "Spanish" there is a sort of proud gleam that denotes a kind of preference to be seen a certain way, a definite nod to being "whiter". She never mentions what the other side look like except (really Mexican and dark).

Like someone else said the whiter ones were more status achieving and there is some prejudices left from that.

I find it all really interesting and wonder how much is truth and lies. I keep looking at the food they cook trying to see the Spanish influence and I have not. They cook like Hispanic people from Mexican descent. However I am somewhat ignorant and would not be surprised if I was wrong or they just switched to the other cooking because their husbands preferred it maybe.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Hispanic is definitely a purely American term. When you go to Latin America, people use the term "Latino". If you use the term "Hispano" (Hispanic), nobody will know what you are talking about and half of them will look at you like you are crazy,
you are ether not Hispanic or an un-educated one, because hispano is a very common term to refer to the people of Latin america in Spanish.

An example of this is the hundreds of professional groups and associations called "association hispanoamericana of _______' just fill the line with any trade or profession you like and there will be one.

there is even a hispanomerican anthem lol written in 1931
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLNZkQSmJ10

but it was some gringo that came up with the term.....

Old 03-02-2018, 09:30 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:

I am not saying the word or term Hispanic never existed in the past. IN fact, it goes back to the country of Hispania which is now España (Spain). The term is more than 2000 years old.

Sure, people in Latin America are and were Hispano-parlantes. But, they did not classify themselves as Hispanic in the sense it is done today in the USA.

The term Hispanic was first introduced by the US Census Bureau in 1970.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I agree with most of what you said UPthere22, but not this "by the way, no one that call themselves "Spanish" is trying to be white or from Spain, its making the point they come from a Spanish speaking country." when my mother-in-law calls her mom "Spanish" there is a sort of proud gleam that denotes a kind of preference to be seen a certain way, a definite nod to being "whiter". She never mentions what the other side look like except (really Mexican and dark).

Like someone else said the whiter ones were more status achieving and there is some prejudices left from that.

I find it all really interesting and wonder how much is truth and lies. I keep looking at the food they cook trying to see the Spanish influence and I have not. They cook like Hispanic people from Mexican descent. However I am somewhat ignorant and would not be surprised if I was wrong or they just switched to the other cooking because their husbands preferred it maybe.
food is trick i guess, because tends to come form local supply or what its available on that region.
in the Caribbean they do cook dished with a strong resemblance to the traditional Spanish paella
but the rest of Latin america tends to have its own cooking based on local supply...thats my theory.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I am not saying the word or term Hispanic never existed in the past. IN fact, it goes back to the country of Hispania which is now España (Spain).

Sure, people in Latin America are and were Hispano-parlantes. But, they did not classify themselves as Hispanic in the sense it is done today in the USA.

The term Hispanic was first introduced by the US Census Bureau in 1970.
in English, in Spanish hispano as a classification to defer from ibero, or peninsular has been is used for centuries, just because something is new in English is not new.

thats "columbusing" pretending you discovered something because its new to you.

so if tomorrow the census decide to call portugese/brazilans "Lusitanians" will they have invented a new term?

Old 03-02-2018, 09:40 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
in English, in Spanish hispano as a classification to defer from ibero, or peninsular has been is used for centuries, just because something is new in English is not new.

thats "columbusing" pretending you discovered something because its new to you.
I agree with you. The term is more than 2000 years old. But, it became the official term in the USA in 1970. IN fact, now we have WHITE Hispanic and WHITE non-Hispanic. It is a fetish for the classification of people. Thanks for teaching the new word "columbusing".

Old 03-02-2018, 10:05 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
An example of this is the hundreds of professional groups and associations called "association hispanoamericana of _______' just fill the line with any trade or profession you like and there will be one.

there is even a hispanomerican anthem lol written in 1931

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLNZkQSmJ10

but it was some gringo that came up with the term.....
Using the term "Hispanoamerica/n" (which is an outdated term itself) to refer to the Spanish speaking diaspora is not the same as referring to themselves and each other as "Hispano" (Hispanic) though.

I have been to Latin American countries and nobody referred to themselves as "Hispano". Many even looked funny when I used it. They did very confidently and proudly call themselves Latinos, though, or Costa Ricans, Panamanians, Venezuelans, etc. And these were folks of all education levels and social statuses using the term Latino. None of them ever said Hispanic. I only hear that in the US, and a lot of US Spanish speakers---especially depending on the country their originate from---don't even use it anymore.

I do hear plenty of NON-Latino Americans (mostly white people) still heavily using the term "Hispanic" though, even if they use it interchangeably with the term Latino. It's almost like the term "African American"; white folks use it to sound politically correct when referring to Black people, but most Black people just call themselves "Black" instead of "African American," although you do get some who occasionally throw the term around themselves, mostly out in public to sound formal like white people try to do when referring to Black people as "African Americans."

Last edited by NoClueWho; 03-02-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships