Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
With total rent for a two bed/two bath being $745 I think we can roll the dice and say it's not NYC or anywhere in the NYC area, my guess would be the midwest or south.
Well, that's why I said an area 'like NYC' meaning with laws like NYC has. I did see the price and already knew it wasn't in NYC. What I don't know is if other areas of the country have the same law that's on the books that NYC has about people (renters, squatters, couch surfers, whatever) having legal rights to a place just because they called that place home for 30 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 09:18 PM

468 posts, read 356,362 times
I'm of the opinion that she is taking advantage of your kindness and that is why she called you because she knew you were kind and she felt she could BS and use you .....but the fact is she is a dead beat who will only place unnecessary stress into your life even if she started to pay you rent etc......the sooner you have her out of your apartment the better off you will be ....she is not a real friend.....she has serious problems so you need to move her out ASAP...good luck.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:58 PM

38 posts, read 34,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Not your problem. It's none of your business until she stops paying the utilities and rent. Oh wait....she's not paying rent. Why on earth you'd let someone live with you for free is beyond me. Here's the best part...unless she agrees to leave, you would have to evict her!
Well, when she called me she said that she needed a place to move or else she would be living in her car, so I felt bad for her.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:00 PM

38 posts, read 34,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Hmmm I wonder what the argument with the parents was over...

Couldn't have been money and lack of budgeting or clearing debts...

You need to sit down with her and tell her if she can afford her toys, she can afford to chip in on rent. If she can't do that, it's time for her to leave.
When she called me she said that her parents were kicking her out over some drama. I later talked with her brother (who was there) and he told me her parents didn't really kick her out but started arguing with her about not pulling her weight and apparently it got very heated.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I think if you need her to move, you need to act on this quickly. There is a law which recognizes people who have lived in a place for a long time as having rights, as in the right not to be evicted even if they have not been paying rent.

Frankly, that's what I'd do. I'd give her an ultimatum: either start paying rent or leave by a date in four weeks. And stick to it.
Otherwise, I think you will be stuck for a long time, and might have to yourself vacate to be rid of her.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:12 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishim View Post
Well, when she called me she said that she needed a place to move or else she would be living in her car, so I felt bad for her.
She had you pegged as a sucker. She was right. Time for her to pay rent or move out. I'd just ask her to move out especially since she's not on the lease. You could lose your lease because of the user.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:30 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
Quote:
She told me that she has decided to file for bankruptcy just needs to be save up enough money to do it.
This is my favorite nugget!
Good thing she's now working a second job! SMH.

Have her listen to this guy.
I'm not a total die-hard fan, but he has some good suggestions. https://www.daveramsey.com/

Old 03-03-2018, 02:35 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Quote:
My apartment is two bedrooms/2 bath. She didn't "officially" move in far as the landlord knows. As it is there is rent ($745), electric (around $100) internet ($90) and water (around $50). So if she were to split evenly it would be around $500 or so per person.
The fishing reel and handgun would have covered that $500. She really is a user, isn’t she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This isn't a friend. A friend would say I need to pay my way so I'll pay rent and utilities. This is a mooch....a user. Not a friend.
Bingo. Plus she apparently lied to you about being kicked out of her parents’ home.

You need to stand up to her and tell her you feel she is taking advantage of you and she needs to find other arrangements. This is a person who has gotten away with being irresponsible and impulsive because there have never been any consequences. Heck she’s even going to be bailed out through bankruptcy!

Old 03-03-2018, 08:25 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Get her out. She could put you in jeopardy. She sounds like the type where you could come from work one day and find her gone, and maybe some of your stuff gone.
This!

I side with all the other posters here. This "friend" is taking advantage of you and most likely she will not pay you for rent. You need to set a firm date for her to get out. She may even resort to taking your stuff.

To the OP, come back and tell us what happened.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:55 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
She lied to you. Very untrustworthy.

She will never resort to living in her car, she will go back home until the next fight with her parents and then find another person who will believe her lying sob story.

Kick her out before she causes you more stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships