Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 09:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Confession time: I am low key social media stalking an acquaintance-ish person. I probably have a crush but let’s just say it is an impractical one. It is a person I get along with well but they live on the other side of tge country. Sort of like right person wrong time sort of thing.

Anyway, I use facebook frequently, mostly to share articles, things I observe and ocassional pictures and check-ins with friends. I post fairly often a couple dozen times in a week. Weighted about 75-80% towards articles.

I have tagged some people as top friends to keep them on top of my feed. This list is a mostly mix of actual good friends, family, people I want to keep tabs on and people who post interesting things. This person falls into the 3rd and 4th buckets. I also follow this person on Spotify to peep their playlists (we have a lot of music taste crossover).

He is not a prolific poster on facebook or other social media, but posts interesting things when he does. Ocassionally I’ll interact and vice versa. Sometimes if I haven’t seen any updates for a month or 2, I’ll scope his page and see what’s there - his friends post funny videos. And once in a while we’ll connect over some texts in real life.

But let’s say he is basically an acquaintance.

So back to facebook - his birthday is in a few weeks and facebook keeps “reminding me” to setup an event for his birthday. It is like facebook knows about my multimedia stalking. It doesn’t do this for all people in your tops frieds list, as I can think of two actual good friends for who I didn’t get this ping for. And we are all in the same location. And they engage more with my facebook life. It is not based on number of pictures you are tagged in together. Or events. Or mutual friends.

So I am curious - how does the algorithm decide who to tell you to create events for? If does not seem logical to me. Do you notice a pattern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 02:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Yes, it tracks your activity.

All that clicking you do, all the links and articles you share, every post you like, all that is considered. So whenever you've searched for him, that is factored in.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:36 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,955 times
Does the other person know if you've clicked on hisorher profile and how many times you've clicked it?
If I click on a strangers profile will the know?

Old 03-03-2018, 06:38 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Do you know when anyone clicks your profile?

That's your answer.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:40 AM

Your friends that you engage more.... it should be telling you about their birthdays too... IF they are sharing their birthday publicly... they may not be. I don't.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Do you know when anyone clicks your profile?

That's your answer.
I don't know because I made a fake facebook account for stalking and has the most private settings set so it would be hard to come across my fake profile

Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 AM

The answer to the question is, there is no facebook notification to tell you who clicks your profile.

So they don't know when you click theirs either.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:11 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
AND THATS WHY I’m NOT ON SOCIAL MEDIA!!! Stalking someone? WOW!

Old 03-03-2018, 08:18 AM

Good grief. There are settings on social media, to show people what you want them to see. You don't have to put anything there you don't want people to see... But it is a great way to share things you DO want people to see.

It's really not that scary.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:22 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The answer to the question is, there is no facebook notification to tell you who clicks your profile.

So they don't know when you click theirs either.
Exactly. In fact, when I set up my business page, I thought I’d get to see who clicked my page, but nope, don’t even get to see them on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships