Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 02:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcmm-78 View Post
Can you give examples of what you mean by project?
When I was on the PTA committee, several years in a row we put together a booth at an Earth Day event. One year we made homemade bird feeders that consisted of ... I can't remember anything more than peanut butter and birdseed. Anyway, we had to have several meetings to plan what we were going to do, divvy up parts of the project (getting supplies, putting together a blurb in the school newsletter, contacting the Earth Day organizers, etc.). On the day of the event we had to get there to put the booth together and have people scheduled to work it all day. We usually met over lunch for the meetings which worked for the the SAHMs and the WOTHMs. The day of the event was fun and by the time the event was over, we felt like friends. We did that a couple of different years with different projects at the event.

Another thing we did on that committee was host an art contest for the kids and the winner's design was put on a tote bag. We did several things over the years but it's the planning and working together toward a common goal that helps the friendships form.

With the volunteer stuff I do now, I co-coach an academic team at a high school and we work during the fall and winter for a competition in February. I was acquainted with my fellow coaches before I started doing this, but now I consider them friends. We have lunch together and are already talking about next year's team.

I've also worked with dogs at the local animal shelter, but didn't feel like I really made friends doing that. I would just show up, exercise dogs til I had to go, and leave. That's why I feel like longer-term projects are better for cultivating friendships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 02:59 PM

134 posts, read 96,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
When I was on the PTA committee, several years in a row we put together a booth at an Earth Day event. One year we made homemade bird feeders that consisted of ... I can't remember anything more than peanut butter and birdseed. Anyway, we had to have several meetings to plan what we were going to do, divvy up parts of the project (getting supplies, putting together a blurb in the school newsletter, contacting the Earth Day organizers, etc.). On the day of the event we had to get there to put the booth together and have people scheduled to work it all day. We usually met over lunch for the meetings which worked for the the SAHMs and the WOTHMs. The day of the event was fun and by the time the event was over, we felt like friends. We did that a couple of different years with different projects at the event.

Another thing we did on that committee was host an art contest for the kids and the winner's design was put on a tote bag. We did several things over the years but it's the planning and working together toward a common goal that helps the friendships form.

With the volunteer stuff I do now, I co-coach an academic team at a high school and we work during the fall and winter for a competition in February. I was acquainted with my fellow coaches before I started doing this, but now I consider them friends. We have lunch together and are already talking about next year's team.

I've also worked with dogs at the local animal shelter, but didn't feel like I really made friends doing that. I would just show up, exercise dogs til I had to go, and leave. That's why I feel like longer-term projects are better for cultivating friendships.
Ok...I understand now.

My kids' school has a PTO which I signed up to be a part of but they do most of the stuff during the day or over lunch which ends up not working for me, since I work at an office full time daily. But who knows, maybe the high school or middle school have things that are in the evening or weekends. I will look in my area to see if there is anything that would work out.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:03 PM

230 posts, read 161,482 times
I'm a little older than you, but Meetup has been FABULOUS for me. Highly recommend!

Old 03-06-2018, 03:43 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcmm-78 View Post
Ok...I understand now.

My kids' school has a PTO which I signed up to be a part of but they do most of the stuff during the day or over lunch which ends up not working for me, since I work at an office full time daily. But who knows, maybe the high school or middle school have things that are in the evening or weekends. I will look in my area to see if there is anything that would work out.
Hope you find something that works. You said that you do are acquainted with some of the moms of your children. Could you start a book club? Or host a mom's night out? Or a mom's brunch out? Or a "club" with that sort of activity so that you rotated hosting?

Just trying to think of something easy that would help you socialize some.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
The main problem I had with meetup groups were no-shows and people who would be very, very late. I eventually quit. I'd say, try joining one but if they are doing this kind of stuff, I'd cut it loose and find a different group. There are also cliques within the meetup groups. The one that I joined was formed by a woman and her two best friends, but they wouldn't relate to anyone else in the group and viewed the rest of us as "outsiders". No surprise that the group didn't last long.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:09 PM

219 posts, read 157,659 times
It took me some time to a find a group that worked well for me, but after trying several groups on my local MeetUp site, I finally found one that I really like. Oddly enough, it's called "Pathways for Fun After Forty." It's co-ed, there are many things to do (monthly bowling, candle-making, going to movies, arts and movie events, dancing...the list goes on) the organizer is a lot of fun and is open to all and any suggested ideas. At just forty myself, I'm one of the younger people in the group, but age truly is a number with these people. Perhaps there's similar group near you that you could check out.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Years in the Burgh View Post
It took me some time to a find a group that worked well for me, but after trying several groups on my local MeetUp site, I finally found one that I really like. Oddly enough, it's called "Pathways for Fun After Forty." It's co-ed, there are many things to do (monthly bowling, candle-making, going to movies, arts and movie events, dancing...the list goes on) the organizer is a lot of fun and is open to all and any suggested ideas. At just forty myself, I'm one of the younger people in the group, but age truly is a number with these people. Perhaps there's similar group near you that you could check out.
Im actually 39, but I put 40 to keep it simple!!!. Is that MeetUp in Pittsburgh, PA?

Last edited by mdcmm-78; 03-06-2018 at 08:50 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 08:57 PM

219 posts, read 157,659 times
It is! I joined last year after several "meh" encounters with other area MeetUp groups. While I haven't made it to too many events outside of the monthly bowling event as I work during the day on weekends when some of the get togethers happen, the ones that I've been able to attend have been well worth the time and effort to go. The organizer is happy to have all kinds of people come to the events (no worries about being carded if you're under forty!). She's a "more the merrier" type of individual. If you're in the Pittsburgh area, you should consider checking it out.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Years in the Burgh View Post
It is! I joined last year after several "meh" encounters with other area MeetUp groups. While I haven't made it to too many events outside of the monthly bowling event as I work during the day on weekends when some of the get togethers happen, the ones that I've been able to attend have been well worth the time and effort to go. The organizer is happy to have all kinds of people come to the events (no worries about being carded if you're under forty!). She's a "more the merrier" type of individual. If you're in the Pittsburgh area, you should consider checking it out.
Small world! I am in Pittsburgh, I will definitely check it out! Nice to e-meet you!

Old 03-06-2018, 10:27 PM

359 posts, read 302,103 times
meetup, dog parks, volunteer activities, church functions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships