Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 04:27 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times

Advertisements

Kids’ Friends, church, volunteering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 05:56 AM

219 posts, read 157,509 times
Nice to e-meet you, too. Best of luck finding a group of new friends/acquaintances to do things with. It's hard to break into social circles here in Pittsburgh (especially in the newer suburbs--either with or without children), but there are plenty of others in your shoes who want to find people to do things with that don't necessarily revolve around parenthood/kids, sports or alcohol (not that there's anything the matter with those three things).

Last edited by Twenty Years in the Burgh; 03-07-2018 at 06:10 AM..

Old 03-07-2018, 07:50 AM

134 posts, read 96,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Years in the Burgh View Post
Nice to e-meet you, too. Best of luck finding a group of new friends/acquaintances to do things with. It's hard to break into social circles here in Pittsburgh (especially in the newer suburbs--either with or without children), but there are plenty of others in your shoes who want to find people to do things with that don't necessarily revolve around parenthood/kids, sports or alcohol (not that there's anything the matter with those three things).
It is! I think PTO moms, stay at home moms, or those with flexible jobs get more time to mingle with others at school and build relationships during the day. I work downtown and the three evening hours are spent taking the kids to their activities ... before you know the day is gone.

What you said about the three things is so true, just good/fun people to hang out with now and then!

I will definitely give MeetUp a try, that group you mentioned sounds fun. Now all I need is to find a babysitter

Old 03-07-2018, 08:23 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
What about your co-workers? Anyone worth hanging out after work with for a glass of wine?

Old 03-07-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
What about your co-workers? Anyone worth hanging out after work with for a glass of wine?
I work at a smaller office and am one of the managers. Most workers have a negative attitude. The positive ones worth hanging out with literally never leave their offices. We are parents running home after work and live in opposite parts of town. But I know what you mean, trying to think of people I currently know to build closer friendships. Will give it more thought for sure!

Old 03-07-2018, 09:54 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Same way you made friends before you was 40. C'mon now lol

Old 03-07-2018, 10:30 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The main problem I had with meetup groups were no-shows and people who would be very, very late. I eventually quit. I'd say, try joining one but if they are doing this kind of stuff, I'd cut it loose and find a different group. There are also cliques within the meetup groups. The one that I joined was formed by a woman and her two best friends, but they wouldn't relate to anyone else in the group and viewed the rest of us as "outsiders". No surprise that the group didn't last long.
My experience with Meetups has been that it's a great venue for having people to do things with if I don't have anyone in my existing circles to try something new or do an activity I enjoy, not so good for making meaningful friendships. As an organizer and participant, I find low level of commitment from attendees and some of the organizers. The better ones I've been to are work related or groups that are already established organizations outside Meetup, such as conservation organizations, that have a Meetup page for social media marketing purposes. The ones geared strictly towards singles have been my worst experiences.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Same way you made friends before you was 40. C'mon now lol
I disagree, I'm not talking about making small talk and smiling and how to approach people.

I'm talking about the change of life circumstances like having kids to attend to, jobs and other responsibilities that turn making new friendships more difficult than when you are single and in college.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:54 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
We moved to another state 2 years ago and I didn't know anyone here! Most of my "newer" friends are the mom's of my kids new friends. Not all, but I have become close with 2 of them. I invite their kids over to play and I ask the moms if they would like to stay for a bit and have coffee. I also had a ornament exchange around Christmas one night with some wine. Invited the neighborhood moms and some of my kids friends moms. Only about 5 came, but it was still fun. You could also host a book club or a Bunco night?

Obviously theses ideas don't always work, I have met some pretty crazy moms as well, but just more ideas!

Old 03-07-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
We moved to another state 2 years ago and I didn't know anyone here! Most of my "newer" friends are the mom's of my kids new friends. Not all, but I have become close with 2 of them. I invite their kids over to play and I ask the moms if they would like to stay for a bit and have coffee. I also had a ornament exchange around Christmas one night with some wine. Invited the neighborhood moms and some of my kids friends moms. Only about 5 came, but it was still fun. You could also host a book club or a Bunco night?

Obviously theses ideas don't always work, I have met some pretty crazy moms as well, but just more ideas!
That sounds fun! I do plan occasional playdates for my kids and talk to their friends' moms while they play. It's usually nice. Also, last year I got tired of no events and hosted my own end of summer kids party and invited some of those same families. It was fun, though I went overboard and overspent LOL But maybe having something not as elaborate a few times a year would work.

Thanks! for the ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships