Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 03:28 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We had used a contractor for some work around the house. He is well known in our area and has signs and jobs everywhere. The work was okay, not stellar, not bad, and we have some more to do so we were going to invite him to bid as well as a few others that we identified.

We were in the local hardware big box store a few weeks ago and spotted him in the lumber section. He was livid, lambasting an employee with all manner of insults both personal and racist. The employee seemed understandably flustered. The contractor was bright red, veins sticking out, furious. I have no idea what the problem was as we took our leave of that part of the store quickly.

I have taken him off of my list of bidders as his entire demeanor was totally unprofessional at the store. A friend had him bidding for some work for her and I told her the story. She didn't seem phased and says its all about his bottom line. For me, he seems to have some anger issues and I don't want to potentially deal with that, and what he said to the employee was ugly and inexcusable. There are other fish in the sea as they say.

Would you hire someone like this? Would their public racist rant bother you?
I most certainly would not. In fact, I probably would have told him, right there in the store, that he had lost all future business from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 03:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,723,638 times
If I'd heard the rant, I wouldnt hire him. IF someone told me about the rant, I might have because then it is just hearsay.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:44 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,004 times
I have had my fair share of saying racist/sexist remarks online, in person, at work, and some social settings. I have gotten fired for shooting my mouth off. That said, I would not hire this guy.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:56 PM

679 posts, read 812,034 times
I can't stand disrespectful behavior anymore. Even if its directed towards a competitor or enemy(not that I have any enemies.)

Its a warning sign of how bad he treats his employees. How well do you think a pissed off employee is going to perform on your job? I wouldn't take the risk.

Back pre 2008, we had a Washington Mutual wholesale mortgage rep who would come by our office. Every other word was a curse word about underwriting or the competition. Needless to say, we didn't send any business to WaMu.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:03 PM

45 posts, read 28,496 times
I would not hire him. That employee does not need his bull<bleep>.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-07-2018 at 05:25 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 04:15 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Depends on the quality of work.

I honestly don't care about a persons beliefs if they're good at the job I want to hire them for.
I don't care what their beliefs are either but when you are in business for yourself you should be professional about it and not get into it with employees at a store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I care only about the work quality and bottom line. I'm not going to marry this guy, he is only going to build me a balcony.
Again...he was not acting in a professional manner. Would you want to recommend him to others when he may go off on a rant at their homes? Better to stay clear of someone who acts out in anger.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:21 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Depends on the quality of work.

I honestly don't care about a persons beliefs if they're good at the job I want to hire them for.
I agree.

I've worked with a fer very "rough" speaking people who were exemplary employees and worked harder and did a better job than many others

Old 03-05-2018, 04:24 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
No, I personally wouldn't hire him. What people think in their own heads or say in the privacy of their home, I will never know. Once it becomes public like that, I get to decide what to do with that information.
And, that has what to do with the quality of the work?

Old 03-05-2018, 04:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Our brains have this terrible weakness that if things are not affecting/offending "us" then it doesn't matter or doesn't matter nearly as much as it does to those it does affect.

So to the one's who say the ridiculousness of I'm not going to marry the guy, just want them to paint the house. I say - would you feel that way if you were of the same race that the guy was hurling racial slurs at? The obvious answer is no, that you would not only not hire the guy, you'd beat the bejeesuz out of him. So why? Why is it ok to hire him because he can paint a house? Obvious answer is because your in idiot who is ok with racists as long as it not racist towards your race.
Obvious to a PSYCHO, maybe.

Normal people don't physically assault others over some perceived verbal transgressions.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-07-2018 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: red font is reserved for moderation

Old 03-05-2018, 04:27 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I agree.

I've worked with a fer very "rough" speaking people who were exemplary employees and worked harder and did a better job than many others

Rough speaking is one thing. Totally losing it to anger is another. I have hired and known many hard working rough kinds of contractors who were very good at what they did. "But" they acted as professionals when it came to their job and the people who worked for and with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships