Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:43 AM

749 posts, read 481,894 times

Advertisements

I hope you understand where I'm coming from. I may be a bit sensitive but he came across as kind of a douche. My cousin is more distantly related to me than his other cousins. We are 2nd cousins. But to me, you should always treat everyone with respect and introduce them as cousins.

We've been hanging out for a number of months now. He always wants me to hang out with him. And we've had our families get together too to get closer and we've watched family videos that I converted from old VHS tapes.

He loves telling other people we are related. And with his last friend, he said ''Wanna know something crazy? We are related.... ''SORT OF.........'' He's kind of my cousin. How does the family tree go again?''

One time he even told a girl, ''We're so far down the line, I'm not even sure we share the same blood.''

I gotta tell him he's gotta stop doing this. He thinks it's fun or something. Either call me cousin or don't even say we're related. Stop calling me a sort of cousin. I feel disrespected. If he continues maybe I should tell other people he's my ''Sort of'' friend, not a best friend but like an ''acquaintance'' friend or ''distant'' friend. See how he likes that. Hey, it goes both ways right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 03:58 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
He probably doesn't know it bothers you, sounds like he's saying it facetiously. I would tell him you don't like it when he pulls that line about you guys to other people. If he doesn't stop then, yeah, then he's not being respectful to you. At the moment though, it sounds like for some reason he gets a kick out of that story and enjoys telling it to other people and doesn't have any idea that it offends you (he may also not see the second cousin-thing as clearly as you do; when the relationship string gets that far down the line it can get confusing to some people). Honestly, it does sound like you're being a bit over sensitive. I would definitely talk to him about it though and see if he stops bringing it up.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:06 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,268 times
Why don't you just speak up and correct him whenever he introduces you to someone , just say loudly that you are in fact cousins with him. He'll get the message after you do this a few times.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:39 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Honestly, he just sounds like a doofus, who still can't get it through his own numbskull how second cousins are related.

Relax. You're just smarter than him, and he's just letting others know without knowing it himself.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:39 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
He loves telling other people we are related. And with his last friend, he said ''Wanna know something crazy? We are related.... ''SORT OF.........'' He's kind of my cousin. How does the family tree go again?''
Next time he says it, just reply "Not 'sort of' ... we ARE related. Our mothers [fathers; his father and my mother; whatever] are first cousins, so we are second cousins"

Last edited by hertfordshire; 03-09-2018 at 07:09 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Next time he says it, just reply "Not sort of ... we ARE related. Our mothers [fathers; his father and my mother; whatever] are first cousins, so we are second cousins"
I agree. And, if people still seem confused just add "My grandfather and his grandfather were brothers (or whatever is appropriate)".

Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 AM

400 posts, read 573,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
He probably doesn't know it bothers you, sounds like he's saying it facetiously. .

I'd agree with this. I have a similar situation where my wife has double cousins. I don't even bother trying to explain, I just make a facetious comment about how a lot of people in two different families got married. And there was no inbreeding involved.

I don't think being a double cousin, cousin, or 2nd cousin makes you any more or less important in the scheme of family. But I'd also have no issue saying that a double cousin is more related to you than a 2nd cousin.

I'm guessing he doesn't know you are taking it as a slight. Probably best to mention it, then see if he continues.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:37 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
OP, let's get down to the crux of the issue - why does this make you feel disrespected? Do you feel like people perceive you as less when he comments that you're "sorta" related.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I know a lot of people who get confused by anything past first cousins. They don't know what "second cousins" really means, and don't even start with all the "removeds". Completely befuddles them. So in their minds, "first cousins" are "real" cousins simply because it makes sense to them. All the other relations confuse them, so in their minds, it's like a second class of "family". They're the "sort of" family.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:57 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I know a lot of people who get confused by anything past first cousins. They don't know what "second cousins" really means, and don't even start with all the "removeds". Completely befuddles them. So in their minds, "first cousins" are "real" cousins simply because it makes sense to them. All the other relations confuse them, so in their minds, it's like a second class of "family". They're the "sort of" family.
Yep, that's how we are in our family. We know our first cousins are our cousins. No one knows how the other ones are really related or what they are officially called, but we never call them cousins. I guess we're a happily befuddled family!

But my son in law will call people cousins that are just close family friends that he grew up with. They're not related at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships