Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayton View Post
There's a woman that I've been acquainted with for a couple of years, that I rather like. She has some good qualities but there's one thing about her that I find offputting. She spends an inordinate amount of time talking about other people's relationship issues. She always has an opinion on everything to do with other people's situations or problems. If someone is talking about something or other related to dating, I look at her and I can tell that she's about to weigh in, and sure enough she does.

Well, what a surprise that she might "weigh in" in a group discussion.

I like her but this concerns me because it makes me think that she's one of those people who really has nothing better to do than yap about other people's affairs. I can't help thinking that perhaps she doesn't have anything much to offer herself.

"Offer" to whom? You? And you are offering – what, pray tell?

Am I overthinking it or could it be that this is a big red flag?

A big red flag to what, exactly? Dating her?
There's not enough information presented by OP to declare this woman boorish, obsessed, a Nosy Parker, possessed by madness, or any other thing. He's (I assume he's a he) identified something about the woman's personality that he doesn't like. She's not going to change so there must be enough of a payoff for him to continue to be in her presence. What's that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 11:28 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
She obviously has no life or business of her own so she gossips about everyone else's.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:39 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:

Well you must realize that she'll be talking about YOU too...behind your back.
If you're OK with that so be it.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:33 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Quote:
There's a woman that I've been acquainted with for a couple of years, that I rather like. She has some good qualities but there's one thing about her that I find offputting. She spends an inordinate amount of time talking about other people's relationship issues. She always has an opinion on everything to do with other people's situations or problems. If someone is talking about something or other related to dating, I look at her and I can tell that she's about to weigh in, and sure enough she does.
She's a fixer who is too afraid of her own issues to fix herself.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:04 PM

8 posts, read 4,242 times
I guess she ran out of things to watch on TV.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:37 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:

I like her but this concerns me because it makes me think that she's one of those people who really has nothing better to do than yap about other people's affairs. I can't help thinking that perhaps she doesn't have anything much to offer herself. Am I overthinking it or could it be that this is a big red flag?

Red flag? You mean it's an all-or-nothing situation where you either do nothing or turn your back on her?

Why don't you speak up? If it's a big deal for you, it's not that hard to say - especially if there's a third person there, "Excuse me, guys, but I think it's tacky to be dissecting other people's lives."

On the other hand, personally, I like friends who have opinions and voice them. If the conversation is about someone doing something deplorable, I hope to have friends with standard who weigh in.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:24 PM

599 posts, read 693,257 times
If she is gossiping about others, than most likely she is telling your business to others. follow your gut feeling, this is clearly a red flag to let her go

Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,494 times
Quote:

I like her but this concerns me because it makes me think that she's one of those people who really has nothing better to do than yap about other people's affairs. I can't help thinking that perhaps she doesn't have anything much to offer herself.

Poor thing, sounds like she doesn't have much of a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships